500 Jeffery Load 535 Grain Woodleighs

Aussie_Hunter

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Extremely happy with this load so far for the 500. In the last couple of days I have loaded 50 rounds and fired 25, my shoulder needs a bit of a rest now. Tested on the range, over the chrono and on game. Anyone else using the 535 grain Woodleighs in their 500 Jeffery?

535 grain Woodleigh RNSN Weldcores
Bertram Brass
Federal Match Primers
120 Grains of Alliant RL17
Averaging 2370fps out of my Blaser (23.5" barrel)

upload_2020-7-4_6-19-13.png

upload_2020-7-4_6-20-43.png

Wow! That looks to be a heck of a load (y)

I load the 550gn Woodleigh in my .458WM and they are doing 2080fps and recoil in my 9lb rifle is 80ft/lbs - HEAVY!
I just can't imagine what the recoil must be like firing a similar weight projectile but going 300fps quicker... WOW... you're made of sterner stuff than I!

I also can't imagine anything getting up after being hit with such a load. Lights out I reckon.

I'm becoming a bit of a fan of the 500 Jeffery so while I can't comment on actually shooting one or experience with the 535gn Woodleigh's - I'll be watching with interest...

Russ

I recently finished load development for my 500 Jeffery. I have 535 and 570 Woodleigh softs shoot at the same velocity (2305fps) hitting the same POI as the irons and a red dot. Have Hornaday solids also shooting within a inch of the softs. I am waiting on some 570 CEB solids to work on a similar load for them. I am very happy with the woodleigh bullets.

I find that 12 rounds is about where I need to stop per range session when shooting off the bench, off sticks it is much more comfortable. I am shooting a CZ that has been worked on to feed perfectly and the kevelar stock has been weighted to correctly balance the rifle between the hands.

When this Chinese crud finally goes away I am looking forward to taking it to africa for a hunt.

I recently finished load development for my 500 Jeffery. I have 535 and 570 Woodleigh softs shoot at the same velocity (2305fps) hitting the same POI as the irons and a red dot. Have Hornaday solids also shooting within a inch of the softs. I am waiting on some 570 CEB solids to work on a similar load for them. I am very happy with the woodleigh bullets.

I find that 12 rounds is about where I need to stop per range session when shooting off the bench, off sticks it is much more comfortable. I am shooting a CZ that has been worked on to feed perfectly and the kevelar stock has been weighted to correctly balance the rifle between the hands.

When this Chinese crud finally goes away I am looking forward to taking it to africa for a hunt.
With the 535 and 570grn projectiles doing the same velocity is there a noticeable difference in recoil? I'm using the lighter 535grn projectiles at the moment because I am mostly hunting thin skinned game right now. For buffalo I intend to use the Woodleigh 600grn PP, I figure a heavier bullet at a lower velocity with a protected point is going to be better for penetration on thick skinned game covered in mud. I intend to work on the load development of the 600grn projectile during the wet season at the end of the year when it is too wet to hunt.

There is a difference between the 2 kinda like shooting a 2 3/4 in 1 1/2oz load vs a 3in 2oz load in a 12 ga. Not bad but a noticed difference. I have several boxes of both woodleigh softs so I wanted to have both hit close to the same POI with Irons and also with the red dot. so I kept the 570's in the middle of the pressure range and the 535 are at the lower end of the pressure range. There is room to get more FPS but why. 2300 with either bullet should provide enough penetration to hit the vitals of any animal currently walking the planet. I am really liking this round.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross