500 Jeffery Club

My back up rifle. Started as a CZ custom shop rifle, but had a Duane Wiebe mag box fitted and AHR put on a newbolt handle and safety and trigger and fitted the fibreglass stock. Eyes getting a bit old so use a Leupold dot sight with triangle ret.
56560E12-77E6-4B04-BAEB-834A239224B5.jpeg
34C70DE1-1696-4A47-87B4-391A5DF30922.jpeg

I have visited your classified ad a few times lately. I appreciate the offer. I’ll have to kick it around for a bit. I’m leaning towards the Jeffery but I’m ultimately undecided on the cartridge at the moment. Plus I really need to get my Capstick back safe and sound (it’s getting freshened up) so I can sell it to add to my budget.
Start small with the dies and brass and work your way up.

I believe one could become easily comfortable shooting the Jeffery accuratly .. I could only imagine it would easily put down any Big Game without injuring it.

Circumstantial of course. But it's an extremely impressive cartridge ..

No matter what caliber, you have to shoot accurate with all rifles because, despite the large diameter and heavy weight of the bullet, the first shot placement remains important.

With a perfect shot placement you certainly have some advantages with the cartridge 500 Jeffery compared to smaller cartridges.

Last edited:
beyond reproach .. it almost seems these exclusive builders are becoming the only option for the .500's ..
Years ago I had a takedown 500j built by Duane Wiebe. That gun and this one are the two highest quality modern builds I have owned.

It was "suggested" AHR is no longer working CZ Upgrades, inflation, lack of demand & CZ discontinuing their 550 doesn't really leave fairly inexpensive options .. I may sadly be mistaken.

There's a member here I look forward to talking 'c as he's a wealth of information on this topic.
However, there's a fairly basic used Smithson (if there is such a thing) for sale @ an overwhelming price. A new CZ 505 for $10K, etc. (I see more Big Bolts "Sale Pending/Sold" certainly more than a few years ago)
If this leaves exclusive builders who build 10 per year, I couldn't imagine the proverbial cost & eta.

Again, I may be mistaken, but @W.J.JEFFERY & CO. (if you can get one) may quite the investment! ;

It was "suggested" AHR is no longer working CZ Upgrades, inflation, lack of demand & CZ discontinuing their 550 doesn't really leave fairly inexpensive options .. I may sadly be mistaken.

There's a member here I look forward to talking 'c as he's a wealth of information on this topic.
However, there's a fairly basic used Smithson (if there is such a thing) for sale @ an overwhelming price. A new CZ 505 for $10K, etc. (I see more Big Bolts "Sale Pending/Sold" certainly more than a few years ago)
If this leaves exclusive builders who build 10 per year, I couldn't imagine the proverbial cost & eta.

Again, I may be mistaken, but @W.J.JEFFERY & CO. (if you can get one) may quite the investment! ;
We have at least two 'smiths I would trust to build a D/G rifle for me (money no object); Rob Blomfield, of S C Gunsmithing, and Anthony George, of N T Gunsmithing. Others are here, but I have no personal experience with them. R ob quoted me a price for a Mauser 98-based 500 Jeff, I believe he may be planning on building his own sometime, when time permits. Anthony does some amazing work with long-established British caliber builds, and wildcats as well.

It's my understanding Wayne at AHR is still building new custom rifles. I may be wrong but he's easy to talk to :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeithustKew

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg