.500 Caliber pistols

Ronnie Pace

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
I have debated for a while the need for a .500 caliber pistol since the .480 Ruger did everything I needed. Well I sold the .480 so a .500 was back in play but was it going to be a JRH or Linebaugh? A David Clements built Ruger Bisley in .500 Linebaugh came up on Gunbroker so I bid on it. While I was waiting for it to end a friend on another forum offered to sell me one of his .500s if I didn’t win the auction. Well before it ended I told him I wanted to buy one of the two he offered since it was a Bisley Vaquero built by Linebaugh. I ended up winning the auction too! I picked up the Clements gun and the Linebaugh will be here next week! I figure I could take one of the .500s and the FA .454 to Africa and have it covered up through the really big stuff

FD3B1437-1B29-46F3-87BC-11168A17D05B.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations on the new additions!

If you are shooting these big boys, you are certainly an experienced handgunner. I would encourage you to consult with your outfitter about using a pistol on an African hunt. Some countries have severe restrictions on the temporary importation of these for hunting, most requiring a scope to be attached. Not to mention the method of hunting that will be required. You deserve the hunt you want, just make sure you have an outfitter that can provide it. Some honest talk should have you sorted out pretty quick.

Very nice revolvers! My son and I loaded some 500Line tonight. Working up a load with a mold I got from Tom at accurate. Mine shoots the Cast Performance 525s very accurately. I met John this summer in Cody and he was pretty imressed with the accuracy I was getting. Hoping to hunt it this fall, but work is shaping up to be pretty busy so we shall see. Let us know how they shoot and when you kill something with them!

way too big for hiking/backpacking and way more power than needed for normal bear defense. The typical bear most of us see are 200-400 lb black bear and a properly loaded 357, 44 or even 10mm is more than adequate, even on the slightly larger inland grizzly. If you're hiking/backpacking in parts of Alaska where 1000-1,200 lb bear roam it makes sense. But a short barreled rifle makes even more sense and would be no more difficult to carry.

If you enjoy handgun hunting it would be an excellent choice for game larger than deer or black bear.

For the most part I don't think they are very practical, but every gun doesn't have to be practical. If you like it, would enjoy shooting it and just want one for your

Contrary to popular belief, just like most firearms, if you use a proper bullet, power, range and speed, these revolvers can safely take anything on earth. Just like solids in African Rifles, these revolvers will over penetrate as well. Well placed shots make all the difference.

I have debated for a while the need for a .500 caliber pistol since the .480 Ruger did everything I needed. Well I sold the .480 so a .500 was back in play but was it going to be a JRH or Linebaugh? A David Clements built Ruger Bisley in .500 Linebaugh came up on Gunbroker so I bid on it. While I was waiting for it to end a friend on another forum offered to sell me one of his .500s if I didn’t win the auction. Well before it ended I told him I wanted to buy one of the two he offered since it was a Bisley Vaquero built by Linebaugh. I ended up winning the auction too! I picked up the Clements gun and the Linebaugh will be here next week! I figure I could take one of the .500s and the FA .454 to Africa and have it covered up through the really big stuff

View attachment 480239
Take it to Africa for what purpose?

My 460gr load at 1200f/s out of the linebaugh. About 3" group at 50yds resting my elbows.

20220918_152429.jpg
20220916_173507.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Take it to Africa for what purpose?
I would use the .454 Casull for plains game and the .500 Linebaugh for Buffalo. Of course the .454 has been used on Buffalo quite effectively also. If I were to hunt Elephant (tuskless probably because it is a heck of a lot cheaper) I would use the .500 for them

way too big for hiking/backpacking and way more power than needed for normal bear defense. The typical bear most of us see are 200-400 lb black bear and a properly loaded 357, 44 or even 10mm is more than adequate, even on the slightly larger inland grizzly. If you're hiking/backpacking in parts of Alaska where 1000-1,200 lb bear roam it makes sense. But a short barreled rifle makes even more sense and would be no more difficult to carry.

If you enjoy handgun hunting it would be an excellent choice for game larger than deer or black bear.

For the most part I don't think they are very practical, but every gun doesn't have to be practical. If you like it, would enjoy shooting it and just want one for your
The Vaquero is surprisingly light (that is a big hole in the barrel) and quite comfortable to carry and would be very comforting in bear country

The Vaquero is surprisingly light (that is a big hole in the barrel) and quite comfortable to carry and would be very comforting in bear country
Exactly what I was thinking. These aren't S&W Xframes. John Linebaugh is building these on Ruger Super Blackhawk Frames. A tremendous amount of firepower in a very portable package. John's stated intent was to make something that would be comfortable to wear on the hip all day long.

Anyone who has practiced with a smaller stature, large caliber revolver, like a 4”-5” SA revolver, can draw and fire very efficiently at close proximity without having to double hand and search for sights. That makes for a very effective defense gun against large critters that want to eat you. Having a firearm handy enough to get into use is better than having a howitzer in the truck.
Also, to me, a scoped revolver in a shoulder rig, or bandolier is much handier than a rifle over my shoulder. Personal preference, for a perfect packing pistol.

I use a S&W 500 8 3/8" with a hard cast gas-checked 440gn hammer. I can ring a 6" plate at 75yds repeatedly.

If I can't bring it with me, or it is too restrictive to, I hope my guide is equipped with one or similar.

That should be your primary hunting weapon.
even better with a scope on it.

That should be your primary hunting weapon.
even better with a scope on it.

I have hunted with it in WI, mostly for hateful dispatch of coyotes. One Black Bear, a little guy, 250lbs.

I am hoping to use it as a backup when I go on a Big game hunt.

the 440gb gas checked hammers are great. I like them better than the 325 factory.

I've been led to believe that a minimum barrel length now applies for importing a hunting handgun into South Afrika; I'll stand corrected on this ...

The 500S&W does best with heavier bullets (400-450) than many lighter factory loads. In a 500 Special ( or 500JRH came first) they really shine with 325-400’s. Barrel length really helps with the heavier bullets. Either in a short barrel belt gun, velocity won’t matter as much at 10 yards, as it does in a long barrel scoped gun at 90 yards. The same load could be 200-300fps difference. I prefer to load for accuracy more than just speed. I want all the help I can get from a controlled environment, as once out in the field, you have much less control.

My 440gr BHN18 gas checked loads mimmick the ballistics of a one ounce 12ga slug in a Rem 870 shotgun. Great groups, at 25, 50, 75 yards....I only use open sights, on this one.

It is v1.0 500 8 3/8's".

Yes, it has doubletapped with factory 325's with 5 in the gun. Not in MY hand ,but with other family members who insisted it would not happen with them. And it did. I never sent it in for the recall, inertia blocking pendulum thingy. I just load one , skip one, load one , skip one load one ...with the last two next to each other but on the end of fire order.

I watched it doubletap with a a family member trying to be "Billy Badass" . Priceless reaction, and an immediate change of attitude from "Billy BA" to "meek and educated".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaydenJaco

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,