500/416 Double Barrel Rifle

Rocco

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
sci, pope&young, boone&crockett
Hi Guys
I was thinking of getting myself a 500/416 double barrel rifle for the big 5.
Question. Which one load only should I use ( the 410 gr or the 450 gr from Norma or other ). I like to get one load and sight it in for the life of the rifle. Also, why was the 500/416 ever invented. What's the advantage of this load compared to the 416 Rigby or the others.

Personally I'd go with a more standard caliber like the 450/400, 450, 470 or 500 Nitro's. They'll do anything you need done.

First and formost, I suggest you would have to shoot the 450 gr. Woodleigh in any double and find out if it will regulate and sight in, in YOUR gun, if so then its a killing sucker.

I love the 450 gr. Woodleighs in my bolt action 416 Rem, it ups the caliber to probably a 458 Lott in killing effect or so it appears to me from the reaction of hits on buffalo???? BTW the 450 gr. Woodleigh PP is heavier constucted than the 450 gr. RN, thus penetrates more, best for dugga boys whereas the RN is best for herd hunting buffalo where you need to limt penetration. BTW I helped Woodleigh design the RN, he then added the PP, and it's a better all around choice, but doesn't have the nostalgia as those big RN bullets have..Either is a killer for sure and I have shot a substantial number of buffalo with both.

As to the caliber, it should be great caliber and I really like 40 caliber big bores. Some have told me that its recoil is the same as a .470? if that is so and it should not be, then I would opt for the wonderful 450-3.25, my all time favorite double rifle caliber if elephant are on the agenda, otherwise I would opt for a 450-400-3"...All opinnion however and such choices are an individual thing.

I have a 500-416,killed one buff,dropped it on the spot,was using handloaded ammo,400 gr NF'S,I would feel very comfortable with the 410 gr ammo,never heard of any factory ammo in 450 gr,but if you re-load? it's a possibility?
Why this caliber ever conceived? it's because it give's you 416 Rigby performance in a double rifle,it's a rimmed cartridge with acceptable pressures suitable for a DR,I also load mine with 300 gr TSX's for plainsgame,it's a heck of a cartridge,the 450 -400 etc is a wuss in comparison :),but I do have one as well,saving it for my golden years ha ha when recoil is a problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ekaterina Lobach North Fork Bullets

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!