.50-90 Sharps for Africa

Ronnie Pace

AH member
Reaction score
Media
I would love to take my .50-90 Sharps to Africa. What are the opinions on using it on a tuskless hunt? I can load a 700 gr hardcast lead bullet at 1300 FPS or could go with a 600 gr at 1400 FPS. Would this be too light?

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
Review minimum energy requirements fir the various countries. They are posted here on AH

bruce moulds

AH legend
Reaction score
depends what you want to use it on.
the ballistics you quote are basically black powder ballistics.
so what would the 50x31/4" black powder express (similar to your 50/90 or better) be suited to.
larger plains game at best.
lions etc.
use it for that and be happy.
it was designed for bison extermination.
bruce.

Professor Mawla

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
I would love to take my .50-90 Sharps to Africa. What are the opinions on using it on a tuskless hunt? I can load a 700 gr hardcast lead bullet at 1300 FPS or could go with a 600 gr at 1400 FPS. Would this be too light?
@Ronnie Pace
This is an extremely poor choice for hunting anything more dangerous than a wild boar , let alone an elephant . The reasons for my assessment , are as follows :
1 ) Velocity is far below the acceptable minimum for safe penetration on elephants . Velocity should be at least 2040 feet per second , for a cow elephant .
2 ) Unjacketed lead bullets are extremely unsuited for penetration on elephants ( except perhaps double lung shots ) . What you need , is either a steel jacketed flat nosed bullet or one of the modern monolithic brass or naval bronze flat nosed bullets .

Your weapon would make for an exceptional warthog rifle , though .

Last edited:

AZDAVE

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa, Alaska,lower 48
On my first trip my buddy took his 45/110 and harvested Kudu, impala, and warthog with it. I have a 50/90 and wouldn't consider it a DG round. You will be fine on PG but you will also have to shot within the capabilities of the rifle and shooter. make sure you talk to your PH so he knows the range limitations for ethical shots. You will also have to have the discipline to pass on animals you just can't get close enough to.

IvW

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASA, CHASA
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Namibia,Zambia
Tusk less will 99% of the time mean Zim. It would not be legal and it would also not be a very good idea. Hunting tusk less is much more dangerous(and exiting) than hunting bulls, you need to get right in among the herd, find and select a tusk less, ensure she is not pregnant or have dependent calf...etc. The chances of getting charge during the hunt and after taking the first shot is way more real in fact I would go so far as to say that if you do not experience a few mock charges at the least you would be very lucky...

Use a rifle cartridge combination that is up to the task and by all means take and use your 50-90 on the safari but not on elephant.....good luck.

crs

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Website
sheltontechnologies.com
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
CRS, NRA Patron Member, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Hunted
RSA
Ronnie,
Since my Winchester 1886 45-90 did so well in Africa, your 50-90 should also!
52608_600x400.jpg

Just ignore the Nay Sayers that have no experience with these rifles and cartridges and forge ahead.
Modern bullets and powders provide ballistics that are more than adequate for any game in Africa or anywhere else. For instance, my ele loads of 450 grain North Fork and Punch bullets at 2000 fps + shot through ele heads and into the body - DRT. For Cape Buffalo, our 450 grain Kodiak FMJ at 2150 fps shot through most and killed all. Kodiak also VERY effective on American Bison.

Good hunting.

PS There are hunters on this forum that hunt Africa with hand guns and others that use big bore heavy solid bullets that shoot through one or two buff at a time. Some of them may chime in later.

Last edited by a moderator:

IvW

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASA, CHASA
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Namibia,Zambia
Keep it legal, if it makes the legal requirement for the intended animal in the intended country, by all means if not do not use it, many here hunt DG for a living......

Forrest Halley

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Well I'd listen to @crs on this one. There are a lot of folks here who are heavily invested in pet calibers. I believe that he is a creative sort that is able to optimize things that others cannot see through their allegiance to their pets. I'd listen if he said no to a particular cartridge because he's given it thought both inside and outside of the box. He has also shot game with lever action rifles in classic calibers so he's not guessing about the terminal performance.

I'm sure that CEB has or can figure out a bullet for the .50-90 that will take on anything Africa has to offer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitchel76S

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Pondoro wrote on Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS's profile.
Hello...could you please pm me regarding what species available on this fly-camp offer....can cape buffalo be taken for instance..? Trophy prices..?
matt vejar wrote on kevin masters's profile.
Kevin,
Played rookie league for the Yankees in Paintsville after winning the College World Series at Fullerton State, in1979. All I could think about was the movie “Deliverance”- lived up in a hollow with some other players. Refused to go on a moonshine run because it was a dry county-no way. Met some of the nicest people on the planet there! Van Lear the home of Loretta Lynn was highlight of summer LOL.
Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.