AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
RSA (Limpopo), USA , CAN
Came across this video from Leverguns50. I enjoy his videos as I am a lever gun fan. Incredible to see these new rifles loaded to these levels...especially with 8 rounds in the tube, ha! I know there is a member here @fsrmg1 that had one of these 1886 rifles made in 50-110, hows the shooting been?

does it have the twist to handle bullets of sectional density the same as a 480 gn 458 bullet?
bruce.
I believe when people have these conversions done, they install and chamber a new barrel so the twist can be what you need it to be for the weights you plan on shooting. As long as you choose the appropriate twist, you should be good to go.

Ses,
The crescent butt plate on my 1886 45-90 (.458 2.4 ) allows the rifle to just rotate up and come back down with most recoil energy converted to rotating the rifle upward rather than pushing on me. Even with my 2150 fps 450 grain DG loads, there is no bruising or ouchie (if the lower tip of the butt plate is tucked into the arm pit).

Bruce,
The twist of the Miroku/Winchester 1886 .45-90 rifle is the same as for .45-70 rifles. Mine shoots everything from 300 grain to 450 grain bullets accurately. For anything but large DG, commercial .45-70 ammo is good. The Nosler 300 grain PP is VERY effective on thin skinned game, even leopards.

PS Our 450 grain NF and Punch bullet loads at about 2000 fps also shot through steel plate. It was from 50 yards at a 5/8 inch steel plate suspended by chains. The punch bullet made a clean - daylight hole !
Naturally, a frontal brain shot from either shot through ele heads and into the body- DRT!

If you plan to take a 45-70 0r 90 to Africa, remember it is the bullet that kills, not the type rifle.

Last edited:
Came across this video from Leverguns50. I enjoy his videos as I am a lever gun fan. Incredible to see these new rifles loaded to these levels...especially with 8 rounds in the tube, ha! I know there is a member here @fsrmg1 that had one of these 1886 rifles made in 50-110, hows the shooting been?

@TTundra
Boy go and split some fire wood will you.
Yes mamma I'll just grab pappys 50-110. That ways y'all will give your fire wood and I'll have a heap of fun.
Just call the chiropractor fer me If'n y'all want a lot of wood split.
Man that is one mean mother of a rifle and cartridge.
Bob

@TTundra
Boy go and split some fire wood will you.
Yes mamma I'll just grab pappys 50-110. That ways y'all will give your fire wood and I'll have a heap of fun.
Just call the chiropractor fer me If'n y'all want a lot of wood split.
Man that is one mean mother of a rifle and cartridge.
Bob
I may or may not have one being built. No particular reason other than I love levers and wanted a 71 in both 348 and now 50-110. No ideas of grandeur with those velocities, but will make a fun pig gun

I may or may not have one being built. No particular reason other than I love levers and wanted a 71 in both 348 and now 50-110. No ideas of grandeur with those velocities, but will make a fun pig gun
@TTundra
Next one will be a 45-120 for you for even more fun

I hate to criticize someone for doing what I am to lazy to do myself. But that guy needs a friend to hold the camera for him.

9rds is impressive. I love the 1886. Nobody was better than John Browning. With some practice, you'll be reloaded before you are back on target.

My father just had a Japanese made 1886 45-70 re-bored to 50-110. I got to fire a few rounds from it on the weekend, and it was surprising mild, albeit they weren’t hot loads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ekaterina Lobach North Fork Bullets

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!