470 nitro express powders/known krieghoff loads

Backyardsniper

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
If reloading for a 470 N.E. which of the following powders would be a good place to start. These are the powders I have available, I know RL 15 and IMR 4831 are favorites but I do not have access to those at the moment. What I do have is a little H4831sc, a lot of the following H1000, H4350, Varget, CFE223, RL 16, RL 22, Retumbo, and the LGS has a pretty good supply of IMR 3031. The gun in am working with is regulated with Hornady DGS.
For projectiles I have Barnes banded and CEB solids. I have Swift A Frame and CEB Raptors and a bunch of Barnes TSX. I have a bag of 1/2 foam backer rod in the purple bag from Lowe's as well.
I was just curious if anyone had a recommendations for loads that might duplicate the DGS or a known load that has worked with the CEB which is the solid I hope.to regulate it with. I do have a Labradar and I can literally step right out of the garage and blast away from a standing rest off a sand bag on my retaining wall. I have a full 75yd to work with here so that should be sufficient.
Any info would be appreciated.

The IMR3031 will give you the lightest recoil. It is what Ken Owen uses when he re-regulates big bore rifles

3031 is very close match for or cordite from what i have read.
Krish

The IMR3031 will give you the lightest recoil. It is what Ken Owen uses when he re-regulates big bore rifles
I may need to scoop up a couple pounds of it. I have the foam backer rod, was kind of hoping to avoid using that, but it is the most "traditional load" I guess and if Ken Owen uses it then it must be the way to go. I will get a couple pounds from the LGS

1659758732581.png

You probably already know this, RL-15, cfe223 and Varget are all super close in burn rate. I’ve had the best luck with Varget out of that group. Super temp stable and lowest ES out of those.

I have a bunch of varget, and about 32lb of.CFE. if I could make the CFE223 work I would really be in business

My favorite is Vithavuori N150, 90 grains of it...good precision and moderate recoil.. N160 produce A LOT more recoil...tried 105 grains and 500 grain DGS...kicks the crap out of me..

PM sent

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoelKalman

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg