470 nitro express powders/known krieghoff loads

Backyardsniper

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
If reloading for a 470 N.E. which of the following powders would be a good place to start. These are the powders I have available, I know RL 15 and IMR 4831 are favorites but I do not have access to those at the moment. What I do have is a little H4831sc, a lot of the following H1000, H4350, Varget, CFE223, RL 16, RL 22, Retumbo, and the LGS has a pretty good supply of IMR 3031. The gun in am working with is regulated with Hornady DGS.
For projectiles I have Barnes banded and CEB solids. I have Swift A Frame and CEB Raptors and a bunch of Barnes TSX. I have a bag of 1/2 foam backer rod in the purple bag from Lowe's as well.
I was just curious if anyone had a recommendations for loads that might duplicate the DGS or a known load that has worked with the CEB which is the solid I hope.to regulate it with. I do have a Labradar and I can literally step right out of the garage and blast away from a standing rest off a sand bag on my retaining wall. I have a full 75yd to work with here so that should be sufficient.
Any info would be appreciated.

Rare Breed

Gold supporter
Silver supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
The IMR3031 will give you the lightest recoil. It is what Ken Owen uses when he re-regulates big bore rifles

krish

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
3031 is very close match for or cordite from what i have read.
Krish

Backyardsniper

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
The IMR3031 will give you the lightest recoil. It is what Ken Owen uses when he re-regulates big bore rifles
I may need to scoop up a couple pounds of it. I have the foam backer rod, was kind of hoping to avoid using that, but it is the most "traditional load" I guess and if Ken Owen uses it then it must be the way to go. I will get a couple pounds from the LGS

TwoTracks

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life Member, DSC
Hunted
USA
1659758732581.png

You probably already know this, RL-15, cfe223 and Varget are all super close in burn rate. I’ve had the best luck with Varget out of that group. Super temp stable and lowest ES out of those.

Backyardsniper

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I have a bunch of varget, and about 32lb of.CFE. if I could make the CFE223 work I would really be in business

Pondoro

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
Norway, Sweden, Namibia and Botswana
My favorite is Vithavuori N150, 90 grains of it...good precision and moderate recoil.. N160 produce A LOT more recoil...tried 105 grains and 500 grain DGS...kicks the crap out of me..

Opposite Pole

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SSAA; PZŁ, KŁ Sęp
Hunted
Australia, Poland
PM sent

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
500 Nitro Express

Latest profile posts

We will be at the Dallas show and the SCI show in 2023. Booth # to be updated soon.
geoff rath wrote on Von Gruff's profile.
G'day, Von Gruff; Could you give me an idea on your Bearded Chef Knife, as per your posted photos, delivered to Australia? I'd like to reward a good mate (excellent amateur chef) who has done me big favours in the past. Cheers, Geoff Rath
Tokoloshe Safaris wrote on TERMINATOR's profile.
I just received a forwarded e-mail from you, concerning our Web Site. We just finished a leopard hunt yesterday. While on the hunt my wife mentioned to me that she had finally had it with the person that was maintaining the site and that she was going to get someone else to maintain the site.

If the site is not active you can contact me thru the AH forum.

Cheers, Lon Denney
Tokoloshe Safaris,
Zimbabwe
Bwana Man wrote on Jager Waffen74's profile.
Interested in the
  • JP Sauer 90 Luxus .375 H&H West German with EAW swing mounts and Varix III 2.5-8x40 scope (Euro Model hand rubbed oil, express sights) 99.9%
yamoon wrote on C.W. Richter's profile.
Hello
The book is still available, I will consider it sold. Personal check is fine. Send me your address.
Thanks
Michael
[redacted]