.470 Nitro Express - Cleaning regimen?

deewayne2003

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Just got my first .470 N.E. and was wondering how often you guys clean your bores?

I'm noticing some copper build up on the rifling and I have no idea when this gun was last cleaned; so I'm cleaning the bores tonight and looking to start a set cleaning interval from here on.

I am a contrarian. I do not worry about copper. At all. I probably currently own four dozen rifles or so, shoot them all - some a great deal (to include a .470) and they get a couple of patches of Ballistol once every few months depending upon use. The copper tends to fill out imperfections in the barrel (generally, more imperfections the cheaper the barrel), and I rarely (frankly never) notice any effect on accuracy due to copper. Others - they will be along shortly - obsess over it. I frankly think you are more likely to do lasting damage to a barrel with brushes, rods, solvents and elbow grease than any amount of copper residue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marinayzi

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you