.460 Weatherby whats your opinion

The 460 I have shot where all standard factory jobs....
After your practical field experience you may change your point of view.....
Too many peoole base there opinions on paper balistics and not on field experience....
I wish you the best of luck...

The 460 I have shot where all standard factory jobs....
After your practical field experience you may change your point of view.....
Too many peoe base there opionions on paper balistics and not on field experience....
I wish you the best of luck...
Thanks. Report forthcoming next spring. Hogs being bloodied this fall.

One of the PH I hunted with in Cameroon had a Weatherby M5 DG in 460W as his stopping rifle. He used that and a 9.3x62 for everything.

My ammo didn’t arrive for a few days for my 9.3 so he loaned me his remaining inventory of 8 rounds to start my hunt.

We talked a lot about rifles and calibers and he said the 460W might be more then needed for Savanna Buffalo in the north.

He said there was no rifle too big for forest elephant and dwarf forest buff in the south. Visibility measured in the rain forest in feet. Bad angels and imperfect bullet placement where mitigated with the 460W. Even with bongo at 7 feet he was appreciative of the 460W.

He loaded 550gr mono solids as hot as he could and said they where more effective on game then the 505 Gibs he had previously.

One guys experience recounted second hand but he’s been hunting every season in Cameroon for a couple of decades. I took it to heart.

I would take on Cameroon buffalo with a 375 H&H as a backup rifle no problem..
As for the rest of Africa on ele and buff nothing at the moment will replace my 500 Jeff with 570gr bullets....devastatingly effective....in a backup role and not necesarily as a client cartridge...

I would take on Cameroon buffalo with a 375 H&H as a backup rifle no problem..
As for the rest of Africa on ele and buff nothing at the moment will replace my 500 Jeff with 570gr bullets....devastatingly effective....in a backup role and not necesarily as a client cartridge...
Ford vs Chev
Apple vs Android
Double vs Bolt
RSA vs Zim
Blondes vs Brunettes

We all have our biases based on what we like and what works for us. Our own biases do not automatically make others wrong, and there’s no sense beating horses to death about what one likes and dislikes.

Let’s channel some of this energy wasted complaining about cartridges others enjoy, and take us back to your thread about your early hunting days! There’s not a members here that would love to read more about it!

Ford vs Chev
Apple vs Android
Double vs Bolt
RSA vs Zim
Blondes vs Brunettes

We all have our biases based on what we like and what works for us. Our own biases do not automatically make others wrong, and there’s no sense beating horses to death about what one likes and dislikes.

Let’s channel some of this energy wasted complaining about cartridges others enjoy, and take us back to your thread about your early hunting days! There’s not a members here that would love to read more about it!
The point I was trying to make, is there is plenty of scientific data to show, after 2600, penetration can actually be less than the same bullet at 2400. So trying to shoot something with the largest cannon you can temporarily shoulder before it weighs you to the ground, isn't always the best course of action. I know a guy building .600 bore rifles, shooting 900 grain bullets to 2800. But they aren't killing any more dead than a .416 Rigby. Dead is dead.

I’ve used the 460 w a max load behind a 500 grain bullet. Adequate for everything hardly describes it.
Had a very bad and instant headache when the rubber ringed kahles whacked me.
Recoil is something to handle so I suggest maybe you try before you buy

The point I was trying to make, is there is plenty of scientific data to show, after 2600, penetration can actually be less than the same bullet at 2400. So trying to shoot something with the largest cannon you can temporarily shoulder before it weighs you to the ground, isn't always the best course of action. I know a guy building .600 bore rifles, shooting 900 grain bullets to 2800. But they aren't killing any more dead than a .416 Rigby. Dead is dead.
You’re right, dead is dead, but if someone wants a rifle, and can shoot it well, who are we to slam them for it.

My experience with the 460Wby is very, very limited so my opinion probably has no value. Nevertheless, when I was a much younger man, I had the opportunity to shoot one once at a shooting expo. Mostly curiosity drove the desire to shoot it. In a word, awesome. They even let me keep the spent brass as a souvenir as proof that I actually shot it! Not my cup of tea and I’m not afraid to admit that it is more rifle than I can handle or will ever need but I don’t begrudge anyone who wants one.

And what is my velocity at 200 or 250+ yards if the kudu of my dreams walks out? My 460 wby is moa at 100 yards and can hold about moa at 200 yards. I'll be walking it out to 300 yards in a few weeks just to know it's, and my, limitations. Quality solids tend to work well on smaller PG for the pop up shot.

Just because a 500 grain can be thrown 2600 at the muzzle doesn't mean that's the impact velocity. Moreover, as stated multiple times, the 460 wby as a cartridge is not only a product from weatherby. There are a plethora or loads at varying weights and velocities, which enable it to do what it does, and it does well, when practiced and proficient.

You’re right, dead is dead, but if someone wants a rifle, and can shoot it well, who are we to slam them for it.
Not me! I caught hell for hunting whitetail with a .338 Win Mag, buts its what I enjoyed. I now use my .375 in that role. If you took my post as bashing, you're wrong.

And what is my velocity at 200 or 250+ yards if the kudu of my dreams walks out? My 460 wby is moa at 100 yards and can hold about moa at 200 yards. I'll be walking it out to 300 yards in a few weeks just to know it's, and my, limitations. Quality solids tend to work well on smaller PG for the pop up shot.

Just because a 500 grain can be thrown 2600 at the muzzle doesn't mean that's the impact velocity. Moreover, as stated multiple times, the 460 wby as a cartridge is not only a product from weatherby. There are a plethora or loads at varying weights and velocities, which enable it to do what it does, and it does well, when practiced and proficient.

100- 2299 0.00"
150- 2157 -1.61"
200- 2020 -5.10"
250- 1888 -10.72"
300- 1762 -18.77"
350- 1643 -29.62"
400- 1530 -43.69"

If that's what you like, go for it.

100- 2299 0.00"
150- 2157 -1.61"
200- 2020 -5.10"
250- 1888 -10.72"
300- 1762 -18.77"
350- 1643 -29.62"
400- 1530 -43.69"

If that's what you like, go for it.
Close, but with my loads thats a little light. closer to 2000fps at 250 yards still with about 9.5" drop. Not too shabby for a big bore. Of course, thats a 500 gr. Now, work up those numbers shooting a 450, 350, 300, etc. You can have loads perfect for DG and PG, at recoil levels below that of a 416 Rem or Rigby (300 gr, 2700 fps, depending on rifle weight). Need to work them up and see how they do in my rifle, as we all know some just don't make the cut.

i was wondering what people think of the cartridge also recommendations on rifles to purchase in the caliber .460 Weatherby
thanks
shot my first buff with one 30 yards 500 gr soft lunged him he ran 150 yards walked up again drilled with a solid in the chest DEAD, shot my fist bull with one 20 yards lung right behind shoulder the hip shot dropped him walked up and side braind him to finish off bullet went cleat through 500 gr solids, also shot a buff in the Zambezi at 235 yards we needed lion bate and tracked them on foot for 20 miles with Len Taylor with a 378 weatherby 285 gr Barnes X 2 shots at 235 yards he went 50 yards DOA,,,, 416 weatherby is Probably the best choice of all and if you bring 3 or 4 Sordin electric muffs for the Gang these calibers kick some SERIOUS FKN ASS

Explain something to me please. Reloaders bitch about not enough velocity in a 30/06, a 300 Win. Mag., etc. If it were true that higher velocity was worse, why wouldn't every one be hunting with lower velocity cartridges?

Dangerous game cartridges should have lower velocities? Really? The bullets won't penetrate at higher velocities? Are you serious?

There are a variety of bullets that will hold together at 460 Weatherby velocities just as well as similar bullets do in cartridges with higher velocities. It must come as a surprise to you that a bullet that holds together at a high velocity will penetrate further than it will at a lower velocity.

Rather than make pretty funny assertions about the dangers of high velocities, call it for what it is; ya'll don't like the recoil.

By the way, mine will put Hornady FMJs right through 3/8" steel plate; I think it would probably penetrate a dangerous game animal just fine.
Boddington the who wrote the book African rifles says that it's widely maligned in Africa by phh's the bullets do not give straight line penetration that said there is a professional Hunter said it was the deadliest cartridge he has seen on Buffalo Craig said he doesn't doubt that a bit the times he'd use it it was devastating just saw a video buffalo hunting the 416 Remington the Buffalo would invariably run even with multiple hits but with the 460 they either went down or couldn't hardly get away that 460 pummeled them when a buffalo was hit with a 460 he knows it the guy shooting the custom 460 which was built to light looked like he got hit by George Foreman every time he shot his hat blew off the scope cracked him in the forehead I know he went back to Camp with a concussion I liken it to the 500 Jeffrey or the 577 nitro. Trackers say boom flop buffalo dead with 577. They like that.

Explain something to me please. Reloaders bitch about not enough velocity in a 30/06, a 300 Win. Mag., etc. If it were true that higher velocity was worse, why wouldn't every one be hunting with lower velocity cartridges?

Dangerous game cartridges should have lower velocities? Really? The bullets won't penetrate at higher velocities? Are you serious?

There are a variety of bullets that will hold together at 460 Weatherby velocities just as well as similar bullets do in cartridges with higher velocities. It must come as a surprise to you that a bullet that holds together at a high velocity will penetrate further than it will at a lower velocity.

Rather than make pretty funny assertions about the dangers of high velocities, call it for what it is; ya'll don't like the recoil.

By the way, mine will put Hornady FMJs right through 3/8" steel plate; I think it would probably penetrate a dangerous game animal just fine.
one of the main reasons i hate the 460 wby is that people pretty much have to put muzzle breaks on them to make them shootable. i would rather have my foot run over by a truck then spend 10 minutes next to a person shooting a 460 with a muzzle break.

im still pushing for my local range to disallow muzzle breaks or at least make a special section that they have to shoot in. few things ruin a shooting trip faster then some jerk sitting next to you with a muzzle break on his rifle!

-matt
You're absolutely right. I wear plugs and muffs and I have still lost hearing due to the dam muzzle brakes. Should be not allowed at the rifle range. The kids like them on assault rifles because they look and sound cool.

As a working rifle, a .460 has so many drawbacks that it's a hard sell to most everyone who does the sums.

When you carry your rifle from morning to night in the bush, and need to be split-second fast and accurate with it, there are a few points to consider.

It's heavy. It's long. It's ear-damaging loud, for yourself and for others. It has low mag capacity. Rounds are expensive. Rounds are difficult to find. It will give you a concussion if you're not careful. Most can't shoot it enough to be proficient with it (recoil, $$$).

On the plus side, at 150-200 yards it still has the same velocity as a Lott or good ol' .458 WM at the muzzle.

Now, as far as I'm concerned, anything that needs shooting with a .458 bullet, doesn't need shooting from 200 yards. Git closer...

I'll pass.

Consider that the majority of DG cartridges are running from 2100-2450fps. That's been taking game up to elephant for over a hundred years. And that fellow was right, excess velocity WILL limit penetration. Why do some complain not enough velocity? The buying public got a bad case of magnumitis years ago. They figure if a bullet isn't doing warp 7 it should bounce off of the animal. If you're wanting a .460 go for it. Some like fords, some like chevys.

There are pros and cons to the 460 Weatherby. I like the 458 Lott for my .45 caliber rifle round and is what I picked. Not based on field experience but based off of basic info from my research. As for the 460 I had Wayne with AHR build me a CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in 460 Weatherby off a 416 rigby action. (I ended up selling it new and unfired kept the Lott he did for me) This is one of the negatives of a 460 the factory ammo choices are very limited as are the factory rifles chambered in it (only weatherby as far as I know). Even for custom builds the extra large magnum actions needed to house it in are limited. Everything about this makes it more costly to buy a rifle so chambered and limits your options. Compared to other .45 options it's oversized case also means less round capacity usually only 2 or 3 in the actions that will hold it(my cz 550 held 3 in the 460 vs 5 in the Lott). It's very hard on bullets be careful with bullet selection as some are not designed for the potential impact velocities that may be encountered when firing from this cartridge causing bullet failures. Significant recoil! This affects more than mere comfort. It can cause slower follow up shots vs a milder recoiling round and to at least partially offset that you will need to set a rifle up noticeably heavier to help with control and follow up shots. This can affect the rifles handling and balance as well as make it more tiring to carry all day. Or the need for a muzzle brake which IMO is not a good option for a hunting rifle. Factory ammo options are very limited and expensive and hard to find. This tends to make a 460 owner either handload or purchase semi custom ammunition. A Lott or win mag will give you more options for ammo and be much easier to find.

Good things about a 460. The case can be loaded to mild pressures with non compressed loads (kind of along the lines a 416 rigby case was designed to reach desired performance at mild pressures) while outperforming the max loads in the other .45 cases and shooting flatter. With the right bullets it should have larger wounding/killing potential. I would be willing to wager a 500 grain A Frame at around 2400 would perform wonderfully and cause more damage than the same bullet from a full house load in a win mag at 2050-2100 and it will certainly shoot flatter. I don't have the ability to reach the 2400 fps from my Lott with the load data I have seen. And for whatever reason it seems around 2400fps is a great velocity for dg performance and might have been a reason that the old 416 rigby was loaded to precisely that velocity and later both the 416 remington and 416 ruger were also loaded to that velocity. Also the monometal tsx type bullets eat up case capacity and 500 grain tsx is no issue for the weatherby case to launch at these speeds

Barnes has a 500 gr TSX load at 2391 fps (24” bbl) and 98% capacity. Likely what I would go with if I had one and the rifle liked it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg