460 Weatherby to 458 Lott

Dean2

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to take an existing 460, set back the barrel and rechamber it to 458 Lott. I know the Rim Daimeter of the 460 is .579 and the Lott is only .532. so how hard is it to make the Weatherby bolt to work with the Lott cartridges. Any feed from the mag, extraction, ejection issues to consider? Thanks for the help.

i imagine it would be fairly difficult! the two cartridges share no dimensions other then bullet diameter.

it would be significantly cheaper to simply buy a 458 lott.

-matt

Reactions: WAB
You can take the barrel off, set it back in the closet, and install a .458 Lott barrel. The dimensions are not similar. I'd imagine the bolt face would cause issues with reliable extraction left as is.
What's the reason for getting out of the Weatherby power level? If you're already set up with brass and components why would you want to worry about another caliber?

The 450 Rigby might be possible , case dimensions are closer , not sure how much it would have to be set back or where to get it done here. A new barrel to the Lott may be your best bet.

I am in Canada so you are right, unless this completely stupid Order In Council is amended are better yet repealed, the 460 exceeds the 10,000 Joule limit. I can sell the gun into the States, I actually have it listed in the classifieds on here but being Left Handed the market may be a little limited. So it is sell or find a way to lower the power level below 10,000 Joules (7,500 Ft/lbs).

I did a little more research and the large difference in rim diameter would be the biggest problem, .579 vs .532 on the Lott. Fixing the bolt face would require an insert and I am not sure I want a dangerous game gun built that way. Since the barrel has express sights it would also be tricky to get it timed just right.

Easiest option is to rebarrel it to 378 Weatherby, have the barrel high gloss blued and the sights, and muzzle brake re-installed at a cost of abut $1,500. The other option I am researching is to set back the barrel and rechamber to the 460 A Square Short, which is a shortened version of the 460 Bee case with a 500 grain bullet doing about 2400 FPS.

The 450 Rigby idea has merit as well. Machinist is right, the Rim, case dimensions are a lot closer to the Bee than the Lott is.

Any other ideas are more than welcome.

Last edited:
The Rigby seems like a great cartridge! I see you are in Edmonton as well. The 450 Rigby falls under the joule limit imposed by our idiotic government . By them trying to ban the 50 BMG they have really imposed some ridiculous restrictions on sporting cartridges.

If your rifle feeds the big Weatherby well it should work great with the Rigby. I am not sure how much extra work would be required for the feeding and the bolt to downsize into the Lott cartridge.

An easier conversion is to a 495 ASquare. You'd have a unique rifle in a really nice cartridge, that will not exceed the Joule limit. Unfortunately the 500 A2 does exceed the limite and for either one you will need to be a handloader.

no shit ? what a bunch a retards in charge SORRY Fellas - thats completely absurd-pathetic morons
Don't be sorry, we think they are a pathetic bunch of morons too, and it goes WAY past just the latest crap with gun laws. This is the most openly corrupt, anti individual rights, government in the history of Canada. It is so bad that there is a very strong Separation movement in Western Canada building up. It is starting to have over 30% support and I never though I would ever see something like that in the West.

As to the gun question, since I reload there really are no limitations on what Cartridge I can pick so the 460 A Square and the 378 Bee seem to be the two leading candidates if the gun doesn't sell into the States.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JudeWjg34

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross