.460 Weatherby barrel length

Buster95

AH member
Reaction score
A Weatherby MKV with a 24" barrel (26" but with a 2" brake) is long enough for the big 460?

I think we'd need the full load recipe to calculate burn rate and find out if the length would neuter the load or if the powder is all burned.

I'd imagine 24" is long enough but the above info would confirm with accuracy.

The barrel is 24", the last two inch of the barrel is muzzle brake which doesn't have rifling, so with muzzle brake included the barrel would measure 26", the velocity loss with a factory-ported (integral, not threaded brake) barrel is the same as with threaded brake?

The factory barrel is 26", I believe, plus the brake (I once had a 460 Weatherby and this is what I seem to recall).

It would make a good stopping rifle-cut the barrel to 22 inches and load 600 grain bullets

Or even a custom 700 grain bullet. Velocity down sectional density up. It would shoot clear through an elephant lengthwise. A guy with African experience claimed that 600 and 700 grain bullets would put the 458 Magnums in a new dimension.

It would be interesting to see what kind of velocity a 20" barrel 460 could get, if it still hung out in that 2300 area with a 500, 2200 with a 550.

Wouldn't understand going heavier in .458, the 500 is already toting a .341 sectional density, which is elephant level, the 550 has a .375 sectional density, which is about tops as any production bullet/load for any Africa caliber.

The 500 Nitros/Jeff runs a 570 that's .313
505 Gibbs with a 600gr is about .336
410gr 416 is about .338
470NE with a 500gr at .318
577 NE with the 750 is .313

It seems the .458 line is already running very high sectional density, even with the normal 500s

A Weatherby MKV with a 24" barrel (26" but with a 2" brake) is long enough for the big 460?
Yes, I believe so.
The barrel is 24", the last two inch of the barrel is muzzle brake which doesn't have rifling, so with muzzle brake included the barrel would measure 26", the velocity loss with a factory-ported (integral, not threaded brake) barrel is the same as with threaded brake?
For velocity purposes your idea is correct. The only difference between the integral brake and the screw on is that it does change the barrel length as defined by law if it's integral although it gives you no ballistic benefit.
Or even a custom 700 grain bullet. Velocity down sectional density up. It would shoot clear through an elephant lengthwise. A guy with African experience claimed that 600 and 700 grain bullets would put the 458 Magnums in a new dimension.
A whole new dimension of recoil and stock destruction. Please cite your source on this. If the cartridge you are attempting to load these heavy for caliber cannot take the increased pressure and the loaded velocity has to drop too much, you're not gaining anything and you've now got a boat anchor with a rainbow trajectory. Makes you wonder why the bigger companies aren't loading them. Makes me wonder why the boutique companies aren't loading them.

Cut the barrel to 23.5" and be done with the brake altogether. Then there will be no question as to the barrel length. Members of your hunting party will thank you.

It would make a good stopping rifle-cut the barrel to 22 inches and load 600 grain bullets
You should just buy a 458 Lott if you're gonna go to 22" unless you want to burn the poor animal to death with the flame coming out of your barrel.

The normal barrel length for the caliber is 26", with or without muzzle brake on the classic rifles from Weatherby, I don't know.

I own a older rifle caliber 460 Weatherby Magnum built with a Brevex Magnum system that has a barrel of 26" length but no muzzle brake. The weapon are therefore relatively long and not always easy to handle. As I get older, I have problems with the longer and heavier rifle for getting it quickly to the shoulder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunnyOkn64

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois