Velocity (ft/s)2,683
Pressure 36,100 CUP
Maximum Load Grains 76.0
Velocity (ft/s) 2,952
Pressure 50,600 CUP

Look like an excellent PG load.

Could someone please confirm?

Thanks

The numbers look reasonable at first glance. The only way to know if it's an excellent load for your rifle is to give it a go in your rifle.

Sadly I don't own one yet ..... but the load does look good on paper. Thanks for the replie.

Thought I'd pop up a trajectory chart for this load for you. Zero is 100 yards

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Outstanding Jim Bob! Thank you.

Can a 458 wim mag successfully be used for PG ? Yes I think it can.
This is what peaked my interest in this load.

Well the Barnes is pretty tough but the sectional density is lowsy and I have zero idea how it'd react to hitting larger plains game at those kinds of velocities.

Barnes don't list data for it in a 458 win mag but do in high pressure 45-70. One powder gets it to 2800 fps so pretty close to win mag.

Personally I'd use the 300gr TSX for plains game and sacrifice a little velocity. Hodgdon reckons 2700-2800 fps with the 300gr.

And the trajectory chart for the 300gr@2700 looks like this. It's flatter than the 250gr as it has a much better BC (.136 vs .234). That's with the flat base 300gr aswell. The tipped boat tail would be even better but elicits would be slightly less as it would occupy more of the case

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
The 458 is a great load. I have a 458 Lott that has the bark of a cannon!

Well the Barnes is pretty tough but the sectional density is lowsy and I have zero idea how it'd react to hitting larger plains game at those kinds of velocities.

Barnes don't list data for it in a 458 win mag but do in high pressure 45-70. One powder gets it to 2800 fps so pretty close to win mag.

Personally I'd use the 300gr TSX for plains game and sacrifice a little velocity. Hodgdon reckons 2700-2800 fps with the 300gr.

And the trajectory chart for the 300gr@2700 looks like this. It's flatter than the 250gr as it has a much better BC (.136 vs .234). That's with the flat base 300gr aswell. The tipped boat tail would be even better but elicits would be slightly less as it would occupy more of the case

Excellent!

Yes I agree..... 300 at 2700 sounds very good.

You could say the 458 win is the 30-06 of the big bores .... in that it has huge diversity in reloading and casting your own bullets.
The 458 win seems also to be the most common big bore, which for me is advantageous.

The .458's are massively versatile simply due to the the vast bullet range available.
The 458 win mag is the most popular of the big bores (after 45-70 but that isn't really dangerous game material) so plenty of rifles out there chambered in it. 458 Lott is just as versatile but even more powerful.

If I was in the market for a 458 bolt gun it'd be the Lott. You can load it down to win mag energy (or even less) if you prefer or step it up to 500gr@2300.

The 458 lott is a wonderful cartridge that is ballisticaly superior to the 458 win mag.
My concideration is, does the DG know the difference?

I wouldn't know since I'm yet to make that trip. However, you can have a Lott and make it a win mag. You can't make a win mag a Lott.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross