.458 Winchester Magnum too much gun?

Discussion in '.375 & Up' started by Quaticman, Nov 25, 2019.

1. CoElkHunter

CoElkHunter AH Fanatic

There really are no stupid or silly questions that one can’t ask on this forum. Believe me, I’ve asked and continue to ask many, many stupid/ignorant questions about many things here on AH. Just because I do not know. Bruce Moulds set me straight on that. He stated, “The only stupid questions are the ones not asked”. And, “that’s how we all learn, and it’s fun too”.
    Anyway, I have a CZ .458 WM with open sights. Haven’t hunted with it yet, but I enjoy the open sights shooting at 50 meters.

mikecatt13 likes this.

2. Von S.

Von S. AH Fanatic

Mike,

My 5'2" 115 pound wife and a 5'1" miniature male friend have both shot the hell out of my 458 scoped mauser that I put together from parts I had laying around years ago and never got bumped ny the scope and it is light.

Hogpatrol and mikecatt13 like this.

3. Forrest Halley

Forrest Halley AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Topped off no, but the partial clip can be ejected via the mysterious button on the left hand side of the receiver and replaced with a full clip. The world needs to know what this button does!
    At Least Not This Time

BeeMaa likes this.

4. IvW

IvW AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    BASA, CHASA
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Namibia,Zambia
    The .400's are perfect Buffalo cartridges, but the .375's by far kill the most every year....

Personally I would not hunt anything with a 458WM...

TOBY458 likes this.

5. BeeMaa

BeeMaa AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, SCI
    Hunted:
    Eastern US & RSA
    A few things I've learned about @IvW.
    Double gun cartridges need to have a flange (not a belt) for reliable extraction.
    Bolt action cartridges are not to be belted for reliable feeding.

Good advice.

IvW likes this.

6. Hillbilly Marine

Hillbilly Marine AH Member

I haven't had the opportunity to hit Africa but my thoughts are along this line. As long as it is legal to use, you have a rifle you like, and it is loaded with an appropriate projectile then use it. A .458 WM is just fine (from all I can glean from others) for buffalo. Is it necessary? No, but then again a lot of critters are taken down with "too much gun". When talking about a critter that can kill you, is there such a thing?

Von S. likes this.

7. dougfinn

dougfinn AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Nothing is “too much gun” if you tailor the loads to suit the game. I have a .458 that I’ve developed a couple of nice loads with 350 gr. bullets for brush hunting and am working on a load for my 450/400 double for hunting black tail deer locally. It’s a shame to never use a hunting rifle for hunting. Get out there and enjoy those big bores.

Hogpatrol and Von S. like this.

8. kurpfalzjäger

kurpfalzjäger AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    If it were always that easy !

You only need to read some comments and opinions on the forum and in papers , including comments coming from some PH in Africa , about big bore rifles used by clients for big game hunting , to think about whether you should really take such rifle with you or not.

In view of some opinions , some will consider whether , like all other clients , they should not prefer to take a rifle in an average caliber that is suitable for DG rather than to be viewed as something else or even suspicious. How bigger the caliber , even if you master it well , and how much it is sometimes the reason for some , other hunters or PH , if something went wrong.

If you hunt alone it's not a problem , but in an organization you sometimes have to adapt to the circumstances and don't go too much out of line.

9. Forrest Halley

Forrest Halley AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Just as the powder was starting to clump...along came a revival.

10. kurpfalzjäger

kurpfalzjäger AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    This happened often in the cartridge 458 Win Mag in its early days...almost led to its decline , but like the topic , she was saved at the last moment.

Forrest Halley likes this.