AH senior member
Reaction score
Member of
PHASA, SCI, BASA
Hunted
Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Namibia, South Africa
Hi Guys

Im in a bit of a dilemma.
I always wanted a 458 Lott but the only rifles imported to South Africa is a CZ 550 Safari magnum in 458 Lott.
Now I have a choice, Either buy the CZ or buy a Wincherster 458 Win Mag and covert it to a 458 Lott.
Or just stick to the 458 Win Mag.

What would be your choice if this would be your primary backup rifle.

It is what your confidence level is with. Both rifles will serve you well.

With new developed powder in current 458 ammo the 458 Win Mag should be all you ever need.

If you think you need the 458 Lott then go for it. You can shoot the 458 Win Mag ammo in it.

I have used a .458 win mag as my back up rifle for quite a longtime. I never had it fail me, I never had penetration problems. Like James mentioned the new powders turned the win mag into a gem. Hornady factory loads do 2140 fps with 500gr bullets, you do not need more than this.

Add top notch bullet technology and I'm not sure the Lott has that much advantage anymore.

The story of the .458 Mag problems and the birth of the Lott etc. is quite interesting, but most of the info floating around out there is either obsolete or just plain BS.
Bottom line is there is really no reason for the Lott to exist, other than someone wanting a more powerful rifle. The .458 Winchester is quite powerful enough to be perfectly safe to use on dangerous game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Guys

Im in a bit of a dilemma.
I always wanted a 458 Lott but the only rifles imported to South Africa is a CZ 550 Safari magnum in 458 Lott.
Now I have a choice, Either buy the CZ or buy a Wincherster 458 Win Mag and covert it to a 458 Lott.
Or just stick to the 458 Win Mag.

What would be your choice if this would be your primary backup rifle.

Bernard,

as far as my knowledge, the Winchester model 70 .458 cannot be converted to a lott (expensive way, you just can buy a converted one for much cheaper!!)...and assume this is the Winchester you referring to...Guy's correct me if i am wrong.

I am hunting with the Model 70 .458 for the last 10 years with NO problems!!

Pieter,

Do round about that fps on a 450grainer, 500gr about 2050fps...and still KILLS!!

the 458 Win is a fine cartridge and with the proper powder should achieve 2150fps at safe pressure levels (according to various manuals). Hornady factory ammunition is the most powerful factory 458 Win on the market to my knowledge but I do not like the DGX bullet. hand loading will bring out the best results with the 458 Win mag.

the 458 Lott brings the .458" caliber to another level giving it similar muzzle energy to the 500 NE 3". it also operates at lower pressures then the 458 Win which may or may not be an issue depending on powder choice in the 458 Win.

-matt

Thanks for the info guys.
As far as Reloading goes, we only have the Somchem powder to our disposal in SA.
Im not sure if you can get everything out of the 458 Win Mag as you would get with Hornady Factory ammunition.
One of the reasons why I opted for the 458 Lott.
Would that make a difference.

Bushwack
Thanks for that interesting info regarding the conversion on the Winchester.
I will definitely look into that.

im far from experienced as I haven't been to Africa yet so take my words with a grain of salt. but in your shoes with limited powder access, I would choose the 458 Lott. im not familiar with Somchem powder but I suspect you will get better performance with more powder options using the 458 Lott.

-matt

im far from experienced as I haven't been to Africa yet so take my words with a grain of salt. but in your shoes with limited powder access, I would choose the 458 Lott. im not familiar with Somchem powder but I suspect you will get better performance with more powder options using the 458 Lott.

-matt
This is the reason I use Hornady factory ammo, I actually chronographed their ballistics of 2140fps as given on the packaging. We can not achieve that with 500gr bullets using Somchem powder.

...Bushwack
Thanks for that interesting info regarding the conversion on the Winchester.
I will definitely look into that.

Everyone has his 'killing machine'...NOTHING wrong with the .458 WM...the Lott is ouch on the shoulder!!

I too, am looking for a .458. Great feedback to work with...

Anyone have a Lott and regularly fire the win mag out of it? Are there any potential issues due to headspace etc? I've wondered why not just get a Lott even if win is preferred due to the extra options?

Anyone have a Lott and regularly fire the win mag out of it? Are there any potential issues due to headspace etc? I've wondered why not just get a Lott even if win is preferred due to the extra options?

I was at a safari shoot and a fellow from Tucson came up for it. He has a Lott but was firing Win Mag loads. He had a problem with feeding all day long. I would think with careful full length resizing, i.e. partial full length resizing that the headspace issue could be avoided.

Headspace is achieved on the belt...so not an issue. You will have more freebore, so velocity of the .458 load will likely be a little lower than if fired in a .458 chamber.

The shorter rounds can cause feeding issues....

I have both 458 wm an a custom m70 in the lott. Conversion is pretty simple an cost effective. Any smith should be able to handle it.

as far as big recoil goes, you don't have to load the 458 Lott full tilt. it can very easily be loaded to 2150fps by hand loading. with the Lott you would be able to start at 2150fps and work your way up until you find your limit for recoil.

-matt

as far as big recoil goes, you don't have to load the 458 Lott full tilt. it can very easily be loaded to 2150fps by hand loading. with the Lott you would be able to start at 2150fps and work your way up until you find your limit for recoil.

-matt

Absolutely correct Matt, them last 100-150 fps to start hitting high potential energy does come at a price.

A Winchester 70 in 458WM is easily converted to the 458 Lott. BUT, the 458 WM with a 450grain Barnes, CEB or GS custom (if they do a 450 grain) is just awesome. The 500 grain monometal is pretty long for the WM case the 450 grain takes up a bit less powder space.

I have shot 458WM out of both my Ruger and Winchester Lott with no issue (other than point of impact change) maybe I'm lucky???

The CZ is a great rifle, very sturdy and reliable, largest magazine capacity available (5 rounds down, some of them even take 6 in the magazine!), and with the proper polishing and tuning they make outstanding DG rifles.

Go for it, you'll like the rifle!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darrell572

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg