AH senior member
Reaction score
Member of
PHASA, SCI, BASA
Hunted
Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Namibia, South Africa
Hi Guys

Im in a bit of a dilemma.
I always wanted a 458 Lott but the only rifles imported to South Africa is a CZ 550 Safari magnum in 458 Lott.
Now I have a choice, Either buy the CZ or buy a Wincherster 458 Win Mag and covert it to a 458 Lott.
Or just stick to the 458 Win Mag.

What would be your choice if this would be your primary backup rifle.

James.Grage

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, ATA, PITA, NAHC, NAFC, DU, TU, DSC, SCI, RMEF
Hunted
USA - Canada -Tanzania, South Africa, Zimbabwe
It is what your confidence level is with. Both rifles will serve you well.

With new developed powder in current 458 ammo the 458 Win Mag should be all you ever need.

If you think you need the 458 Lott then go for it. You can shoot the 458 Win Mag ammo in it.

peras

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
PHASA HSC
Hunted
South Africa,Zimbabwe,Mozambique
I have used a .458 win mag as my back up rifle for quite a longtime. I never had it fail me, I never had penetration problems. Like James mentioned the new powders turned the win mag into a gem. Hornady factory loads do 2140 fps with 500gr bullets, you do not need more than this.

PHOENIX PHIL

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
Add top notch bullet technology and I'm not sure the Lott has that much advantage anymore.

ikeda

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, TSRA, SCI
Hunted
Namibia (3), Zimbabwe
The story of the .458 Mag problems and the birth of the Lott etc. is quite interesting, but most of the info floating around out there is either obsolete or just plain BS.
Bottom line is there is really no reason for the Lott to exist, other than someone wanting a more powerful rifle. The .458 Winchester is quite powerful enough to be perfectly safe to use on dangerous game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Patrick R

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe, South Africa
Hi Guys

Im in a bit of a dilemma.
I always wanted a 458 Lott but the only rifles imported to South Africa is a CZ 550 Safari magnum in 458 Lott.
Now I have a choice, Either buy the CZ or buy a Wincherster 458 Win Mag and covert it to a 458 Lott.
Or just stick to the 458 Win Mag.

What would be your choice if this would be your primary backup rifle.

Bernard,

as far as my knowledge, the Winchester model 70 .458 cannot be converted to a lott (expensive way, you just can buy a converted one for much cheaper!!)...and assume this is the Winchester you referring to...Guy's correct me if i am wrong.

I am hunting with the Model 70 .458 for the last 10 years with NO problems!!

Pieter,

Do round about that fps on a 450grainer, 500gr about 2050fps...and still KILLS!!

matt85

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa, and Namibia
the 458 Win is a fine cartridge and with the proper powder should achieve 2150fps at safe pressure levels (according to various manuals). Hornady factory ammunition is the most powerful factory 458 Win on the market to my knowledge but I do not like the DGX bullet. hand loading will bring out the best results with the 458 Win mag.

the 458 Lott brings the .458" caliber to another level giving it similar muzzle energy to the 500 NE 3". it also operates at lower pressures then the 458 Win which may or may not be an issue depending on powder choice in the 458 Win.

-matt

Bernard de Lange

AH senior member
Reaction score
Member of
PHASA, SCI, BASA
Hunted
Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Namibia, South Africa
Thanks for the info guys.
As far as Reloading goes, we only have the Somchem powder to our disposal in SA.
Im not sure if you can get everything out of the 458 Win Mag as you would get with Hornady Factory ammunition.
One of the reasons why I opted for the 458 Lott.
Would that make a difference.

Bushwack
Thanks for that interesting info regarding the conversion on the Winchester.
I will definitely look into that.

matt85

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
im far from experienced as I haven't been to Africa yet so take my words with a grain of salt. but in your shoes with limited powder access, I would choose the 458 Lott. im not familiar with Somchem powder but I suspect you will get better performance with more powder options using the 458 Lott.

-matt

peras

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
PHASA HSC
Hunted
South Africa,Zimbabwe,Mozambique
im far from experienced as I haven't been to Africa yet so take my words with a grain of salt. but in your shoes with limited powder access, I would choose the 458 Lott. im not familiar with Somchem powder but I suspect you will get better performance with more powder options using the 458 Lott.

-matt
This is the reason I use Hornady factory ammo, I actually chronographed their ballistics of 2140fps as given on the packaging. We can not achieve that with 500gr bullets using Somchem powder.

Patrick R

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe, South Africa
...Bushwack
Thanks for that interesting info regarding the conversion on the Winchester.
I will definitely look into that.

Everyone has his 'killing machine'...NOTHING wrong with the .458 WM...the Lott is ouch on the shoulder!!

petrusg

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, DCS, PHASA, SA Hunters, Xtreem Archery, Rowland Ward, WRSA
Hunted
South Africa, Mozambique, Zimbabwe
I too, am looking for a .458. Great feedback to work with...

Royal27

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
USA - TX, CO, GA, ID. Africa - Zimbabwe, Zambia, and South Africa (Limpopo and EC)
Anyone have a Lott and regularly fire the win mag out of it? Are there any potential issues due to headspace etc? I've wondered why not just get a Lott even if win is preferred due to the extra options?

PHOENIX PHIL

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
Anyone have a Lott and regularly fire the win mag out of it? Are there any potential issues due to headspace etc? I've wondered why not just get a Lott even if win is preferred due to the extra options?

I was at a safari shoot and a fellow from Tucson came up for it. He has a Lott but was firing Win Mag loads. He had a problem with feeding all day long. I would think with careful full length resizing, i.e. partial full length resizing that the headspace issue could be avoided.

tarbe

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life, Handloaders Anonymous
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Zimbabwe

Headspace is achieved on the belt...so not an issue. You will have more freebore, so velocity of the .458 load will likely be a little lower than if fired in a .458 chamber.

The shorter rounds can cause feeding issues....

BnC 04

Gold supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, RMEF, DU, NWTF, NRA
Hunted
Canada/Europe/Africa/14 US States
I have both 458 wm an a custom m70 in the lott. Conversion is pretty simple an cost effective. Any smith should be able to handle it.

matt85

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
as far as big recoil goes, you don't have to load the 458 Lott full tilt. it can very easily be loaded to 2150fps by hand loading. with the Lott you would be able to start at 2150fps and work your way up until you find your limit for recoil.

-matt

BnC 04

Gold supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, RMEF, DU, NWTF, NRA
Hunted
Canada/Europe/Africa/14 US States
as far as big recoil goes, you don't have to load the 458 Lott full tilt. it can very easily be loaded to 2150fps by hand loading. with the Lott you would be able to start at 2150fps and work your way up until you find your limit for recoil.

-matt

Absolutely correct Matt, them last 100-150 fps to start hitting high potential energy does come at a price.

JTEX

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, TSRA
Hunted
USA, Mexico, Argentina, SouthAfrica, Zimbabwe, Tanzania
A Winchester 70 in 458WM is easily converted to the 458 Lott. BUT, the 458 WM with a 450grain Barnes, CEB or GS custom (if they do a 450 grain) is just awesome. The 500 grain monometal is pretty long for the WM case the 450 grain takes up a bit less powder space.

I have shot 458WM out of both my Ruger and Winchester Lott with no issue (other than point of impact change) maybe I'm lucky???

Kano

AH senior member
Reaction score
The CZ is a great rifle, very sturdy and reliable, largest magazine capacity available (5 rounds down, some of them even take 6 in the magazine!), and with the proper polishing and tuning they make outstanding DG rifles.

Go for it, you'll like the rifle!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
denzel

Latest profile posts

Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.
Lkhntr wrote on Warpig602's profile.
On the vx6 2-12 what does the zl2 stand for?

Thanks, Oliver
bowjijohn wrote on AfricaHunting.com's profile.
Many thanks for re formatting my article for the forum

I served my time in both the bush and during the bush war

I hope it did it justice

Education is where it is at - without it the wild places are history

You - sir - are well placed to make a difference

J