458 Win Mag comparison to its peers-375,416,404

This would seem a pointless discussion with the modern powders available. The 458WM is now easily capable of 2150fps with a 500gr soft, without compressing charges. Even 2200fps is reasonable with appropriate powders and lightly compressed loads. The 500gr bullet SD of a 0.458 is greater then the SD of the 0.474. Why would anyone be concerned about the caliber's "ability" to take dangerous game? People need to understand the limits of the cartridge's past are no longer an issue in today's technology. Get on the sticks, practice, practice, practice until you can't get the shot wrong and do your thing in the field...

If comparing apples to apples... Take a 450gr bullet in a 416Rigby vs 458WM. There is no published data in reloading manuals that shows a 416Rigby exceeding 2200fps with that 450gr bullet. Yet the 458WM exceeds that and can achieve 2300fps. If you take into account modern monolithic bullets, the 458WM exceeds 2450fps with 450gr bullets and straight-line penetration of 4ft+ is recorded.

While you can anecdotally discuss cross section (frontal cross section). The 458WM brings that heavy hand to the fight. So arguably for the same reason a 470Nitro is considered a better stopping rifle over the 458WM (same bullet weight and velocity). The 458WM has over any 416, save the 416 Weatherby or Cheytec. As I stated, it shouldn't even be close anymore given the 458WM can exceed the velocity of the 416 family of bullets.

I would choose any of the other three any day of the week......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LawerenceV

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross