458 Win & 404 Grain Shock Hammer

jwp475

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
404 grain Shock Hammer is now being served
COAL 3.383" 2523 FPs

20220829-171302.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What’s the difference between the Shock Hammer and the Claw Hammer ? I wish they made these in 450Gr weight. Would have a sectional density that agrees with me more.
There are several factors that mean more than SD as to penetration
These 404 grain Shock Hammers penetrate very well in testing.

There are several factors that mean more than SD as to penetration
These 404 grain Shock Hammers penetrate very well in testing.
Would you happen to know the difference between Hammer brand’s Claw Hammer and Shock Hammer bullets? I always get confused.

@jwp475 would you mind sharing your load data via a PM?

Norma cases, federal 215 primers, 85 grains of AA2230 @ COAL of 3.3830" which is as long as I can get in the magazine. This load is heavily compressed and very likely to be over the SAAMA MAP pressure of 62,000 PSI.

Yes, 450 Grain Bullets for the 458 Winni is that what makes me real hot for this cartridge. Easy brass, easy reloading and equipment, normal sized action, easy recoil, handable rIfle weight and so on. In combination with 350 grainers for plainsgame, the good old .458 is versatile like rubber boots in great britain.
The biggest enemy of that .458 was the introduction with 500 grainers trying to copy or even beat the 450NE and 470 NE.
For that 500 grain bullets (leadfree bullets even need more space) the 458 Win shell is in my opinion toooo short.
I think thats why the Lott came up and did it right !!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross