458 Swift A Frame 450 Grain for Buffalo

TOBY458

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Does anyone have any experience with this bullet on Cape Buffalo or OZ Buffalo? Looks to me like it would be a great bullet when pushed around 2300 FPS from a 458 Lott or Win Mag.
Seems to be kind of a compromise between trajectory and hitting power.

Same sectional density as a 300gr .375.

2300 is close to that optimal (so the experts say) 2,400 FPS for max penetration.

It’s an A-Frame (‘nuff said).

Also interested to hear first-hand reports.

Toby,

When did you start shooting Buff past 50 yards?

The 500 gr at 2200 FPS will be the better option as MM and KO is greater and I would bet the expansion of a 500 will be of larger dia then the 450 thus a larger wound channel.
BUT if 450s are what I had it would ge the job done as stated above “its a Swift AFrame”

Toby,

When did you start shooting Buff past 50 yards?
I was thinking more along the lines of maybe needing to shoot over 100 yards on an Eland or whatever may present itself when hunting buffalo. To me, it would make the 458 more versatile. In reality I'm trying to justify my recent purchase of a 458 Lott when I already have two 416s in the safe.

The 500 gr at 2200 FPS will be the better option as MM and KO is greater and I would bet the expansion of a 500 will be of larger dia then the 450 thus a larger wound channel.
BUT if 450s are what I had it would ge the job done as stated above “its a Swift AFrame”
I'm sure this is true. But for versatility the 450 gr would lighten recoil and maybe flatten trajectory a bit.

I think the great thing about the A-Frames, North Forks and the monos that hold so much weight is that you can shoot at least somewhat lighter/faster projectiles and get the same or even better performance.

So if the 450 works well for you, have at it. But if the idea is that the rifle may be used for PG, I'd develop loads for both the 450 and 500 gr versions. It may be that the 500gr load is significantly more accurate and would overcome the slight advantage in trajectory.

Toby,

You got the 458 Lott now while your still single to prevent future marital strife and family discourse. The future Mrs Toby might not understand why you need a 458 when you own two 416 but now its just a rifle you had when you got married. I think its a good move on your part to consider you future wife when buying your firearms

Toby,

You got the 458 Lott now while your still single to prevent future marital strife and family discourse. The future Mrs Toby might not understand why you need a 458 when you own two 416 but now its just a rifle you had when you got married. I think its a good move on your part to consider you future wife when buying your firearms
Wife is a four letter word around my house! :E Nono:

I would actually bet the 500gr bullet expands to the same diameter as the 450gr bullet. remember this is a swift A-frame and it has two cores. the frontal core appears to be the the same size/weight on both the 450gr and 500gr with only the back core increasing in size for the heavier bullet. https://www.swiftbullets.com/pages/bullets

I believe that if the speed is the same between bullets then the expansion will be exactly the same but the 500gr will penetrate deeper. now if you pushed the 450gr faster then you will get greater damage from the higher speed.

having said all that... a 450gr .458" bullet moving at 2000fps or greater will kill a cape buffalo. keep in mind the 450 NE 3.25" does a fine job on all dangerous game and its throwing a 480gr bullet at 2050fps.

-matt

Matt85,
You could be right on the Swift Partitions. They may be the same in the front with the rear core being shorter.yes I am in accord with the 2050 FPS of the 450 NE being adequate. Would have to slice a couple of bullets to find the truth or call Swift. Me, I wish Swift made a 550 gr.

I am no reloader but from my experience the Swift A frame is devastating on buff.

Toby, considering the number of "super boomers" you own and the likelihood of getting more of them you really need to purchase a copy of Pierre van der Walt's book AFRICAN DANGEROUS GAME CARTRIDGES. It contains a very good write up on each caliber as well as published loads from a number of bullet and or powder manufacturers. For instance the article dealing with the 458 Lott has loads for the following bullet weights in grains: 600, 550, 500, 480, 470, 465, 450, 400, 350 & 300. I have an AH "buddy" that lives in Pretoria S.A. that knows the author quite well. He told me that when this book is sold out, there will be no more printed. So get it while you can. Don't say I didn't warn you.

The mushroomed bullets are 500 gr A Frames from two different buffs. The solids are from two other bulls that were shot going away and are early 1990 era Hornady solids. You could reload them.

E1CB501E-4BA6-4BB1-B063-ABF7D752F7EB.jpeg

Toby, considering the number of "super boomers" you own and the likelihood of getting more of them you really need to purchase a copy of Pierre van der Walt's book AFRICAN DANGEROUS GAME CARTRIDGES. It contains a very good write up on each caliber as well as published loads from a number of bullet and or powder manufacturers. For instance the article dealing with the 458 Lott has loads for the following bullet weights in grains: 600, 550, 500, 480, 470, 465, 450, 400, 350 & 300. I have an AH "buddy" that lives in Pretoria S.A. that knows the author quite well. He told me that when this book is sold out, there will be no more printed. So get it while you can. Don't say I didn't warn you.
Thanks Art! I'll look into that book.

For what it’s worth, if (when) I go for buffalo again, I’ll be taking my Ruger #1 .458 Lott stoked with the 450 gr Swifts. Didn’t even really consider the 500 gr.

Since I have discovered the Cutting Edge Bullets, I use them exclusively for dangerous game! Can go down with the weight to a 450 gr Solid and pair it up with the 420 gr Safari Raptor. The Raptor is a brass monometal in a hollow point design. It is absolutely devastating on big and nasty critters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois