458 lott vs 500 nitro

Papabear55

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
What's everyones thoughts between these two calibers? Planning to pick up both of those calibers in the future, just trying to decide which to get first. I could get a cz550 458 or a sabatti 500. Have owned both calibers in the past on ruger no1 actions so I'm familiar with the cartridges but not the rifles.

Any reason y'all would go one way or another?

I'm not a double rifle guy, but I would look at Heym or Krieghoff for a double. You could get a CZ 550 in 505 Gibbs or 500 Jeffery and kill two birds with one stone.
The issue there is finding one for sale. Heym, Krieghoff or Merkel are where I'm looking as far as a 500ne goes in the long run. If i were to pick up the sabatti it'd only be temporarily to scratch that itch

My thoughts are .500s are cooler than Lotts. You can get a Sako Brown Bear in .500 Jeffery for $2598.

The issue there is finding one for sale. Heym, Krieghoff or Merkel are where I'm looking as far as a 500ne goes in the long run. If i were to pick up the sabatti it'd only be temporarily to scratch that itch
It would seem that the better course is going to be wait until you can get the finer rifle rather than the half measure of the Sabatti in the short game. Double rifles seem to be the tool of those who have deliberated carefully and chosen a steady course of action.

between the two rifles you picked, I would pick the 550 in 458 Lott.

Both cartridges are pretty comparable in terms of power. Both work great as DG cartridges but the 500 will work slightly better at close range while the 458 will work slightly better at longer ranges.

I had terrible experiences with Sabatti and would never buy one again.

-Matt

Scope the Lott and you will have an accurate hammer to past 200 yards. Be a lot more of a multi purpose gun than the 500 double.

I took a whitetail last fall at 200 yards with my Lott, I would have never tried the shot with my 470 double. 100 yards I would be confident with my 470 double, same would hold true for a 500 if I could shoot it well.

Big doubles are for close encounters , for me anyways.

Some nice Heym doubles for sale in Canada right now.

Scope the Lott and you will have an accurate hammer to past 200 yards. Be a lot more of a multi purpose gun than the 500 double.

I took a whitetail last fall at 200 yards with my Lott, I would have never tried the shot with my 470 double. 100 yards I would be confident with my 470 double, same would hold true for a 500 if I could shoot it well.

Got a link to the heyms?

@Papabear55 the Heyms are on Ralf Martinis website, listed I believe in Canadian dollars. They are listed in the for sale section. There is a nice 470 as well as a couple 500/416 as well.

I am not sure if it is ok to link it if they aren't a forum sponsor? Martinigunmakers then a dot com

Likewise I shot a cow elk two years ago at about the same range with my scoped 500 Jeffery. She didn't get up.

If I were choosing between an accurate, versatile, fairly priced bolt gun, (Winchester, Kimber, Ect), and a cheap double, I know what I would choose. Hands down. Get the 458 and set it up with QD scope mounts, and a low power variable scope. Then when you save up enough to buy a quality double, get one that is regulated correctly, and has good resale value. Read, Heym, Verney Carron, Merkel, ect.

@Papabear55 the Heyms are on Ralf Martinis website, listed I believe in Canadian dollars. They are listed in the for sale section. There is a nice 470 as well as a couple 500/416 as well.

I am not sure if it is ok to link it if they aren't a forum sponsor? Martinigunmakers then a dot com
I got in contact with the owner, thank you

If I were choosing between an accurate, versatile, fairly priced bolt gun, (Winchester, Kimber, Ect), and a cheap double, I know what I would choose. Hands down. Get the 458 and set it up with QD scope mounts, and a low power variable scope. Then when you save up enough to buy a quality double, get one that is regulated correctly, and has good resale value. Read, Heym, Verney Carron, Merkel, ect.

Here's my CZ 550 in 500 Jeffery, Talley steel QR rings, Leupold 1.5-5x scope. I shoot 570g TSX's at 2300 fps. Seems to work, but if your heart's settled on a nice double in 500 NE, I certainly can't fault you for that :)

full

Last edited by a moderator:
My PH on my Buffalo hunt this year shoots a 500 NE double when I asked him about recoil he said the 458 Lott I used kicks him worse then the 500.

500 NE makes a 26 % bigger hole but has less energy per square inch. In fact, less energy in total.

To be honest, one may favor either but I don't think there is much of a difference. Personally, I think the Lott penetrates more but makes a smaller hole with a solid. It does kick a little more but 500 doubles usually weigh more-reducing recoil and making them heavier to carry.

I use a 458 Lott. If I could afford it, I would order a Heym in 470 or 500 NE.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OmaMcGill

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg