458 Lott, South African Powders...???

Hillbilly_za

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am the proud new owner of a brand spanking new 458 Lott (CZ 550 Safari Magnum).

I have been reloading for years for various different calibers, but this will be a first for the Lott.

I was wondering if there is anyone out there (A South African) who might have a safe load for me to start with, using our local South African powders?

I'm looking for a safe starting load for:
1 - a 400gr jacketed bullet (made by local company, Frontier)
2 -a 475gr monolithic solid called a Zombo, and
3 - a safe start load for a 600gr jacketed bullet, also made by Frontier here in SA.

If anyone has some info for me I'd greatly appreciate it.

Many thanks,

Pete.

Welcome to AH Pete.

I believe Niel Uys has that same monster caliber.
He just may be able to help you. I'll volunteer him. (Drop him a PM if he does not reply here.)

Pete

Welcome to AH, you have found the place to help you out...

Pete.

im re-loading for the 458 Lott, i can send you my load data when i get home if you like however, im loading Barnes tsx and Barnes banded solids both 500gr.
Also from a CZ 550.

Anton.

Hi,im also looking for loads on mine with the same bullet and that will give me 2200fps.

Really sorry i dragged my feet on delivering this re-loading data to you, firstly i just want to make mention that the below Data was my test loads they work well in my rifle 458 Lott CZ550 Safari Magnum 22 inch barrel, I DO NOT KNOW WHAT THEY WILL DO IN YOUR RIFLE, AND I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY PROBLEMS YOU MAY ENCOUNTER, Im merely sharing what worked for me.

Bullet - Barnes TSX
Weight - 500 gr
Propellent - Somchem S335
Case - Hornady
COL - 95,5
Primer - PMP Large Rifle Magnum
Crimp - Yes
74 gr 75 gr 76 gr
1) 2190 fps 1) 2155 fps 1) 2238 fps
2) 2194 fps 2) 2200 fps 2) unmeasured
3) 2146 fps 3) 2212 fps 3) unmeasured

i load 74 gr as its very comfortable to shoot and my groupings are the best.. its also more than enough for DG

hope this helps

Ant

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaeMorris

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross