.458 Lott recoil is no joke

There is nothing wrong with the .458 Lott. It all comes down to stock fit and shooting technique. I have no problem with mine scoped
Or with irons. I agree, if it bothers you, shoot something lighter, but don’t make the mistake of thinking that because it’s wrong for you it’s a poor choice for those who can shoot it well. I have shot buffalo with both the ,375 and the Lott. The difference is dramatic.

There is nothing wrong with the .458 Lott. It all comes down to stock fit and shooting technique. I have no problem with mine scoped
Or with irons. I agree, if it bothers you, shoot something lighter, but don’t make the mistake of thinking that because it’s wrong for you it’s a poor choice for those who can shoot it well. I have shot buffalo with both the ,375 and the Lott. The difference is dramatic.
I respect anyone's choice, but using a brake, past devices, lead sleds, all crutches.

No 1’s are not fun guns in heavy calibers. I assume it is the stock design. My .458 Lott is very reasonable to shoot but it’s a Model 70 with a decelerator pad.

I have a No1 in 9.3x62 and it is fine to shoot. However it has noticeably more recoil than my Rigby Highland Stalker in 9.3x62. I can imagine that a No 1 in .458 Lott gets your attention!

If you can’t make it manageable, just go back to shooting .458 WM out of it. It will shoot them fine.
Exactly as WAB says. Big calibers and Ruger No.1 are not a great combination. 458 Lott is always going to be stout but with a rifle of at least 10lbs and good stock shape its manageable if never pleasant. My M03 was surprisingly suitable in 458Lott with the Extreme stock.

I see what you're doing here...I don't pop up everytime somebody mentions a .458 Lott Ruger #1...sometimes I'm sleeping.
Forrest,
You need to have a system like Brickburn has. Keystrokes on here are synced to certain words, which then set off a buzzer tied to your wrist. So even when your sleeping and someone types in "Ruger #1 Lott", you'll be buzzed. You can then pop up in bed and respond on your I Phone? No need to get out of bed. It could be an important message?
CEH

Apart from just wanting to, what is the point of Lotterising a 458WM? I thought the 458 put down anything on the planet. There must be umpteen posts on AH of people who do this and then feel nothing but pain - am I missing something?
Kevin,
No, as with many things here regarding calibers and cartridges, there isn't much of a point to most of it? .600 Overkill, .577 Tyranosaurus, .35 Whelen, .550 Triceratops, .25 Souper (.243 necked up to .25), .465 H and H (Unicorn), .416 Lott (I'm working on it?), .458 WM rechambered to a Lott, .458/20mm, etc. The list is endless along with the pain (both physical and mental)!
CEH

Co

Come on Kevin, no guts, no glory! Ha! Ha!
@CoElkHunter
Common mate put your big boy pants on and and play. It might knock some sense into you to get a Whelen.
Told you I would haunt you
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
Bob

Co

Come on Kevin, no guts, no glory! Ha! Ha!
No no, I have good reason to be scared of Arthur's cannon. At the range, minding my own business when it went off. So I start staggering anound a bit and fall over, throwing up. Anyway the ambulance arrives and I end up in hospital for three days, MRI the lot. They thought I had a stroke. Anyway, turns out it was labrynthitis, had it well before the range visit, but the concussion just tilted it over the edge apparently. For effect we will let Arthur think it was all his fault, he may even fit a 5 litre silencer.

No no, I have good reason to be scared of Arthur's cannon. At the range, minding my own business when it went off. So I start staggering anound a bit and fall over, throwing up. Anyway the ambulance arrives and I end up in hospital for three days, MRI the lot. They thought I had a stroke. Anyway, turns out it was labrynthitis, had it well before the range visit, but the concussion just tilted it over the edge apparently. For effect we will let Arthur think it was all his fault, he may even fit a 5 litre silencer.
@CoElkHunter
Mate now tell the truth it was from the missus when you told her you're not getting a Whelen, but I will give you 10 out of ten for creative writing and blaming the 458 Lott.
Bob

I'd absolutely love to shoot a .460. I'd want it with no brake to get the full experience lol
I’d actually shoot it once. No video necessary. Ha!

I’d actually shoot it once. No video necessary. Ha!
@CoElkHunter
I had the privilege/ misfortune to fire the 460 with the integrated muzzle brake. 3 quick shots on after the other was enough for me. All 3 connected with the 3 inch target at 25 yards so a charging buff would have been gone. It was with great pleasure I handed it back to the owner.
Recoil is what you would call hows ya father it really gets your attention but the recoil on the 378 with full power 300 grainers is absolutely brutal.
Bob.

@CoElkHunter
Mate now tell the truth it was from the missus when you told her you're not getting a Whelen, but I will give you 10 out of ten for creative writing and blaming the 458 Lott.
Bob
Bob,
The Missus wouldn’t know a Whelen from a Winchester from a Weatherby! The only thing she knows is when my ammo or reloading components purchase hits the bank account and she says “What the hell did you buy now?!” I tell her, with a straight face, I bought this item because Bob Nelson from OZ said I should buy it because it was a great deal! She then states, “Is that the guy with 214 guns?” “No honey, that guy is Toby458”. Bob only has a .35 Whelen. “A 35 WHAT! “. I said, “yeah, that’s what everybody else here asks?”.
Ha! Ha! Ha!
CEH

@CoElkHunter
I had the privilege/ misfortune to fire the 460 with the integrated muzzle brake. 3 quick shots on after the other was enough for me. All 3 connected with the 3 inch target at 25 yards so a charging buff would have been gone. It was with great pleasure I handed it back to the owner.
Recoil is what you would call hows ya father it really gets your attention but the recoil on the 378 with full power 300 grainers is absolutely brutal.
Bob.
Makes me wonder why people buy them. If a 300 grain Peregrine VRG-2 copper solid at 2550, will pass through a buffalo, why do you need to send it at 2900 ?

Something I've learned is once you get to .375, expanding bullets are not needed. A .375 with a flat nose solid will leave a 3/8" entrance hole in the skin.. About a 3/4" wound cavity and exit hole. They bleed like crazy.

But, I love the big boomers and I'd own one just to say I did.

Bob,
The Missus wouldn’t know a Whelen from a Winchester from a Weatherby! The only thing she knows is when my ammo or reloading components purchase hits the bank account and she says “What the hell did you buy now?!” I tell her, with a straight face, I bought this item because Bob Nelson from OZ said I should buy it because it was a great deal! She then states, “Is that the guy with 214 guns?” “No honey, that guy is Toby458”. Bob only has a .35 Whelen. “A 35 WHAT! “. I said, “yeah, that’s what everybody else here asks?”.
Ha! Ha! Ha!
CEH
Toby sounds like the guy I got my African from. He sent me a picture of just his handguns. They completely covered a king size bed, and these things were not spaced out. They were close enough to make baby guns.

@CoElkHunter
Bob.
Ok, I’ll shoot one of each. A .460 and a .378. I can say that, because the odds here of anyone having either that I could shoot is slim to none! Ha! Ha!

Toby sounds like the guy I got my African from. He sent me a picture of just his handguns. They completely covered a king size bed, and these things were not spaced out. They were close enough to make baby guns.
I wouldn’t be surprised if you did buy it from him. He’s my buying and selling firearms hero!

@CoElkHunter
Bob.
With the brake, it should’ve recoiled like a .338WM or less?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg