.458 Lott recoil is no joke

I used to see PH’s using 375’s for backup.All they could afford! I had The 416 Rem. Mag with 400 Grain Barnes monolithic solids.Felt pretty good about it! Till I had to shoot a wounded Bull elephant in the Jess! Went right out and got the CZ550 in 500 Jeffry.It just had the punch that the 416 didn’t,recoil was acceptable!

A 9 lb Lott is no joke. My normal 500 Jeffery load is a 570g TSX backed by 103g H4895 for 2300 fps. So the recoil out of my 12 lb 500 Jeffery is probably pretty close to your 9 lb Lott. Offhand it's blast, from the bench not so much.

I've used the .458 Lott ... I don't like it.
I prefer the .375 RUM ... I use it with a mercury recoil reducer.
So what are you accomplishing with the .375RUM? Do you find it difficult to control the bullet expansion?
A 9 lb Lott is no joke. My normal 500 Jeffery load is a 570g TSX backed by 103g H4895 for 2300 fps. So the recoil out of my 12 lb 500 Jeffery is probably pretty close to your 9 lb Lott. Offhand it's blast, from the bench not so much.
I was figuring it was about the same all in all. I have gotten used to the recoil. I haven't quite gotten used to the acceleration of the rifle in the recoil. It's like ready set go! on full loadings with a 500 grain. I have a line on some 600 grain bullets. I should be cautiously excited to see what happens with them. I have a feeling that the 500's will no longer be remarkable. I should hope to make a load that is similar at 50 yards to my other two loads. Then I believe I will be giving your Jeffery a run for its money in felt recoil. One of those shoot, recover and shoot again loads. Car crash recovery.

Since everyone is not burning powder right now...
What are your thoughts on high BC projectiles in the Lott? Another poster got to talking about .416's for elk and it got me to thinking again about just how far you can cajole this boomer into reaching. Clearly I would have to scope it, but what do you think? Nikon Spot On seems to think it could be supersonic to 1500 yards and above 2000 ft lbs to 1100 yards. Assuming 2100 ft sec at the muzzle in a standard environment.

My 500 Jeffery with a 570g TSX is good out to about 300 yards for elk. It's not the energy or the BC, it's the drop that has me self limiting to 300 yards

So what are you accomplishing with the .375RUM? Do you find it difficult to control the bullet expansion?

I was figuring it was about the same all in all. I have gotten used to the recoil. I haven't quite gotten used to the acceleration of the rifle in the recoil. It's like ready set go! on full loadings with a 500 grain. I have a line on some 600 grain bullets. I should be cautiously excited to see what happens with them. I have a feeling that the 500's will no longer be remarkable. I should hope to make a load that is similar at 50 yards to my other two loads. Then I believe I will be giving your Jeffery a run for its money in felt recoil. One of those shoot, recover and shoot again loads. Car crash recovery.
550 gr bullets are less felt recoil than the 500 gr IMHO. The lott case limits the powder so guys can only get 2100 fps or so. I am shooting 515 gr and working up loads. Fired a round 2 weeks ago with S321 powder at 2345 fps-I felt it ! I find velocity conributes more to recoil than bullet mass-something about the speed of the recoil.

Since everyone is not burning powder right now...
What are your thoughts on high BC projectiles in the Lott? Another poster got to talking about .416's for elk and it got me to thinking again about just how far you can cajole this boomer into reaching. Clearly I would have to scope it, but what do you think? Nikon Spot On seems to think it could be supersonic to 1500 yards and above 2000 ft lbs to 1100 yards. Assuming 2100 ft sec at the muzzle in a standard environment.
Well super snipers use the 50 bmg because it is brilliant at long range. Trick would be find bullets-dont think anyone does high BC bullets for the 458.

550 gr bullets are less felt recoil than the 500 gr IMHO. The lott case limits the powder so guys can only get 2100 fps or so. I am shooting 515 gr and working up loads. Fired a round 2 weeks ago with S321 powder at 2345 fps-I felt it ! I find velocity conributes more to recoil than bullet mass-something about the speed of the recoil.
Interesting outlook. Remember I have a single shot so I'm less limited than the rest of the world. I will try to remember this when the heavy bullets arrive.
Well super snipers use the 50 bmg because it is brilliant at long range. Trick would be find bullets-dont think anyone does high BC bullets for the 458.
Looking at Cutting Edge Bullets they sure do. The make a 575 gr, a 600 gr and a 650 gr high BC bullet. 12.7x99 is powerful, but I think much needs to be done to optimize it. Were I out fishing at extreme ranges I would be more interested in a .375 or .408 with the ULD bullets.

What is the weight of the gun? You could also have it magnaported in addition to the above recommended measures (~10-15% reduced felt recoil and still retains its good looks. Not quite the blast of a muzzle brake.

And as dumb as this may sound, the cheapest option is a shooting shirt (I'm familiar w/ the one sold by Woolrich-comes in perfect safari colors.) Two large, zippered breast pockets where the R. or L.-handed shooter can simply insert a square foam pad of any thickness you like. The pockets are huge and go up to your shoulder. I like to use it (in this fashion) for sighting in big bore guns...Just wearing a heavy jacket will achieve the same result at the range...

I have a cheap shooting vest I had a local leather worker sew in a Past recoil pad. Definitely helps for a recoil wuss like me

Interesting outlook. Remember I have a single shot so I'm less limited than the rest of the world. I will try to remember this when the heavy bullets arrive.

Looking at Cutting Edge Bullets they sure do. The make a 575 gr, a 600 gr and a 650 gr high BC bullet. 12.7x99 is powerful, but I think much needs to be done to optimize it. Were I out fishing at extreme ranges I would be more interested in a .375 or .408 with the ULD bullets.
(y) But you will probably need to change barrels to a faster twist on those heavy for calibre bullets. Fun to think about but without the 20 pound 50 BMG rifle with semi auto absorbing recoil, it would need someone recoil impaired to fire it !

What is the weight of the gun? You could also have it magnaported in addition to the above recommended measures (~10-15% reduced felt recoil and still retains its good looks. Not quite the blast of a muzzle brake.

I don't have a scale on hand but I'd wager to guess about 9lb. @Forrest Halley has one as well so maybe he can chime in on the weight. I think they're a little less than what is preferred in a rifle of this calber.

I don't have a scale on hand but I'd wager to guess about 9lb. @Forrest Halley has one as well so maybe he can chime in on the weight. I think they're a little less than what is preferred in a rifle of this calber.
I am not sure, but I believe the .458 conversion and my .458 Lott have different barrels. This barrel is huge. Literally a bull barrel with sights.

I am not sure, but I believe the .458 conversion and my .458 Lott have different barrels. This barrel is huge. Literally a bull barrel with sights.

Mine is a bull barrel too. It is massive. It's so big it's silly almost. Makes the bull barrel on my Savage 12 look tiny haha.

When you say bull barrel, you mean like this? This is a 458 Win, I'm assuming purpose built for something. Used gun rack for $1500 - $1700, can't remember. I'm sure its still there if anyone is interested
Snapchat-337966332.jpg
Snapchat-242265908.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HowardDove

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,