AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, DSC
Hunted
Namibia, Tanzania, Zimbabwe, USA (Northeast, midwest, Rockies, Alaska), Canada and Hungary
I'm planning to use them on my upcoming elephant hunt and was wondering if anyone has any experiences to share?

The design looks dynamite and my rifle lays them in one hole, but looking for practical and personal experiences.

Thanks all.

i dont have any experience with them but the design does look decent. ill be following this thread to see what others think about them.

-matt

I'm planning to use them on my upcoming elephant hunt and was wondering if anyone has any experiences to share?

The design looks dynamite and my rifle lays them in one hole, but looking for practical and personal experiences.

Thanks all.

Have no experience with these however will off the following note.
I used my Ruger #1 458 Lott as my back up rifle during my 2015 elephant hunt. The Lott has plenty of knock down power for the DG hunt epically for ele. The round I took was the Federal Premium Sledge Hammer solids. It's a 500 grain shoulder cracking, skull busting, ear bursting round that will do the job. If you are shooting the Noslers in the same hole then you will be pleased with the result. On the side brain shot placed just in front of the ear that 14x8 inch brain doesn't stand a chance. If you are off just a bit that Lott will most likely knock the ele down giving you plenty of time for a follow up. If you are shooting for the boiler room the beast will not go far.
Best of luck on your hunt. I look forward to reading your hunt report.

I have never shot them, primarily because they are obscenely expensive compared to Barnes solids or CEBs. And they are made by a big company. The design and shape looks to be just about perfect for feeding and penetration. I also believe they are a brass alloy, not copper so they should be even tougher than Barnes bullets. I am just waiting for the Swift solids to become available for handloading as they looking as though they will be the cream of the crop. The swifts have a lead base and so are shorter than the homogenous alloy bullets for lower pressure.

I have never shot them, primarily because they are obscenely expensive compared to Barnes solids or CEBs. And they are made by a big company. The design and shape looks to be just about perfect for feeding and penetration. I also believe they are a brass alloy, not copper so they should be even tougher than Barnes bullets. I am just waiting for the Swift solids to become available for handloading as they looking as though they will be the cream of the crop. The swifts have a lead base and so are shorter than the homogenous alloy bullets for lower pressure.

Yes, they are brass and I think they will be tough as nails. I also look forward to the Swift Solids. Since my hunt is later this month, I've no time to wait! One thought though on the protected point solids is negative though. I actually have the woodliegh hydro load from Federal (very similar design) shooting great, but I am opting for the Nosler because I don't love the plastic cap. I am going to be in thick country and the changes of hitting a small branch or twig on route to the target are not remote. It concerns me that the nose is meant to break up on impact. if that happens on impact with a twig, but before reaching the elephant, I can't imagine that going too well.

Also, they do feed very, very well in my BRNO. I ran three boxes of them (2 solid and 1 soft) through my rifle this morning without so much as a hiccup.

Yes, they are brass and I think they will be tough as nails. I also look forward to the Swift Solids. Since my hunt is later this month, I've no time to wait! One thought though on the protected point solids is negative though. I actually have the woodliegh hydro load from Federal (very similar design) shooting great, but I am opting for the Nosler because I don't love the plastic cap. I am going to be in thick country and the changes of hitting a small branch or twig on route to the target are not remote. It concerns me that the nose is meant to break up on impact. if that happens on impact with a twig, but before reaching the elephant, I can't imagine that going too well.

Also, they do feed very, very well in my BRNO. I ran three boxes of them (2 solid and 1 soft) through my rifle this morning without so much as a hiccup.
I think the plastic point is simply to ensure that they feed in a bolt gun. The point is superfluous on rounds designed for double or single shot rifles. If it breaks away on the way to an elephant's head and it was a substantial enough twig to deflect a 500 grain bullet, it would have deflected the Nosler as well. I wouldn't worry about it too much. All I can say is that your adventure is going to be a blast no matter what round you end up using! (y)

I think the plastic point is simply to ensure that they feed in a bolt gun. The point is superfluous on rounds designed for double or single shot rifles. If it breaks away on the way to an elephant's head and it was a substantial enough twig to deflect a 500 grain bullet, it would have deflected the Nosler as well. I wouldn't worry about it too much. All I can say is that your adventure is going to be a blast no matter what round you end up using! (y)

Thank you sir. You are right on the point, but it's also designed to fly with that on there. chasing that has to change something.

Thank you sir. You are right on the point, but it's also designed to fly with that on there. chasing that has to change something.

Woodleigh Hydrostatic solids shoot to the same place with or without the cap. i bought a bunch of them for my 500 NE and the older boxes came without the plastic caps. i called Woodleigh and asked if there was a difference and was assured that all the cap did was help them feed in bolt action rifles. the difference in BC between having the cap on or off is not really important because you shouldnt be shooting outside of 200 yards with these.

-matt

Woodleigh Hydrostatic solids shoot to the same place with or without the cap. i bought a bunch of them for my 500 NE and the older boxes came without the plastic caps. i called Woodleigh and asked if there was a difference and was assured that all the cap did was help them feed in bolt action rifles. the difference in BC between having the cap on or off is not really important because you shouldnt be shooting outside of 200 yards with these.

-matt

Great to know. Thanks Matt!

Did you shout anything with them?

not yet, planning an elephant hunt in 2020 if im able to save the money.

-matt

Good luck. I'm sure the Hydros will do great. I've really been torn between those and the Noslers. My guess is both are about equally good. The Hydro may deliver more shock on a body shot or missed brain shot, but the nobler is a hammer of the first order as well.

the Nosler solids look like they will do fine and if they shoot well from your rifle then i see no reason to be concerned.

i wish you the best of luck on your hunt! make sure to post plenty of pictures after.

-matt

the Nosler solids look like they will do fine and if they shoot well from your rifle then i see no reason to be concerned.

i wish you the best of luck on your hunt! make sure to post plenty of pictures after.

-matt

Thanks Matt!

brettp,

Never tried them, but I have 2 boxes of the Nosler 0.458 500 grain solids (25 ct.) that are just sitting in my reloading bench unused. One box has been opened to inspect the bullets, but I never loaded any into live rounds. I originally purchased them to load in my 450 Rigby, but instead went with 550 grain North Fork SS and CPS bullets.

If you decide to go with them, and of course you hand-load, then I'd be willing to sell them to you as I will likely never use them.....

Regardless, good luck with your search. The look to be top notch bullets.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.