machinistbutler

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Canada Namibia
Having some trouble with zeroing my set up today. Popped the scope off and there are chunks coming out of the recoil lug of the back ring. Has anyone had this happen before? Scope was on there tight, but a heavy scope in a Vortex Razor 1-6.
IMG_20201009_164231.jpg
IMG_20201009_164246.jpg
IMG_20201009_164219.jpg
IMG_20201009_165342.jpg

Wow, I had one issue with Talleys but it was totally my fault and nothing like this. Since correcting I’ve used Talleys on my Lott for years without issue.

I've always had good results with Warne.
Recommend you contact them directly with pictures and info.
Not sure you are open to accepting help from a company with a fault.
But at the price of (possibly) free, you might give it a try.

Had the scope on my 416 Rigby for about thirty rounds as well, not a mark on the cz receiver, but a deep gouge in the ring for sure.

Looked on warnes website , will send them some pics if they want them.

Have a big heavy Schmidt Zenith on my CZ 375, had it on and off countless times, the recoil lug on it looks new.

Might have been a faulty piece of steel BeeMaa. I have seen it quite a few times with new steel while machining.

I have really liked warne products, recommend them to so many people.

I have been lucky with my CZ's all functioning great, a bit of bad luck with one ring .

Never any issue on moderately recoiling guns med bore Win Mags, etc. The only ones I'm familiar with are the steel-I'm assuming the Q/D are steel? Cannot tell from the photo. I think all that debris did it.... :p 'Not a big fan of the "clamp-to-receiver" system for mounting. Bases and rings work for me in heavy calibers and/or super accurate guns. The only gun I own with similar is a Ruger 22-250 which of course has very little recoil, and a few .22 LR Mags with similar. Not an optimal design. But are they steel?? And, is it cast or machined?? I'm certain they'll be sending you the latest-greatest in Titanium if you promise to clean the gun....Do yourself a favor-when you get your free replacements-sell them and get Alaskan or Talleys. ;)

Imagine what it does on the other end.

I bought Warne when I had a .458wm.
They said there were a type that were machined from solid steel stock (Premier series ?) another type from sintered steel which I too know as being a casting and being a cheaper model. So they said!

I sold my .458 and settled on a .375 same model but little use or experience.

I have a AHR Lott that is a bit goobered on the bridge from a similar issue, no idea what brand of rings where on the gun, happened with the previous owner. the Lott is a recoiling, scope and ring eating beast!!

Warne states solid steel for the heaviest recoiling guns, for the Qd rings.

I expected to maybe have a scope issue , didn't think the rings would wear. The ring steel must be a lot softer than the receiver, as it doesn't have a mark on it.

Interesting! Will a magnet be attracted to it? If not, it’s probably sintered and not machined steel. JMT on it.

The Vortex 1-6x is a really heavy scope. Probably would be better off with a lighter optic on there. That being said, it did a nice job of forging the contact surface of the ring!

I have Leupold bases with QR Leupold Rings on my Lott, zero issues with around 160 rounds through it. Only a light scope though, Leupold VX Hog 1-4.

I have this problem with both Warne and Talley rings coming off my 458WM shooting first with factory and then with reloads.

Even drilled and tapped the receiver for larger screws on a second set of Talley mounts, locktighted and torqued the screws to 20 foot pounds. With light reloads, first round and the mounts and scope blew off.

If not for my glasses the cut on my forehead and nose from the scope could have been worse. It scared the sh*t out of the guy watching me shoot. He thought the gun blew up.

At first I was somewhat pissed, I thought for sure the scope was damaged after hitting the ground. Luckily it wasn't. My injury looked worse than it was.

After a bit of self first aid, I fired the 9 remaining light reloads and 10 rounds of factory using iron sights at 100 yards.

I have this problem with both Warne and Talley rings coming off my 458WM shooting first with factory and then with reloads.

Even drilled and tapped the receiver for larger screws on a second set of Talley mounts, locktighted and torqued the screws to 20 foot pounds. With light reloads, first round and the mounts and scope blew off.

If not for my glasses the cut on my forehead and nose from the scope could have been worse. It scared the sh*t out of the guy watching me shoot. He thought the gun blew up.

At first I was somewhat pissed, I thought for sure the scope was damaged after hitting the ground. Luckily it wasn't. My injury looked worse than it was.

After a bit of self first aid, I fired the 9 remaining light reloads and 10 rounds of factory using iron sights at 100 yards.

That’s crazy! I’m using Talley’s on my M70 .458 Lott with no issues, other than my own mistake mentioned above. I’m shooting Federal safari loads with 500 gr TBBCs at 2300 fps out of a 22” bbl. I wonder why in the world you are having these kinds of problems? It sounds like you’re going above and beyond to ensure a good mount.

Read so many reviews on how tough the razor scope is, thought I would give it a try ,warranty is good in case it crapped out.

Love my Schmidt Bender but it doesn't have much adjustment, razor has tons but it is heavy. Just need the rings to stay put, and with the recoil lug it should have!

Interesting! Will a magnet be attracted to it? If not, it’s probably sintered and not machined steel. JMT on it.
Even cast is solid for marketing purposes

Never seen this with Talley’s on my Lott and I’ve had it for years.

Ew, that’s a bit misleading. I’m not an engineer or metallurgist but I know a little about steel, how many professionals and business people as consumers would accept solid as meaning solid if they don’t have a bit of practical background. It’s misleading,

That’s crazy! I’m using Talley’s on my M70 .458 Lott with no issues, other than my own mistake mentioned above. I’m shooting Federal safari loads with 500 gr TBBCs at 2300 fps out of a 22” bbl. I wonder why in the world you are having these kinds of problems? It sounds like you’re going above and beyond to ensure a good mount.

First mounts and rings I used were Warne as there has been a lot of good reviews on AH about them.

After shooting about 15 rounds each, Hornady 500 grain softs and solids, the little metal rear insert broke and the front one bent.

Purchased a set of Talleys, mounted them, and went to the range with 10 rounds each Nosler 500 grain softs and solids and 20 rounds of test reloads. Tested the reloads no sign of any problems. Then I switched to the Noslers 5 rounds and the scope moved. Rest the scope, tightened down all the base screws. Fired 3 rounds, group was about 1 1/2 inches in the bull ring, none in the dot. Fired 3 more rounds, first round in the dot and the other 2 went wild, okay shooter error (so I thought). Checked the scope and all seemed good. Fired 3 more rounds, well at least 2 in the 12 inch black ring. Fired 2 of the next 3 rounds and couldn't fined the holes anywhere. Looked at the scope to see if it moved again. The rear base mount was no longer affixed to the rifle. Removed the scope and finished shooting up the remainder of ammo using iron sights.

Purchased a second Talley rear base. Rebored, counter sinked, and rethreaded the holes for screws 2 sizes larger and threads longer, just enough not to interfere with the bolt, than the original screws. When the rear base seperated off the rifle it messed up the holes and threads in the rifle receiver. Filled the threads with blue loc tite and torqued all the screws to 20 foot pounds.

Short of welding/soldering the bases this should have held the bases in place, so I thought. Reloaded 5 beginning loads, and 5 light mid loads, on hand 10 rounds of Nosler factory loads.

First 3 rounds in the magazine were the beginning loads. First round sent the scope into my face, putting a cut near my right eyebrow, another cut on the bridge of my nose, which may have been caused when the scope hit my glasses. The scope hit the ground (dirt and gravel) about 3 feet from me.

As I initially said, Luckily the scope wasn't damaged. As for my face a couple of pieces of gauze and medical tape.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlessdiuse

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg