458 Lott and Vihtavuori

If I get 400 gr woodleigh, you have any load data to get it up to 2600? Preferably Norma or Vihtavuori.

When I reload 9,3x62 the goal is up to 5200 joule (3835 foot pound) of energy with accuracy. Hornady label their DGX 500 gr at 2300 feet. That is 7900 joule (5826 foot pound) I tried 86 gr BC-L2 on 450 gr TSX, 2300 and 7144 joule (5269). All my TSX brass had to be cut slightly after calibration.

How Do you guys think about this energy value. Do you use them for reference?
I do not have any load data for Norma or VV. You can interpolate my loads across the burn chart between N140 and N540 for 748 and N530 for 4895 and work up your own if you like. I use 74.0gr H4895 behind a 500gr interlock seated to cannelure for my full power and 80grs W748 behind a 400gr SPRN seated to forward cannelure(there are two) for my practice loads. They shoot a similar POI at fifty yards and the practice load is fun to shoot. Based off my quickload data you could maybe start at 80 grains of VV N140 and work up from there. I accept no liability for this data I have provided you and wish that you proceed in a safe manner working up your own load. This is outside of the
I use the back of the case for reference and the target groups based off interpolated .458WM and gratuitous quickload data. When I achieve the group size and the pressure is good, I stop there. My .458 Lott is a Ruger #1 so it tends to speak with authority on both ends. I have no desire to go higher on my hunting powder charge as it is quite the ride and I also shoot open express sights to a maximum of 100 yards with my rifle.

I do not have any load data for Norma or VV. You can interpolate my loads across the burn chart between N140 and N540 for 748 and N530 for 4895 and work up your own if you like. I use 74.0gr H4895 behind a 500gr interlock seated to cannelure for my full power and 80grs W748 behind a 400gr SPRN seated to forward cannelure(there are two) for my practice loads. They shoot a similar POI at fifty yards and the practice load is fun to shoot. Based off my quickload data you could maybe start at 80 grains of VV N140 and work up from there. I accept no liability for this data I have provided you and wish that you proceed in a safe manner working up your own load. This is outside of the
I use the back of the case for reference and the target groups based off interpolated .458WM and gratuitous quickload data. When I achieve the group size and the pressure is good, I stop there. My .458 Lott is a Ruger #1 so it tends to speak with authority on both ends. I have no desire to go higher on my hunting powder charge as it is quite the ride and I also shoot open express sights to a maximum of 100 yards with my rifle.
Vithavuouris 500-series gives higher velocity than their 100-series. I have 540 at home and have hade great results with it with my other calibers. Normas load data for 500 gr is about 2090 fps with 201. Its a lot slower than Hornadys spec 2300. I think that 540 could work well with 400 gr.

I have Gordon Reloadning Tool, but I don’t feel I can trust that because its a straight wall case. Do anyone of you i use that or Quick load for 458 Lott?

I used 71 gr 133 on 500 gr FMJ. 640 m/s (about 2100 FPS). I think that 530 maybe is better than 540. According to Vihtavuoris load manual 530 gives highest velocity on 500 gr for 458 win mag, 2149 with 73,4 gr. I don’t know if its best to start there and go up to the desired velocity or use another powder (one slower or one faster) for 458 Lott? Otherwise its easier to find reloading data for the Lott (i.e start with max win mag and go up).

Last edited:
My VV Load Book 4th Edition, discusses all their powders and IIRC, N530 delivers about 10% more energy per grain than N133.I bought both just in case N133 could not provide the energy required for my .405 WCF 400 grain loads, but N133 met and exceeded my requirement (pushing 400 grain .411 Woodleigh to 2100 fps+ and I have not yet used any of the N530.

My VV Load Book 4th Edition, discusses all their powders and IIRC, N530 delivers about 10% more energy per grain than N133.I bought both just in case N133 could not provide the energy required for my .405 WCF 400 grain loads, but N133 met and exceeded my requirement (pushing 400 grain .411 Woodleigh to 2100 fps+ and I have not yet used any of the N530.
Does your book discuss pressures? VV online data is devoid of pressures but very conservative by comparison to other data and stated velocities.

Forrest,
Discuss pressures and measuring systems, yes, but no mention of the pressure of each separate load, just the maximum for each cartridge and that was not exceeded.
For each caliber, the maximum pressure is listed.
As in most good reloading manuals, the .45-70 load data mentions the limits of the early rifles and the current rifles. I never have seen pressure listed for each load level.

In my limited experience using the Pressure Test II system , VV N133 always always generates 10,000 psi to 12,000 psi less peak pressure than other powders at the same muzzle velocities. Two of my loading mentors told me the same thing and it holds true for all my loads that have been tested for pressure.

PS I have the Version 1 and Version 4 hardback manuals and a paperback manual from 2006.

I have personally used VV 133 (75 gr)and VV135 (77 gr) with Peregrine 515 gr copper monolithic solids to get 2190 fps with no pressure signs. Peregrine manufacturer gave me a load with VV530 as well that they have chrono'd at 2270 fps. I personally would rather avoid that level of recoil. I have also used reloads with Somchem S321 which achieved higher velocity (2345 fps with 515 gr solids) but is faster than all the VV powders. I also had loads with 321 for 450 gr and 480 gr solids in win mag cases but that wouldn't help. I will be loading VV 530 in my next set of ammo. You gotta use what you can get !

I have personally used VV 133 (75 gr)and VV135 (77 gr) with Peregrine 515 gr copper monolithic solids to get 2190 fps with no pressure signs. Peregrine manufacturer gave me a load with VV530 as well that they have chrono'd at 2270 fps. I personally would rather avoid that level of recoil. I have also used reloads with Somchem S321 which achieved higher velocity (2345 fps with 515 gr solids) but is faster than all the VV powders. I also had loads with 321 for 450 gr and 480 gr solids in win mag cases but that wouldn't help. I will be loading VV 530 in my next set of ammo. You gotta use what you can get !

Hi Nhoro,
Just Information.
I to have also been loading my Lott with N530, Just received confirmation that VV will be discontinue N530, yet no stipulated date when they will cease production, stock up on what you can get your hands on…

With shortage of Norma Powder I have played around with N540 and I am impressed its a bit hotter than 203B where I need 82.5gr of powder in Norma 203B.
N540 does it with 80gr of powder giving less compression in the case.

Please note that I have a CZ550 and it has a long magazine and I seat the bullets long for total cartridge length of 94-94.5mm with the 203B and N540.
So N540 should work if you short on Norma 203B its just a bit faster.

Hi Nhoro,
Just Information.
I to have also been loading my Lott with N530, Just received confirmation that VV will be discontinue N530, yet no stipulated date when they will cease production, stock up on what you can get your hands on…
Thanks that is a bit sad as I think it was a better powder for the Lott but that said, I have good loads with 133 and 135 so no big problem. Surely they will replace it with something similar or they will have a gap in their products.

Vithavuouris 500-series gives higher velocity than their 100-series. I have 540 at home and have hade great results with it with my other calibers. Normas load data for 500 gr is about 2090 fps with 201. Its a lot slower than Hornadys spec 2300. I think that 540 could work well with 400 gr.

I have Gordon Reloadning Tool, but I don’t feel I can trust that because its a straight wall case. Do anyone of you i use that or Quick load for 458 Lott?

I used 71 gr 133 on 500 gr FMJ. 640 m/s (about 2100 FPS). I think that 530 maybe is better than 540. According to Vihtavuoris load manual 530 gives highest velocity on 500 gr for 458 win mag, 2149 with 73,4 gr. I don’t know if its best to start there and go up to the desired velocity or use another powder (one slower or one faster) for 458 Lott? Otherwise its easier to find reloading data for the Lott (i.e start with max win mag and go up).
Gordons reloading tool is very conservative for the lott and Win Mag. But I submitted measured data through their app and I saw a change in the powders that I had submitted. I was working up loads with a chrony and so sent them that data and they sued it to improve their algorithms I guess.

GRT predicts considerably higher velocity (130-170 fps) It also predicts unsafe pressures but my primers are nicely rounded and no pressure signs. In fact factory ammo shows far more pressure signs. Quickload predicts a slightly lower pressure and velocity but is still saying these loads are on the edge. I think tht they simply dont have much data on these big bores and so choose to be conservative.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glucoslime

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.