458 Lott and 321 powder

Julian Brookstein

Reaction score
I recently bought some Norma 550Gr FMJ rounds. Claimed velocity is 2100fps. I put a box through the chrono yesterday and the highest i got was 2044 and the lowest was 1950. I am not happy with such a variance from one box of ammo and am definitely not happy with anything under 2000fps which two thirds of the box was. I am thinking to pull the heads of the rest of the Norma ammo and change powder to 321 to try and get the velocity up. Can anyone help with how much powder to use? Or can anyone tell me if this is even worth doing? Any help much appreciated.

I have since learnt that Somchem do not recomend S321 for lott, only S335. Anyone know how much 335 to use to get the 550Gr FMJ to 2100fps and up?

Go past Safari and Outdoor PTA if you can and discuss with Oom Kassie he will be your best source of knowledge .

Here is SomChem's Data on S 335: http://www.somchemreload.com/search?c=8&f=131. I looks like a Starting load of 75 Grains gives you 2150fps using an A-square case (not sure where you'd get those since A-square is out of business) and a W-W Mag primer. Is SomChem the only smokeless powder available in South Africa?

Also, was it a Norma FMJ or a solid? I know that in places other than the U.S., a solid IS a FMJ but here, one is an FMJ and the other is a turned bronze solid. The data will be different for a bronze/copper solid because the extra length takes up more space in the case and the stiffness of the material boosts pressure.

Julian did you come right ? I have been playing around with a similar problem-515 gr Pergrine solid. S321 is the best powder for me but I cant get any Somchem powders at the moment-2345 fps. I was loading my round and the guy I load with had success with Vihtavuori VV550 and the 550 gr Woodleigh so maybe give him a call. I am trying Vihtavuori N133, 135 at the range this weekend, that is what I can get in Harare. I also understand VV530 is good. But I am dealing with copper monolithics which like a faster powder. IMR 4895 is supposed to be the donkeys danglies for Lott. You can PM me and I will share the loads I have tested and the velocities and also I can put you in touch with the reloader (I am sure that you know him, you are in Zim, am I correct ?)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maximo5631

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,