458 express

F.L.A.S.H

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hi all

I would just like to know if there is anyone who shoots this rifle or is there anyone who could give me a little detail about it

From what i have read and spoken to people about i hear it is cheeper to shoot that the 458lott, it has a faster MV and has less recoil than any of the 458s

Thanx in advance
F.L.A.S.H

Theres no such rifle that can spit a bullet out at 'X' velocity and have 'Y' weight and kick less than any other caliber. A gent long ago said that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

I have 3 different 450 Nitro Express rifles (2 are 450 3 1/4 and a 500/450)that all send a 500 grain bullet downrange at 2100 fps and they all kick the same IF the weight of the rifles are the same. The percieved recoil is less when the rifle fits you better though.

I hope this helps.

Here's a link that I found explaining the 458 Express.

458 Express

It tells that it's the basic 458 Mag shell streached out to 3" instead of the normal 2 1/2" filled with more powder. That means it's capable of tossing a bullet out faster. It'll cost more to fill up that cartridge too.

Thanks for the reply AkMike,
That website is where i read most of what i know
i understand the princaple behind the recoil but dont understand how on the site they claim less recoil,
And according to them it is cheeper to shoot because its brass is cheeper, i know it takes more powder than the 458 lott but will that little make such a huge difference in price

Im not arguing with you as i dont have any grounds to (im a noob when it comes to things like this) im just asking questions relating to what that website says

Just reason it out! Bigger case, more powder, same sized slug = Faster.

That case is just a streached out Lott same as the Lott is the streached out 458WM.

And also remember that that link is an advertizement meant to sell you on the latest and greatest "Magnum of the Month".
And who benefits if they sell you a rifle?.... (Them)

Ok ya fair enough, dumb moment from me
The cartrige does look nice, think i will get myself one soon

Personally I'd look for a caliber that is easier to find and reload. Just a regular old 458 WM is a good rifle for big brown fuzzy critters around here. The 375 H&H is another classic that is available everywhere.

You see i live in South Africa, and wors still in port elizabeth where non of the 458s components are redily available, so it doesent really matter which i choos its going to be the same amount of effort to shoot them all, i just like the specs on the Express more than the others but if i have to choose between the lott and winmag i will choose the lott

I phoned around yesterday, and can get a new cz 550 bored to Express for R15500 which is just over $2000, and a cz 550 375H&H for R13500, these are the best prices i have found by far

If the CZ will reliably feed that long cartridge , that sounds like a good deal then. I have one in a 9.3X62 and like it alot.
By the way you talk you must have a "bit" of trouble finding reloading materials huh?

AkMike,

I would guess you are right about a "bit" as its my understanding that handloading is basically illegal in RSA, unless one jumps thru LOTS of hoops. Gun control in RSA is much stricter than here in the US, and getting worse unfortunately. I too have a CZ 9.3x62 which functions perfectly, used it in Namibia and using it next year in Zim. I also have the big CZ action in .404 Jeff. In that situation the action is almost too big for the little old .404 so it should work fine for the longer .458's.

I said the "bit" with tongue in cheek knowing what problems that they have in RSA. ;)

With you user name in mind, are you from Ukraine? I'm headed there in 2 weeks for a month or so. Possibly I'll get a little hunting in during that time near Komenka.

Not me. Last name is German/Dutch.

Ok there's a city there on the Crimean Penn. called Stevastopol. So I wondered.

Mike, its not difficult to find reloading equipment for everyday calibres, but it sure isent as easy as in America. its a little more difficult to find reloading equipment for the calibres people dont shoot alot, so mostly your bigger one, so that means i will probably have to have dies made for the express but its ok, because everything for the calibre is done locally, the brass is manufactured hear by one of our local amunition manufacturers, so its cheeper than imported brass, and the powder that all the tests have been conducted with is also a South African product, so in general (not 100% sure) it should be cheeper to load the express than any of the others

Ses, its not anywhere near illegal, anyone who has got a riflr license can reload, the trouble in south africa is getting the rifle license, you apply and can sometimes wait over a year for it to be approved

I know that there are some really good Monolithic bullets made in SA. In that way you're lucky! Those things will tear a hole in a tank I think. Quite the DG bullet I hear.

Hi F.L.A.S.H

I might be jumping on this one a bit late?

Will you be guiding some DG hunts?

If so I can understand why you would like to have a 458 and up.

Should you be looking for a calibre that will take down anything with the correct shot placement you need not look further than a 375 H&H it is in my opinion one of the most versatile calibres in the world you can effectively hunt anything from Steinbuck to elephant with it.

It is far more important to be able to use your rifle effectively than it is to make a big hole in something even though both might be necessary at time but if you don’t intend on hunting DG on a regular basis safe yourself a lot of trouble and get a 375 H&H.

If you are really lucky you might be able to find yourself a 318 which is another great calibre.:wink2:

Just my opinion.

Best Regards
Louis van Bergen

Hi louis

Thanks for the reply,

I have sent you a PM

Regards
David Marais

Hi David

Returned you pm hope it helps?

Best Regards
Louis van Bergen

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FreemanHar

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you