Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Safari Club International, Serbia
Hunted
Ex YU, Namibia, Sweden, SA
Guys,
I hope that somebody who is experienced with .454 Casull revolver can advice me about bullet selection;
I’m looking for the toughest soft point bullets, preferably 300 grainers which can secure deep penetration in 200-400 pound game (wild boar and elk). Any ideas, suggestion?
Cheers,
Serbian Hunter

... I did a lot of Hand gun silhouette & there were very few 454 casulls around basically because it was way more gun than what you needed! I have only shot a couple but I do know a few guys that do have them & use them for hunting. They use Hornady hp-xtp bullets in 300 gr or nozler partitions in 300 gr. These guys have killed several Russian Boars & Deer & said they really throw the animal for a loop!!

Barnes makes a excellent XPB bullet for pistols it's 250 grains...it's basically a X-bullet for handguns. I also see Hornady offers a hollow point 230 grain XTP bullet. Sierra makes a 230 grain jacketed hollow point. I really didn't see anything else available from the major ammo companies. Elk are going to need big bullets.

Speer 300 grain Uni-core soft point. Haven't used it on game yet, but they have a good reputation and look good in water jug tests.

Casull bullets

IMG_1232.jpg

Tough 300gr bullets for the 454 to hunt game that`s 200 to 400lb.s: 1) 300gr XTP Mag with single cannalure 2) 300gr or 325gr Swift A-Frame partition bullet ( I used the 280gr 44cal A-Frame with great effect on two 300lb boar) 3) 300gr Nolser Partition if you can find them as they have been discontinued. 4) Speer 300gr Uni-Core.

The two pictures show the same recovered 300gr XTP-MAG fired from my 454 Casull. The boar weighed 325lbs. and was shot broadside at 40yds. on the right side. The bullet was under the skin of the left side.

Casull bullets

real 325lb boar & fa 454 (2).jpg

This is a better picture of the 325lb. boar that I shot with my Freedom Arms 454 Casull using Hornady factory ammo thats loaded with their 300gr XTP-MAG bullet. The recoverd bullet is shown in the above post.....

I know you asked for an expanding bullet, but a good hard cast lead bullet will work very well for you. Expansion is a bonus, penetration is a requirement. A properly shaped 45 caliber bullet cuts a good wound channel whether it expands or not.

The Barnes bullets with the large HP have worked very well for me. Also on deer. Push them fast and they work even better.

used to have a casull and took it to zambia once, but only used it to finish an eland off. the factory 300grn flat nose jacketed soft point went through the skull , through the spine and continued the length of the neck into the chest. when we found the bullet it had not deformed and only had scratches and marks on the exposed lead. i was impressed at the penetration and how it didnt deform at all, maybe it was one of those one off weird things bullets do, as that was the only time we tried it.

I have shot the 454 and now hunt with the S&W 500. I second the thoughts about the Hornady factory rounds in 300 gr. Very good for these big-bore hand cannons.

I have had very good luck with the 300gr Speer Deep Curls, and even the Sierra is more than enough for a big boar. I mostly shoot a 335gr bullet I cast from wheel weights, it is a WFNGC and will penetrate over 42" of wet newsprint with layers of dry magazines every 12", usually no expansion at all, but punches a .45 caliber hole clear through whatever it hits, it will go end to end through a Rocky Mt elk. I tend to keep the velocities below 1500fps.

I'm not saying you need them, but Barnes Buster bullets are about as tough as they get:

Barnes Buster Bullets

In the photo it looks like they have a full metal jacket. They almost do; there is, however, a tiny hollow point on the tip that helps Barnes get around laws in the U.S.A. prohibiting the use of armour piercing bullets in handguns. I've shot them into dirt and rocks and they come out looking scuffed but hardly deformed.

If Hornady, use the XTP MAG bullets rather than the plain XTP.

Serbian hunter, Did you ever find a bullet you liked for your 454????

When one starts at .454", the bullet is preexpanded before fired. Hard cast bullets work well in a Casull and give tremendous expansion. The 300 grain Speer and Hornady XTP will also work well, but I have not noted much expansion. Deer are not too tough around here. The Hunter Supply 357 grain FP is a good choice for penetration.

I used the 260 Freedom Arms bullets on Gemsbok and found the jacket and core had separated.

The Swift A-Frame bullets will not separate and they expand. The Barnes bullets also work well.

The Freedom Arms bullets weren't supposed to separate, but that one did. Regardless, my point being, expansion in a .45 caliber bullet is not as critical as penetration.

I have 4 different revolvers in the 454 Casull and I don't load for it. My favorite ammo for hunting is Buffalo Bore's 360 grain hard cast. It'll take down just about whatever you put it into. I have taken moose with it and hope to hunt my next Cape buffalo with it.
7-A7B20.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
majisman

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross