450 Rigby vs 416 Rigby

@TOBY458, why not just get a 500 Jeff.

I have been using one for many years and it has been so devastatingly effective on the largest of animals(Buff, elephant, Lion, rhino, hippo) that I just can't justify buying any other rifle/cartridge combination. Stopped many a nasty situation and have only ever needed one shot as with correct shot placement it just flattens everything. I have not been able to justify a second shot.

Sure needs differ, I use mine mainly in back up situations. Clients are better off with smaller calibers that they shoot better though(375 H&H, 404 Jeffery or 450 Rigby-458 LOTT if you have to, 458 WM definitely not).

The big 500 may just be the thing.
I like the way you think! I've given that some thought as well, and the rifle I'm looking at is offered in 500 Jeffrey. It's only a 9.5lb rifle though. Seems mighty light for caliber, but I could be wrong. How much does your rifle weigh?
I also like the idea of a 450 because reloading components are cheaper and more easily obtainable.

Toby, This is the exact same gun your asking about.
Except, this is mine in .450 Rigby.
I can say that I am vey happy with the .450 Rigby.

Just for fun, I just had a quick look at the Norma web/app and compared the trajectory of the .416 rig loaded with 400 gr projectile and the .450 Rig loaded with the 500 gr projectile and with both sighted in at 200 yards the drop to 300 yards has about a hairs width difference.
Your choice.

P1020256.jpg
P1020243.jpg
P1020277.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Toby, This is the exact same gun your asking about.
Except, this is mine in .450 Rigby.
I can say that I am vey happy with the .450 Rigby.

Just for fun, I just had a quick look at the Norma web/app and compared the trajectory of the .416 rig loaded with 400 gr projectile and the .450 Rig loaded with the 500 gr projectile and with both sighted in at 200 yards the drop to 300 yards has about a hairs width difference.
Your choice.
Nice looking rifle! Do you know the exact weight of the rifle, bare with no scope? Did you add extra weight?

At the moment its still about 9.5lb bare, as it came from the factory. Have yet to get around to adding a new softer recoil pad and about 1/2 to 3/4 lb of lead.

I have mostly shot it without the scope, I have the scope sighted and its set up on Q/R rings, but normally leave it off.
The scope and rings would probably add another pound to the bare gun, then you have 4 to 5 rounds on top of that.

At the moment its still about 9.5lb bare, as it came from the factory. Have yet to get around to adding a new softer recoil pad and about 1/2 to 3/4 lb of lead.

I have mostly shot it without the scope, I have the scope sighted and its set up on Q/R rings, but normally leave it off.
The scope and rings would probably add another pound to the bare gun, then you have 4 to 5 rounds on top of that.
What kind of loads are you shooting? Bullet weight, velocity, ect.

Have been loading 550 gr Woodleigh, softs/ solids can't remember the load offhand but Velocity runs at 2300fps .
You can push them faster if you wanted but thats where I stopped, as I don't see the need to go faster.
I would like to try 550 gr Northfork but not had the chance.

Toby: Here you go Found: These are all For the 550 gr
The load i was using is AR2209 but I load between 109 and 108 gr
You could also use Dakota .450 load data as they are essentially the same but the Dakota is loaded to higher velocity/pressure.

AR2209 100 to 106 gr 2160 to 2290 fps
AR2213 107 to 113 gr 2090 to 2210 fps
Reloder 17 99 to 105 gr 2185 to 2315 fps
Reloder 19 109 to 115 gr 2190 to 2310 fps

Have been loading 550 gr Woodleigh, softs/ solids can't remember the load offhand but Velocity runs at 2300fps .
You can push them faster if you wanted but thats where I stopped, as I don't see the need to go faster.
I would like to try 550 gr Northfork but not had the chance.
Have you shot any game with it? I bet the Northforks would be devastating!

Toby: Here you go Found: These are all For the 550 gr
The load i was using is AR2209 but I load between 109 and 108 gr
You could also use Dakota .450 load data as they are essentially the same but the Dakota is loaded to higher velocity/pressure.

AR2209 100 to 106 gr 2160 to 2290 fps
AR2213 107 to 113 gr 2090 to 2210 fps
Reloder 17 99 to 105 gr 2185 to 2315 fps
Reloder 19 109 to 115 gr 2190 to 2310 fps
Thanks for the info!

By the way, you might be surprised how well the .450 Rigby can hold its own out to 300 yards.
Now,Im taking this from the Norma App and we are talking factory loads. So I know some of the velocity on these can be boosted but just for reference.

Sighted in at 200 yards zero the drop out to 300 yards.

.450 Rigby 500 gr Solid. -12.51 inch low
.374 H&H 300 gr Solid. -13.15 inch low
.416 Rigby 400 gr Solid. -14.65 inch low
.500 Jeffery 540 gr Solid -14.73 inch low

Not too bad.

I like the way you think! I've given that some thought as well, and the rifle I'm looking at is offered in 500 Jeffrey. It's only a 9.5lb rifle though. Seems mighty light for caliber, but I could be wrong. How much does your rifle weigh?
I also like the idea of a 450 because reloading components are cheaper and more easily obtainable.

11 lb's unloaded and 11.56 pounds loaded with 4 rounds

Toby458.. hey did you get that 450 Rigby...? I nearly ordered one by Rigby, but tried one first owned by my mate in Darwin, mild load and kicked me too much, but I am medium size, 58 and not muscled up.. so stayed with my 416 Rigby and SSB order.. arrived back in mid 2019... very happy.. upgraded timber.
The big Sakos are great value and great rifles just need some weight added IMO. Any reports from African PHs..??

Toby458.. hey did you get that 450 Rigby...? I nearly ordered one by Rigby, but tried one first owned by my mate in Darwin, mild load and kicked me too much, but I am medium size, 58 and not muscled up.. so stayed with my 416 Rigby and SSB order.. arrived back in mid 2019... very happy.. upgraded timber.
The big Sakos are great value and great rifles just need some weight added IMO. Any reports from African PHs..??

Toby wont remember as it was 3 years ago and he has been through probably 200 rifles since then..........

No sir. I never bought a 450. I did buy a Sako Brown Bear in 416 Rigby though. I kept it only for a short while then sold it. They are nice rifles, but definitely need a better recoil pad in the big calibers. I also didn't care for the 416 Rigby cartridge itself. My goal is only 2350 fps with a 400 grain bullet, so I feel like some of the smaller case 416s are more suited for my needs. For instance the 416 Rem Mag will obtain this velocity with around 77gr of Varget. Whereas the 416 Rigby requires 95 or more grains of several different powders to achieve the same result. To me the more efficient cartridges give me what I need with less recoil and less expensive loading components and ammo.

No sir. I never bought a 450. I did buy a Sako Brown Bear in 416 Rigby though. I kept it only for a short while then sold it. They are nice rifles, but definitely need a better recoil pad in the big calibers. I also didn't care for the 416 Rigby cartridge itself. My goal is only 2350 fps with a 400 grain bullet, so I feel like some of the smaller case 416s are more suited for my needs. For instance the 416 Rem Mag will obtain this velocity with around 77gr of Varget. Whereas the 416 Rigby requires 95 or more grains of several different powders to achieve the same result. To me the more efficient cartridges give me what I need with less recoil and less expensive loading components and ammo.
I think the belted case is a good one for the 416 and the 400, but it gets knocked a lot. But I notice the same thing as you.

If one is planning on hunting a great deal of thick skinned dangerous game ( such as elephants , Cape buffaloes and hippopotamuses ) in dense foliage , then I would highly recommend the .450 Rigby . This applies even more so , for professional hunters or Problem Animal Control officers .

Of course , the .416 Rigby is perfectly adequate for most dangerous game hunting scenarios as well . Even though shot placement must be slightly more critical .

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg