450 Rigby vs 416 Rigby

TOBY458

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
I'm kind of wanting a Sako Brown Bear rifle. I love the way these rifles feel, and point. They have very smooth operation, hold 4 rounds in the magazine, and have excellent iron sights. I also have a Sako Kodiak 375 that I love, so this would be a great companion. So enough about the rifle.
I'm stuck choosing between 416 Rigby and 450 Rigby. I already have a 416 Rem, and a 416 Ruger. BUT, I have always liked the idea of a 416 Rigby. That said, the 450 Rigby is kind of intriguing as well. The 458 diameter isn't as versatile as the 416, but the bullet selection is much greater, and has the capacity to hit much harder, with much more bullet weight. I know the 416 rifles I already own are all I would ever NEED, and not sure I NEED either a 416 or 450 Rigby, but my safe is getting bored and needs a new resident! Thoughts?

One of 416 Rigby and one of 450 Rigby:cool: Because two is better than one:D

I really have no idea why I would accuse you of being a bad influence....:D

Just trying to help make Toby's decision making process simpler:D Beers: Just waiting for him to ask about double's so that I can be a "Proper Bad Influence"

Well now you only have one double. Let me see a well rounded safe need a small double 375 or 9.3. then a small 40 say a 450/400 or 405 win, you have a large 40 covered. Then just need a large big bore 500 or 577 or 600 ought to fill that bill. Cant have your 470 getting lonely:cry:

Well now you only have one double. Let me see a well rounded safe need a small double 375 or 9.3. then a small 40 say a 450/400 or 405 win, you have a large 40 covered. Then just need a large big bore 500 or 577 or 600 ought to fill that bill. Cant have your 470 getting lonely:cry:
Well, I sold the 470, so I have a completely clean slate on the double rifle side! I'm more of a bolt rifle guy, so a 450 or 416 Rigby is on the agenda!

Sell the 416 Rem and the 416 Ruger....then buy the 416 Rigby AND 450 Rigby.
Then you can afford both...just trying to help.

Hard to argue with logic like that! (y)

Hi Toby,
My first question would be to ask what do you want to use it for? That should help you decide.

They are both great calibers but the .416 Rigby should be more flexible. The .416 rem mag and the .416 Ruger will do everything that the .416 Rigby will do although you can load the Rigby to higher velocity (which I'm sure you know).

The .450 Rigby is a real stopping caliber. For a more flexible rifle, you can load .450 rigby with 450 gr projectiles to over 2600fps, or more if you wish.
I have have stuck with the 550 gr projectiles at between 2250 to 2300 fps and am happy with that, although higher velocity is possible, but not needed.

The .450 Rigby loaded with the 450 gr projectile should hit hard and shoot flat enough for most situations.
In the end this is a personal decision.
As someone already said, I do not think it makes sense to go out and buy another .416 unless you perhaps sell one off or simply decide to become a collector of .416 cal rifles.

My Choice if it were me would be to go for the 450 Rigby. If that suits the type go game you after.
But there is no wrong choice.

I you already have a big bore double, I cannot see much use for the 450. When I got my 500 NE, I quietly moved the 458 Lott (very similar performance to the 450 Rigby) to the back of the safe. It's a great rifle in a great caliber, but when I want that horsepower, why would I ever reach for the Lott over the double?

I'd say go with the 416. you already have a few, but that's okay. It has a use and if you like it, you can certainly use it as a nice pair to the double to make that longer shot on a buff or a poke through thick brush when you cannot make out the target with the double.

My 416 Rem shoots too well to sell, and I've already got it on a 4457 to take to Africa in July. The 416 Ruger is a very handy little rifle that I plan to use on hunts that require alot of walking, such as bear hunting in Alaska. Good try though! :)

I you already have a big bore double, I cannot see much use for the 450. When I got my 500 NE, I quietly moved the 458 Lott (very similar performance to the 450 Rigby) to the back of the safe. It's a great rifle in a great caliber, but when I want that horsepower, why would I ever reach for the Lott over the double?

I'd say go with the 416. you already have a few, but that's okay. It has a use and if you like it, you can certainly use it as a nice pair to the double to make that longer shot on a buff or a poke through thick brush when you cannot make out the target with the double.
I sold the double due to the fact that I'm much more accustomed to bolt rifles, and would never have a use for a double outside of Africa. I also like the ability to have a scope that removes and replaces quickly. I never liked the looks of a scope on a double, but I suppose an RMR sight would be ok.

MMmm...if you look back he has sold his double.....so as got other strange types of .416 calibres i agree and you should sell them and get the proper .416...ie the Rigby and also the .450 to pair them ;)......but if you insist on keeping those ones then go for the .450 rigby

Hi Toby,
My first question would be to ask what do you want to use it for? That should help you decide.

They are both great calibers but the .416 Rigby should be more flexible. The .416 rem mag and the .416 Ruger will do everything that the .416 Rigby will do although you can load the Rigby to higher velocity (which I'm sure you know).

The .450 Rigby is a real stopping caliber. For a more flexible rifle, you can load .450 rigby with 450 gr projectiles to over 2600fps, or more if you wish.
I have have stuck with the 550 gr projectiles at between 2250 to 2300 fps and am happy with that, although higher velocity is possible, but not needed.

The .450 Rigby loaded with the 450 gr projectile should hit hard and shoot flat enough for most situations.
In the end this is a personal decision.
As someone already said, I do not think it makes sense to go out and buy another .416 unless you perhaps sell one off or simply decide to become a collector of .416 cal rifles.

My Choice if it were me would be to go for the 450 Rigby. If that suits the type go game you after.
But there is no wrong choice.
What you said about the 450 is definitely why I'm considering it. The rifle I'm looking at only weighs 9.5lbs, so I just wonder what the recoil would be like with heavy loads. I've had a few 458 win mag rifles in the past, and they hit you pretty hard. I can only imagine the 450 would be much more of the same. I honestly like the idea of the 416 Rigby better, but I just don't see the need for 3 rifles in the same caliber. And I also don't really need a "stopping rifle" any more than any other hunter needs when a PH is present. So, as you can see using logic never works! Haha!

Toby, I remember that from some other posts that you have been interested in the 450 Rigby for some time.
I can say that my .450 Rigby in the same Sako is not a comfortable rifle to shoot. If you do go ahead there are two simple things you need to consider doing. One is to change the rock hard recoil pad and the second is to add a little weight to the rifle. After that your good to go.

Good luck deciding.. But that half the fun..

Toby, I remember that from some other posts that you have been interested in the 450 Rigby for some time.
I can say that my .450 Rigby in the same Sako is not a comfortable rifle to shoot. If you do go ahead there are two simple things you need to consider doing. One is to change the rock hard recoil pad and the second is to add a little weight to the rifle. After that your good to go.

Good luck deciding.. But that half the fun..
Yea, that's what i figured. I would think 11lbs would be more friendly, but then you're getting mighty heavy to carry around. And if you added a scope it would definitely be overweight. I bet 9.5lbs would be perfect for a 416 though.

You not going to be shooting strings with the .450, its going to be carried more than it is shot. So if it were mine 11 lb would be too heavy.
I would say add about one pound so its at 10.5 lb bare. Although I personally I would settle on 10lb bare so about 10.5 loaded.
If you take it to 11 lb then fill the mag full of .450 rounds your getting up there. I would first change the recoil pad then go out and shoot it with a full mag then see how it goes. Its easy to add more lead into the stock.

Yes I agree 9.5 lb bare would be about right for a .416. But to each his own.

I have both calibers, it looks like you have the 416 covered so I would go with the 450 just remember even at 10 lbs it’s not a bench rifle, do a quick sight in then off the sticks for the rest.

My 416 Rem shoots too well to sell, and I've already got it on a 4457 to take to Africa in July. The 416 Ruger is a very handy little rifle that I plan to use on hunts that require alot of walking, such as bear hunting in Alaska. Good try though! :)
Guns are like tools to me. If you have a need for a particular tool, you get it. I work on commercial boilers and have several tools that you would not find in a typical tool box. Likewise, I read all these posts of people who hunt much more than I do and as a result have many more gun to fill their particular needs. And that doesn't even include the PH's who job it is to keep a client safe, and the tools in their toolbox.

So the question really is...do you NEED a new tool for your toolbox, or do you just want one. This is the question that the Department of Finance would be asking me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Longrange33

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 29 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross