Boyd Brooks

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
OFAH, North American Hunt Club
Hunted
Canada, RSA
I was hoping that someone might have load data for 400gr bullets in a 450 Marlin case. I an building a bolt action rifle and was hoping to get away from the lever gun ammo in 325 and 350 grain.

sgt_zim

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, Houston Safari Club Foundation, NWTF
Hunted
Texas, Louisiana
Might just as well go for a 458 Win Mag or Lott as to build a 450M from scratch.

Case dimensions for 450M and 458 WM are really close, except obviously length. The limiting factor on 450M is going to be case length/capacity. And unless you're going to Africa after DG, even the 45-70 loaded up with some Beartooth Piledriver 525 gr or PD junior 425 gr at 1600-1700 fps will easily dispatch anything in North America. Getting to 1900 fps with something like a 525 doesn't improve ballistics significantly over 1625 or so, and it certainly doesn't improve lethality on the thin-skinned game we have here.

Plus, since Marlington doesn't make the 450M anymore, and they never sold a bunch of them, brass will be a lot harder to come by than either of the magnum 458s.

450M is a fine cartridge for what it was designed for, but it sure seems like you're trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

ChrisG

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
NAHC, NRA, Rocky Mtn. Elk Foundation.
Hunted
USA, Canada
This is from Hodgdon's website:

upload_2018-12-5_7-55-35.png

AZDAVE

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa, Alaska,lower 48
I have a ruger 77 custom in 450 Marlin. Since it is on a bolt action and I don't have to worry about a levergun pressure requirements I started with the max loads on the Hogdon web site and worked slowly up. You can also look at 458 American loads. The 458 Armeican is a 2 in case if my memory serves me and the 450 marlin is 2.1 in. They have about the same case capacity. I will have to look at my notes for the loads I found that gave best accuracy and what the speed was with them.

It is a fun short action thumper. I say if it floats your boat go for it. I enjoy mine

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FlorrieVar

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Tally-Ho Hunting Safaris wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.
Lkhntr wrote on Warpig602's profile.
On the vx6 2-12 what does the zl2 stand for?

Thanks, Oliver
bowjijohn wrote on AfricaHunting.com's profile.
Many thanks for re formatting my article for the forum

I served my time in both the bush and during the bush war

I hope it did it justice

Education is where it is at - without it the wild places are history

You - sir - are well placed to make a difference

J