450 Majoor, 460 Short A Square, 450 Vincent Short anyone?

Converse,
your assumption that a lighter rifle will kick more is not entirely correct.
Weight is not the ONLY contributing factor to recoil.

The 458 B&M has less felt recoil in a 7 1/2lb rifle than my full sized, 24" barrelled, 9 1/2lb CZ Lott !

The 50 B&M has maybe slightly less, or equal to, the recoil of full power loads in the same 458 CZ Lott.(and that 50 B&M is 4" shorter and nearly 2lbs lighter than my Cz !!!).

The 500 M.D.M, in an 8 1/2 lb rifle, is probably not for the uninitiated, but for anyone with exposure to big bore rifles, it is manageable and not difficult to get accustomed to.

The way these rifles are being put together makes them very shootable.

I hope to have my own 500 M.D.M (with 20" barrel) for next years hunting season and have a client hunter attending bringing both the 458 and 50 B&M's for another run on our buffalo, testing more bullets.

As far as compactness (in big bores) is concerned, these rifles are IT !

Cheers,
Paul.
I'm going to revive this one from the dead. Never pictured myself as a grave robber, more like a mortician who helps his friends with their mishaps shooting hand canons.

""your assumption that a lighter rifle will kick more is not entirely correct.
Weight is not the ONLY contributing factor to recoil.""

Paul, weight is not the only contributing factor to recoil but it is an essential one.
There are four fundamental requirements to calculate recoil but before I get into that, the stock configuration that suits a shooter only serves to diminish FELT recoil. The ACTUAL recoil doesn't change with a particular charge. It's pure physics. Stock configuration helps you make a choice of rifle or state a preference, that's all. I understand that felt recoil is an important factor but it isn't part of any scientific equation, it's pure personal fit and preference.

The requirements to calculate recoil are as follows:
1) the weight of the powder charge, RAW weight, not its burning rate because the recoil impulse is different between a fast burning powder and a slow burning one but the pounds of recoil are the same although the FELT recoil isn't the same. (slower burning powder equals less sharp)
2) the weight of the bullet. (heavier equals more recoil)
3) the speed of the bullet (faster equals more recoil)
4) THE WEIGHT OF THE FIREARM. (lighter equals more recoil)

Please don't take my word for this, verify for yourself.

A lighter rifle will generate more recoil with identical elements (apples to apples comparison) than a heavier rifle. This is rock solid, iron clad physics. The difference per pound of rifle is approximately 4 pounds of recoil give or take depending on the charge for large magnums. A bit less for lighter calibers.

All things being equal, (they rarely are but in the maths and physics world they absolutely are in proper comparisons ) a lighter rifle will ALWAYS have more actual recoil than a heavier one.

Paul

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ekaterina Lobach North Fork Bullets

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!