450 Ackley Magnum Owner

ABIGFOOTZ

AH member
Reaction score
New to forum and really enjoy browsing and stories.Have a Custom made 450 Ackley Magnum built on a P-17.

Me to @ABIGFOOTZ 450 Ackley built on a Weatherby.

Not saying we don't believe you, but we'd appreciate pictures. It's ah a requirement of ah membership or something. Yeah that's it! So how about helping us addicts...I mean fellow enthusiasts out?

Not saying we don't believe you, but we'd appreciate pictures. It's ah a requirement of ah membership or something. Yeah that's it! So how about helping us addicts...I mean fellow enthusiasts out?
Believe it now.Its just a safe queen now.
024.JPG
023.JPG
009.JPG
001.JPG

The man spent alot to have the rifle built I presume in Spokane Wa. as his widow brought it to a pawn shop there.It had never been fired at that time.My time with rifle has been test firing and testing feeding reliability with 500 gr. soft point and 400 grain soft points.Solids feed perfectly but had to do a minor polishing on feed ramp for soft nose and now they feed reliably.The large exposed lead on soft nose seemed to be a little grabby.At 14 Lbs with a brake it is easy to shoot although havn't shot full house loads yet.Everything I have shot for using a red dot has been accurate.

This rifle is very nice indeed. A very nice find! Thanks for sharing and welcome to the mad house.

At 14 lbs with a brake it should be relatively easy for recoil. I’d be tempted to cut the brake off though- but that’s me. That is a very nice group BTW! The size and shape of the group clearly shows the rifle will shoot.

The only caveat would be to approach Ackley load data cautiously. IMO - Might be best to use Lott data and for certain start low and work up to realistic velocities using a chronograph. Much of the original published data by Ackley is always suspect! He developed loads for max velocity for marketing purposes and didn’t use pressure equipment. Usually Ackley data is considered overly optimistic :)

At 14 lbs with a brake it should be relatively easy for recoil. I’d be tempted to cut the brake off though- but that’s me. That is a very nice group BTW! The size and shape of the group clearly shows the rifle will shoot.

The only caveat would be to approach Ackley load data cautiously. IMO - Might be best to use Lott data and for certain start low and work up to realistic velocities using a chronograph. Much of the original published data by Ackley is always suspect! He developed loads for max velocity for marketing purposes and didn’t use pressure equipment. Usually Ackley data is considered overly optimistic :)
The brake is removable with a cap protector.I totally agree with your approach to reloading.I started at Lott minimum and left it at 70 grains 4895 for testing.One nice feature you can use in a pinch which probably would never occur is it will shoot 458 Lott & 458 Win.Whenever I reload I start at minimum and work up watching for pressure signs.I have always like to get most out of a cartridge but usually not Maximum and never shoot someone else reloads.Just pull bullets and start over.I will be selling or trading this rifle in the near future and will probably list it in the Deals.

Looks like the smith did a good job of milling and cleaning up that M1917 (American Enfield)- those make excellent large caliber bolt rifles if properly done. Good plan for loading starting with the Lott data.

Wow 14lbs...bout min 4lbs too heavy for me... :E Big Grin: :D Beers:
The stock is weighted so a person could take a lot of that weight out.The stock alone is about 7 Lbs.I shoot a Winchester 52C with a Unertl scope and it is at 13# plus.Only shoot standing occasionally.They have a 200 yard prone shoot for 22's in Kalispell but covid has that pretty well screwed up for now.Have a Great Day

It looks to be a very good DG rifle- sans the stock. In addition to milling the extra "stuff" off the action, the smith added both a barrel mounted sling swivel and the extra recoil lug for mounting in a wood stock. If it were mine I'd cut the brake off at the end of the threads and rebate the crown. Then add a banded front sight and a simple rear sight. And find a decent wood stock and at least full length glass bed it. Not sure about the sticky feed issue with exposed lead roundnose bullets. Could be the follower spring is a little strong and/or the rails a little tight?? But for sure much better that way than the opposite where the cartridges want to jump out early or porpoise at an odd angle :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
majisman

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross