Heym 88

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
DSC
Hunted
US
Hey guys...I'm planning my safari for 2014 for buffalo and I keep reading that my soon to be Heym 88 in 450/400 is too light for buff. I myself a beginner doesn't agree with this. I realize there are better buff calibers out there of course...but I can just imagine throughout the history of this caliber, that it has taken an a@$# of buffalo and still continues to do so. What do you folks with experience think?

The 450/400 is not too light for buff, period. A 400 grain bullet at typical NE velocity is powerful medicine. Hornady seems to be the main producer of this ammo now, and their published velocity is 100 fps less than the typical 2150 fps in many NE loads, but I find it hard to believe that this 100 fps reduction means much to the target.

Geez I hope it's not too light. If it is I guess the 416 Rigby, 416 Rem, 404 Jeffery, and 375H&H are despite what history would say to the contrary, also too light.

Your double rifle with your ammo will serve you just fine...

Provided you do your part and make a good shot..

It is all about shot placement...

I know John Taylor occasionally added a little blarney to his writings but he did have a lot of experience with many different calibers, and he had this to say about the 450/400..."I've done a lot of shooting with the 400...and I would not hesitate to follow any dangerous animal into any sort of cover if armed with a double 400. Enough said.

375 HH has served me well with buffalo, so 450/400 just can t be too light.

Thanks guys....you guys have reinforced what I knew all the time. The reason why I picked the 450/400 was one...it's a definite classic..two..in a 10 pound rifle recoil should be somewhere around a 9 pound 375 H&H which I'm used too. Easier to practice with which will make me a better shooter. Thanks for the replies..greatly appreciated!

I know John Taylor occasionally added a little blarney to his writings but he did have a lot of experience with many different calibers, and he had this to say about the 450/400..."I've done a lot of shooting with the 400...and I would not hesitate to follow any dangerous animal into any sort of cover if armed with a double 400. Enough said.

This sums it up perfectly!! Eish!! we have some smart cookies on this forum hey?!

Perfect gun, excellent choice.

from what i have seen of that calibre in action its truly an EXCELLENT calibre for buffalo , in fact its the one i recommend for a guy buying a double who will kill more buffalo than elephant - i have had many succesful buffalo hunts guiding folks with heym 450/400 rifles - one thing i would consider would be to mount an RMR on the gun , comes off easily , doesnt change the lines too much but also ensures that you own 150 yards which is a stretch with express sights - hope that this helps your qualms -

Its about time you started posting again Ivan! Since you're on, if a young person was preparing for an elephant hunt and could choose between a .375 H&H and a 450/400 - which would you recommend?

Thanks guys for all the support in answering my question. It's nice to know that I made the right decision. It's taking me almost 8 months to pay for this rifle. I just love it!. It fits like a glove. Ivan..I am honored that you took the the time to answer a beginners post. I appreciate that very very much. This why I love this site so much. No BS..just experienced people helping out us rookies. By the way Ivan..Iv'e been in contact with Chifuti safaris for this hunt. Getting my coins together as we speak. Take care.

Its about time you started posting again Ivan! Since you're on, if a young person was preparing for an elephant hunt and could choose between a .375 H&H and a 450/400 - which would you recommend?

shakey , when you say young , how young are we talking , if we are talking a small person that will be recoils sensitive then 100% i would go with a well fitted 375 with a muzzle brake thats removable - that way practice will be pleasant and enjoyable and on the front line when actually hunting the adrenaline will take care of the recoil ...the 450/400 has more recoil than a 375.

sorry for my lack of posts its been a very busy season , i have hunted almost 230 days this year !

shakey , when you say young , how young are we talking , if we are talking a small person that will be recoils sensitive then 100% i would go with a well fitted 375 with a muzzle brake thats removable - that way practice will be pleasant and enjoyable and on the front line when actually hunting the adrenaline will take care of the recoil ...the 450/400 has more recoil than a 375.

sorry for my lack of posts its been a very busy season , i have hunted almost 230 days this year !

Heym 88 - sorry for jumping in on your post. I should have started a new one. Thought I could catch Ivan while he was on ....

Ivan - Just joking about the lack of posts. Keep doing what you're doing. Absolutely love watching your shows. As recently as 2010 I had no interest in elephant hunting - then I watched you and Craig Boddington and everything changed. Now I'm taking my son for his first crack at one (2014).

He's 13 now, but in the last 2 months he's passed me in height. I don't believe he'll be a small person in 2014. He shot both the .375 bolt and a 450/400 DR this past weekend and seems to handle both well. We'll continue practicing for the next 1-1/2 years and he'll carry whichever one he's most comfortable with.

The question was more about which of the two calibers is better for elephant because we're not buying another gun for this trip. The .375 H&H has more energy, but the 450/400 has more momentum. Both have been effective for a long time, but which is better for elephant (or buffalo for that matter)

450\400 is a excellent calibre.i use my 450\400 for everything as back ups. i have a vintage english make in Charles Lancaster from 1922.my rifle works every week and have never let me down, recoil is pleasant,not that much as the 470 or 450 NE. I have shot some ellephant and buffs with it this season,allso use it on leopard and lion.just use new handloaded ammo that can do the job.
as Ivan stated ,with a RMR you can get more advandage in distance and more presice shot placements.the 400 grain bullet is a bit better than the 375 for me when it comes to stopping a buff.
enjoy your double.

I took a buffalo with it's ballistic twin, 404Jeffery firing a 400 gr bullet at 2180fps. It worked just fine. I wouldn't have any qualms about the 450/400

Thanks guys...I looked at RMR today but need to know what mount it takes for the heym.

No 450/400 is one of the best!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graciehayward01

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg