Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
NAHC, NRA, Rocky Mtn. Elk Foundation.
Hunted
USA, Canada
Hi Everyone,

I keep looking at a Ruger No.1 in .450/400, but I already have a .375 H&H. On paper, the ballistics of the .450/400 show it to be about the same as the .375. The question I have is, does this round have any significant increase in it's effect on game over a .375 H&H due to its diameter and weight or would I be better off just going with something .416 or .458 to gain a significant jump in effectiveness? The fact of the matter is, I don't want to end up with 2 rifles to feed two different kinds of ammunition, if both of them pretty much have the same capability. I like to keep things simple and I don't need any more unnecessary guns. I even got rid of one of my .375 H&Hs :). Thanks

If you have the .375 H&H already i would go up to the .416 and if you want even more go up to the .458
it seems like you already answered yourself with your question.....

375 H&H

450-400 NE

interesting to look at

Attachments

• 388-416-Remington-Magnum-Ballistics1.jpg
    388-416-Remington-Magnum-Ballistics1.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 889
  • 379-450-400-Nitro-Express-Ballistics.jpg
    379-450-400-Nitro-Express-Ballistics.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 681
  • 364-375-HH-Magnum-Ballistics.jpg
    364-375-HH-Magnum-Ballistics.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 662
If you have the .375 H&H already i would go up to the .416 and if you want even more go up to the .458
it seems like you already answered yourself with your question.....

Thanks. My question was whether a .450/400 had a drastically bigger effect on game despite what it's paper ballistics indicate. From everything I have heard, the .40's and up are game changers when hunting bigger game but I rarely hear the .450/400 mentioned in there. I wanted to hear from people who had used both or seen both used if the .450/400 was a drastically more effective round due to its weight and slight diameter increase or if the paper ballistics tell the whole story and I should look to something bigger. Sometimes, what the math adds up to doesn't tell the whole story.

It seems the .40's and up refer to .416's and up and 400 grain bullets at 2,300fps or more. Thank you for your reply.

What did he say???

o_O :E Horrified: "I don't need any more unnecessary guns."...........:E Eek:....are there such a thing?.....:E Head Scratch:...:E Big Grin:
:) I just love the idea of having a couple of really good old faithful rifles that I use all the time as opposed to a safe full of guns that hardly get used and consequently I don't get much practice with. With that in mind, I have probably owned over 30 centerfire rifles in my day but I finally settled on just three... a Remington 788 in .222 Remington, a Ruger M77 in 6.5x55 and a Winchester M70 in .375 H&H. The .450/400 would be my big bore. That would be my 4 gun battery to hunt the smallest of the small to the biggest of the big. But I wanted to know if anyone from experience can say that the .450/400 has a significant increase in game killing power over the .375 H&H. If not, I may have to look into rebarreling a no.1 to .450 or .470 Nitro, which would be an expensive proposition.

I try to save my money for hunting trips, especially my first trip to Africa. 2020 is my goal, but it's hard when your local gun shop keeps getting these ridiculously awesome rifles in that I must then fondel and adore... :mad:

I also love to shoot my rifles and, consequently spend money and time reloading for them, which you can imagine would get expensive if I had 15 rifles... I would NEED at least 200 pieces of brass for each, at least 200 bullets on hand, maybe in different weights, probably 7-10 different powders and at least 1000 primers of each size... and we're not even talking bullet casting stuff yet... You see my predicament.

For the sake of space, sanity and my wallet... I love having a couple of well used rifles that I know all the ins and outs of and can shoot them well and often.

I believe that Red Leg's quote referring to double guns, "a certifiable madness" could probably be used in this case also!

ok @ChrisG we will sort of let you off and just consider you slightly cooked ;) and here you are problem solved

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Ruger-No-Rifle-Boddington-NE/1120736.uts :D Beers:
OOh thats really nice! I now just have to convince my wife to go on a road trip with our infant daughter to Cabelas! the nearest one is only like 9 hours from me! It will be a great educational trip for her! She can learn about all the things that make life on Earth fun... Good optics, hunting and camping gear, and not least of all, quality big game rifles!

OOh thats really nice! I now just have to convince my wife to go on a road trip with our infant daughter to Cabelas! the nearest one is only like 9 hours from me! It will be a great educational trip for her! She can learn about all the things that make life on Earth fun... Good optics, hunting and camping gear, and not least of all, quality big game rifles!
I do that with my 3 yr grand daughter every time I go to see her!!!

Oh wait, it's in Nebraska... I'll just have to figure out a way to make the 15 hour trip with an infant in the car... It would totally be worth it... and when I got there I could be all surprised that they just happen to have a gorgeous no.1 in .450 Nitro! (y)

Oh wait, it's in Nebraska... I'll just have to figure out a way to make the 15 hour trip with an infant in the car... It would totally be worth it... and when I got there I could be all surprised that they just happen to have a gorgeous no.1 in .450 Nitro! (y)

be rude not to ;):D just think of the fun with an infant and understanding wife for 15 hours :E Lol:

IMHO the 375 h&h and 450/400 can't be compared, they are extremely different rifles .

Your 375 is a single shot, so a 450/400 double will be a significantly different rifle suitable for other situations.

Your 375 is a single shot, so a 450/400 double will be a significantly different rifle suitable for other situations.
Hi express,

My .375 is actually a Winchester model 70. I wish I could get a double but that would further prolong my African trip. If I were going to get a double, it would definitely be something in the .450-.470 range. Thanks for the thought though. My LGS has a no. 1 in .450/400 right now that I was considering.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg