Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SouthAfrica
Despite what looks to be a surge in popularity of 450/400 3" and a number of rifles in that calibre coming into South Africa there seems to be little to no ammunition available here. The many outlets I have tried have no brass and only a few have Hornady DGS, no DGX or Woodleighs.
Is it only Hornady that manufactures 450/400 3" brass these days, and are they still doing so? What is the situation like out there?

Do not know ( or care) as I get the same 400 grain Woodie performance from my .405 WCF.
full

Last edited by a moderator:
I did a quick online search and only found very limited quantity of Hornady DGS in 450/400. Big bore ammo is hard to find right now. Good luck,.

Despite what looks to be a surge in popularity of 450/400 3" and a number of rifles in that calibre coming into South Africa there seems to be little to no ammunition available here. The many outlets I have tried have no brass and only a few have Hornady DGS, no DGX or Woodleighs.
Is it only Hornady that manufactures 450/400 3" brass these days, and are they still doing so? What is the situation like out there?
Hopefully Norma will start loading for it soon. I’m a little surprised they haven’t yet

It i
Its only Hornady available in full ammo. I order Woodleigh and Swift A Frame bullets and reload everything now

I have sold many boxes of 450-400 3" and 450 3 1/4" Hornady ammo here in Alaska. If you are in state, PM me as I have several boxes remaining.
Cal

I have sold many boxes of 450-400 3" and 450 3 1/4" Hornady ammo here in Alaska. If you are in state, PM me as I have several boxes remaining.
Cal
Thanks Cal, but I am in Africa so not possible for me.

i found some here:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-05 at 9.24.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-05 at 9.24.33 AM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 82
Now that I don't know. Just posting what I found on the web.

Did you give them a try? I found a place discountgammo.net that claims they have it in stock but I am suspicious.
No I have not.

That is my exact reason for choosing a 470NE rather than a 450/400. There is no point in having a gun if you can’t shoot it. Camdix has Hornady 450/400 3.25”, however I haven’t seen 450/400 3”. You can always ask Johan Kriek to make you some bullets or try Peregrine…

Did you give them a try? I found a place discountgammo.net that claims they have it in stock but I am suspicious.
I looked at them but was extremely suspicious so backed off completely. Beware

There is absolutely no .450/400 ammo for sale in the US right now. I have new barrels for my Kgun coming and I’m scrambling to get some bought on Gunbroker. It is selling for $200-300/box. other than Hornady I am not sure if anyone else is loading it. My custom loader made me two boxes and that was all the brass he had.
I heard a rumor that Hornady is going to really increase ammo production. Who knows. The hoarding sucks as someone like me just needs a few boxes to practice with and hunt not 50 boxes!
Philip

Hornaday and the other manufactures do their bigger safari rounds in a once a year run. Now the .02 question is when will the next run this year happen?

Can anyone recommend a good cast bullet for plinking?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you