Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SouthAfrica
Despite what looks to be a surge in popularity of 450/400 3" and a number of rifles in that calibre coming into South Africa there seems to be little to no ammunition available here. The many outlets I have tried have no brass and only a few have Hornady DGS, no DGX or Woodleighs.
Is it only Hornady that manufactures 450/400 3" brass these days, and are they still doing so? What is the situation like out there?

Do not know ( or care) as I get the same 400 grain Woodie performance from my .405 WCF.
full

Last edited by a moderator:
I did a quick online search and only found very limited quantity of Hornady DGS in 450/400. Big bore ammo is hard to find right now. Good luck,.

Despite what looks to be a surge in popularity of 450/400 3" and a number of rifles in that calibre coming into South Africa there seems to be little to no ammunition available here. The many outlets I have tried have no brass and only a few have Hornady DGS, no DGX or Woodleighs.
Is it only Hornady that manufactures 450/400 3" brass these days, and are they still doing so? What is the situation like out there?
Hopefully Norma will start loading for it soon. I’m a little surprised they haven’t yet

It i
Its only Hornady available in full ammo. I order Woodleigh and Swift A Frame bullets and reload everything now

I have sold many boxes of 450-400 3" and 450 3 1/4" Hornady ammo here in Alaska. If you are in state, PM me as I have several boxes remaining.
Cal

I have sold many boxes of 450-400 3" and 450 3 1/4" Hornady ammo here in Alaska. If you are in state, PM me as I have several boxes remaining.
Cal
Thanks Cal, but I am in Africa so not possible for me.

i found some here:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-05 at 9.24.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-05 at 9.24.33 AM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 82
Now that I don't know. Just posting what I found on the web.

Did you give them a try? I found a place discountgammo.net that claims they have it in stock but I am suspicious.
No I have not.

That is my exact reason for choosing a 470NE rather than a 450/400. There is no point in having a gun if you can’t shoot it. Camdix has Hornady 450/400 3.25”, however I haven’t seen 450/400 3”. You can always ask Johan Kriek to make you some bullets or try Peregrine…

Did you give them a try? I found a place discountgammo.net that claims they have it in stock but I am suspicious.
I looked at them but was extremely suspicious so backed off completely. Beware

There is absolutely no .450/400 ammo for sale in the US right now. I have new barrels for my Kgun coming and I’m scrambling to get some bought on Gunbroker. It is selling for $200-300/box. other than Hornady I am not sure if anyone else is loading it. My custom loader made me two boxes and that was all the brass he had.
I heard a rumor that Hornady is going to really increase ammo production. Who knows. The hoarding sucks as someone like me just needs a few boxes to practice with and hunt not 50 boxes!
Philip

Hornaday and the other manufactures do their bigger safari rounds in a once a year run. Now the .02 question is when will the next run this year happen?

Can anyone recommend a good cast bullet for plinking?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaylaHoola

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!