450/400 3" weight

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hello again all! I had a quick question for you all. My current 450/400 3" weighs in at 8lbs even and while I can handle the recoil it strikes me that might be a tad light. If I had some recoil reducers or weights added to the stock, would that throw it's accuracy and regulation off a cliff, or can I safely add a bit of weight to take some of it's bite out? I really appreciate your insight, and thank you!

Manny R

Silver supporter
AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Dallas Safari Club,NRA
Hunted
Alaska, Yukon,BC,Argentina, Limpopo, SA
I had mercury recoil reducers put into my Heym 500 NE. It has cut down the recoil by about 25%. I would recommend having a recoil reducer installed .

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I had mercury recoil reducers put into my Heym 500 NE. It has cut down the recoil by about 25%. I would recommend having a recoil reducer installed .
Thank you for the information! Did it alter the rifles accuracy or regulation at all? I wasn't sure if changes to the stock would also change how it shot.

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Zambia, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
Normally usually most of the time :unsure: adding a recoil reducer to the stock will not affect regulation meaningfully. Indeed, since you won't be anticipating being slobber knocked by the rifle, it will likely improve your overall accuracy with it.

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Normally usually most of the time :unsure: adding a recoil reducer to the stock will not affect regulation meaningfully. Indeed, since you won't be anticipating being slobber knocked by the rifle, it will likely improve your overall accuracy with it.
Well in that case I think I'll be visiting the gunsmith tomorrow! My first dg hunt is in October and I'm nervous enough as it is lol

AZDAVE

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa, Alaska,lower 48
The only thing you will need to consider is what it will do the the balance of the rifle. have you gunsmith take that into consideration.

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
The only thing you will need to consider is what it will do the the balance of the rifle. have you gunsmith take that into consideration.
That's a great point, thank you! I dropped it off this morning and the gunsmith was considering putting some of the weight in the fore-end as well to help with the balance. I never would have thought about it!

HWL

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Germany, Austria, Norway
Recoil is like your wife..... you have to tolerate it.

HWL

Don Hinton

AH senior member
Reaction score
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Cape buffalo plains game
I added this recoil pad to replace horrible red pad on my 470
Don

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-27 at 3.12.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-27 at 3.12.42 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 24
  • Screen Shot 2021-07-27 at 3.12.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-27 at 3.12.45 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 22

deewayne2003

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Well in that case I think I'll be visiting the gunsmith tomorrow! My first dg hunt is in October and I'm nervous enough as it is lol

With the rifle already at the smith.... how is the fit of the gun to you?

I ask because the addition of 0.75" to the stocks LOP on my .470ne made an unbelievable difference in not only the recoil but my ability to shoot it accurately; to get the fit right you REALLY need to have someone else there fitting you that knows what they are doing.

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
With the rifle already at the smith.... how is the fit of the gun to you?

I ask because the addition of 0.75" to the stocks LOP on my .470ne made an unbelievable difference in not only the recoil but my ability to shoot it accurately; to get the fit right you REALLY need to have someone else there fitting you that knows what they are doing.
I think it's a good fit but I should have him look, ty!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Normanwef

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

ABOUT US

We believe that a hunter's experience should be cherished, and so we offer a service that honours those unique and special memories and equips you to tell your adventure story. Every part of your journey with us, from communication to craftsmanship is carefully considered in order to create an experience worth remembering.
Services Flyer 2.jpg
Rare Breed wrote on USMA84DAB's profile.
Doc attached.
elkhunter77 wrote on Mark Biggerstaff's profile.
Yes, I am interested in some A Frames to load, if they are the 300 grain or other that will work for Cape Buff. I need enough to work up a load and sight in, then carry over there
KKovar wrote on AfricaHunting.com's profile.
Wow, great response regarding the title of a thread and an amazing site.
Jerycmeach wrote on Bullet Safaris's profile.
I am interested in hearing about your wild lion hunts.