Jager Waffen74

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Safari Club International, NRA, Wild Sheep Foundation
Hunted
Tanzania, Nimibia, S. Africa, New Zealand, Mexico, Yukon, Northwest Territories
I am looking at a double rifle to buy and it will be my first one. I am looking for something that I will be able to shoot regularly and enjoy it and become very proficient with it.

Some folks are telling me that the .450/400 is not a big bore and it is marginal on dangerous game. I have looked at velocities and I tend to agree, but I dont see my self hunting beyond 150yds with it, and I would rather have perfect bullet placement. With hornady having factory loading, brass will be readily available.

I appreciate any advice you have. I believe I narrowed it down to a Heym for brand.

The 450/400 is in my opinion a very interesting cartridge and I would use it on all dangerous game. A Heym 89 regulated with good ammunition I would try it on all dangerous game. The recoil is not so hard and I would rather place a good shot with a 450/400 on game than use a overkill gun on any kind of game. I tried a 450/400 at the Heym factory but then decided to buy a .470 NE. Tried also the .500 NE and the .577 NE but both are too much for me. Sometimes less is more and a good placed shot with 450/400 will take down any buffalo etc. A German well known writer does use it in a double for years and he is very satisfied with it.

Dr. F. Metzner. He writes for the biggest hunting magazines„Wild & Hund“ „Jagdzeit“ „Jagen Weltweit“.

All of the old writers had nothing but praise for it. Look at it this way. Before the 375 H&H came out, it was considered THE all around African caliber for all game including Elephant. The 375 H&H is most likely used on more successful DG hunts every year than any other caliber, and the 450/400 is said to be more effective than the 375. So, I think you're headed in the right direction.

Sorry, totally unrelated question, but how does one make a new post on this Africanhunting.com?

Sorry, totally unrelated question, but how does one make a new post on this Africanhunting.com?
Go to the forum you want to post in and there is a little button at the top of the forum list:)

I read the 450/400 is a very good caliber for the occasional elephant hunter, but there are better for PH (different purposes really).

In my mind the milder recoil of the 450/400 as compared to larger bores increases the likelihood that you will get that second shot off accurately in a bad situation. And that is after all the purpose of the double. I do like the look of the 500/416 as a step up if you want more velocity.(y)

I’ve got a 470NE it seems to hammer me when shooting paper but when buffalo in sight picture I do not remember any recoil at all such is the human mind

I chose the 450-400 for my one and only dangerous game double rifle because i will practise with it much more than i would with something bigger and with more recoil. And I can see myself using it for regular game near home, it would not be too out of place hunting moose elk or bears.

Thank you for all the advice. I appreciate it.

I would take a well placed shot with a premium bullet (certainly not Hornady) over a marginal placed shot with any given bullet any day. If one practices with his/her equipment and is proficient with it I would feel more than comfortable with a 450/400. It’s killed a hellava lot of DG over the years.

I am looking at a double rifle to buy and it will be my first one. I am looking for something that I will be able to shoot regularly and enjoy it and become very proficient with it.

Some folks are telling me that the .450/400 is not a big bore and it is marginal on dangerous game. I have looked at velocities and I tend to agree, but I dont see my self hunting beyond 150yds with it, and I would rather have perfect bullet placement. With hornady having factory loading, brass will be readily available.

I appreciate any advice you have. I believe I narrowed it down to a Heym for brand.

Hi, I think your choice of Heym in .450-400 is a good one, myself I love the calibre. I would not say it is a stopper, but it has never stopped my wife from using hers (a Heym 88 .450-400) up to and including elephant! My wife and I had the pleasure of hosting a buffalo hunt for Dr. Metzner. He is a fountain of knowledge concerning firearms. I would give one piece of advice "fit, fit, fit", be sure what ever double you buy that it fits you perfectly. Depending on your eye sight and preferences you may like one of the new red dot sights trijicon, aimpoint, etc. They are quite amazing and easily mounted on a Heym.

Mr. Wolkman, owner of Heym recently contacted me concerning Heym double rifles. In his e-mail he mentioned that there is a international school opening that is devoted to the use of double rifles. Looking forward to finding out more about it.

Go for it sir! Sounds like those who own one are in support!

It is a great caliber when used with the right bullets. It has more momentum than a 375 H&H 300 gr bullet and with the right bullet and shot placement you can kill even the biggest elephant with it.

Your idea of using a low recoiling caliber and getting proficient with it is the best way to go about it.

Good luck, great choice shoot straight and enjoy one of the best calibers ever designed.

Thanks for the reply! I couldn't make my mind up and I got 2 good deals on 2 Heym 88Bs fully engraved so I ended up with a .500NE, and a .470NE. They are beautiful and shoot great!

As I write this, I am sitting in my hotel room in Dar es Salaam and tomorrow am I will be on my charter plane to the bush in the Selous to put my .500 NE and my .416 Rigby to the test on some animals. I am so excited. I will keep everyone up to date on any success!

Thanks

Best of luck on your hunt!

It should be a good choice. I never fired it , but l fired a .404 Jeffery . If l understand it , the ballistics between a .404 and .450/400 are very similar.
For Buffalo and lion , use Soft points ( l had good fortune with Swift A frames ) . For Elephant , only solid bullets should be used. A square Monolithic solids were pretty good when they were around , though they were harmful to rifle barrels .
I would recommend cutting edge bullets monolithic solids with the meplat tip.
A good second choice , would be Kynoch flat nose full metal jacket rounds .
Some of my friends have good results with Hornady DGS , but l personally wouldn't recommend them. Happy hunting ,
Hoss

Oh , you got a .500 NE . Ever better. The .500 NE is the rolls Royce of Double rifle calibers. It's better than the .470 NE in terms of stopping power , since it's 570 grain bullet is heaver than the .470s 500 grain bullet. It has even better penetration than the .577 Nitro Express ( made famous by my Childhood hero , Stewart Granger ) since the .500 NE's 570 grain bullet travels at 2150 fps versus the heavier 750 grain bullet of the .577 NE travelling at 2050 fps .
If my understanding is correct , the .500 Nitro Express is Ballistically similar to Norma's .500 Jeffery loading using their 570 grain load. Very impressive and you can't go wrong. The largest practical caliber for a double

Hi, I think your choice of Heym in .450-400 is a good one, myself I love the calibre. I would not say it is a stopper, but it has never stopped my wife from using hers (a Heym 88 .450-400) up to and including elephant! My wife and I had the pleasure of hosting a buffalo hunt for Dr. Metzner. He is a fountain of knowledge concerning firearms. I would give one piece of advice "fit, fit, fit", be sure what ever double you buy that it fits you perfectly. Depending on your eye sight and preferences you may like one of the new red dot sights trijicon, aimpoint, etc. They are quite amazing and easily mounted on a Heym.

Mr. Wolkman, owner of Heym recently contacted me concerning Heym double rifles. In his e-mail he mentioned that there is a international school opening that is devoted to the use of double rifles. Looking forward to finding out more about it.
Hi Lon, did anything ever come of this double school?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg