45-70 for RSA?

Mountain Man

Reaction score
Media
Plains game, Sable, kudu. Planning on taking a 45-70 to RSA.
Also are night vision devices allowed for small game? I have a 17hmr setup for coyotes and bobcats using electronic calls..
Are electronic calls allowed?

Not sure about NV, but I've taken many Jackals brought in with electronic callers.

FN

Also are night vision devices allowed for small game? I have a 17hmr setup for coyotes and bobcats using electronic calls..
Assuming you have used it for game pretty extensively in the States and fully understand the rifle's limitations, it will be fine for PG. If you are intending to use open sights as well, remember that kudu are often found in thick cover and open sights are not always the best choice for slipping a bullet through a tiny window at the bull of your dreams standing 150 yards away.

Take it from one who watched the effectiveness of the 17HMR at night on small RSA game critters.
Leave it at home.
Better to take something in a .17, 20, or 22 centerfire cartridges.

As Red Leg said, as long as you are disciplined to work within the range limitations, I think it'd do right fine on PG. I used mine this year for a cow buff and a zebra. Both were one shot kills and both were down sooner than it took me to type this.

Night vision is controlled under ITAR. You need state department permission to bring it legally.

as above, 45-70 will work fine within its limitations. An accurate scoped rifle is going to give you the most opportunity to bring home the animal you want. Your 45-70 will let you hunt the way you want and somewhat reduce your chances of getting a specific animal. It’s your hunt so only you can decide how to prioritize things.

Presumably it’s your first african hunt or you’d not be asking. Perspective tends to change once you get there. That’s not a problem: If you get a few days in and you’ve seen great animals that you can’t ethically shoot with your rifle, you can always borrow a rifle or set up at a water hole if getting the animal becomes more important to you than getting it with your rifle.

I'd take the 45-70 and leave the 17 at home.

Then if you do have time for smaller game just rent a rifle from the outfitter.

On my first trip I hunted hard all the days that I had for my kudu, I sealed the deal on the last morning. I didn't have time for any small game such as jackals, and the only jackal that I saw I was packing my heaver rifle and didn't want to spook any other game in the area by shooting it.

What ammo? I would not shoot something large-ish and tough-ish (kudu, zebra, gemsbock, etc) with Hornady's FTX 325 gr. You're better off handloading some lead alloy bullets with a high-ish Brinnel Hardness and a wide meplat. I shoot Beartooth bullets Piledriver and Piledriver, Junior, 525 and 425 gr respectively; at modest velocity of about 1625 fps. Same nose profile on both, the meplat is about 0.37. No question that, at appropriate distances, you will get full width penetration, so be careful what's behind your target.

But those aren't the only ones. If you hand load, you have quite a lot of choices.

it was also quite the capable American bison gun as well, with 405 gr soft lead (or paper-patched lead) at about 1250-1300 fps at the muzzle, no less.

At 1625 fps, either of those bullets, when sighted in about 4 or 5" high at 100 yds, will reach nearly 200 yards without having to adjust for holdover on animals as large as the bigger antelope.

it was also quite the capable American bison gun as well, with 405 gr soft lead at about 1250-1300 fps at the muzzle, no less.

Don't forget bears and moose up in Alaska along with Canada

Yip but we long past that era same as 7x57mm for elephant....

You wanna hunt kudu with a cowboy gun no problem but understand the limitations and for a first time hunter really not a good choice or recommendation.....

If it comes along as a second oportunistic gun np but as a primary, I could not recommend it....

Oh I didn't forget. I figured that went without saying. ;)

I wouldn't classify a 45-70 as a "cowboy gun"

Those would be the 44-40, 45 Long Colt and others that you could shoot pistol round out of.

45-70 was originally created to kill people. It was used on bison because that was what people had available. It has it's limitations and not many people actually use them in Alaska for moose or bear because there's a lot better choices for both. Alaska Department of Fish ahd Game actually have restrictions on the use 45-70 for bison. They have obviously had issues in the past. A minimum of 2800 ft/pounds of energy at the muzzle is required for rifles and 45-70 must have a 400 grain or larger bullet with 70 grains or more of black powder or equivalent. So those original load works, but not exceptionally well. Modern loads in a modern rifle like a Ruger #1 are a noticable improvement.

Yip but we long past that era same as 7x57mm for elephant....

You wanna hunt kudu with a cowboy gun no problem but understand the limitations and for a first time hunter really not a good choice or recommendation.....

If it comes along as a second oportunistic gun np but as a primary, I could not recommend it....
I wouldn't classify a 45-70 as a "cowboy gun"

Those would be the 44-40, 45 Long Colt and others that you could shoot pistol round out of.
it was also quite the capable American bison gun as well, with 405 gr soft lead (or paper-patched lead) at about 1250-1300 fps at the muzzle, no less.

At 1625 fps, either of those bullets, when sighted in about 4 or 5" high at 100 yds, will reach nearly 200 yards without having to adjust for holdover on animals as large as the bigger antelope.
We can all be supportive of our heritage, and that is great. But I think @IvW simply makes a very practical point more directly than I did. The 45-70 in Africa is rather like using a .410 on quail. In the hands of an expert, It works adequately - but is a mistake for both shooter and birds in the hands of most. It is why I prefaced my comment with the assumption the OP should have extensive North American experience with the caliber. If he does, he hopefully realizes and accepts the limitations he is placing on what may be a once in a lifetime experience.

Last edited:
Obviously I have a bias. I guess I see it this way: is it a perfect solution? No, but then, I'm not sure I believe that exists anyway, and yes, some are better than others. Is it a good/viable solution? Yes, with some of the aforementioned caveats.

When it comes down to it I agree that it was developed as a military round to shoot at people, but look at all the other rounds that have the same heritage.

With the proper loads with modern bullets and powder it should be quite capable on plains game. If the shooter realizes that he is going to have to get inside that 100 yard range before he pulls the trigger.

Why SA...?....bring the 45-70 here and you will have great time walking and stalking....just forget the small stuff....but you will have a great hunt if that's what you looking for....

Ps ..you will work your ass off for your trophies...we don't guarantee anything...but as said if you're hunting as opposed to shooting you will enjoy..cheers mike

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AishaYpd4

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross