45-70 for plains game?

Serbian Hunter,
Your home made "Punch" bullets are a great example of "where there is a will, there is a way".
I know an American hunter that is seeking to do that too, so I will send him a link to this thread. His motivation is that he has tried for months to order the Punch bullets from the present maker/distributor, but has had no response - or bullets. Your solution may become popular here in the USA.
Good Show!

The scimatics maybe a valuable commodity, I have access to all the required components. Lathes brass ect.
The idea of turning my own appeals to the part of my brain that also seems to thing casting looks like a wonderful idea.
Did he turn two bullets at once mirrored from centre then split them?

Serbian Hunter,
Your home made "Punch" bullets are a great example of "where there is a will, there is a way".
I know an American hunter that is seeking to do that too, so I will send him a link to this thread. His motivation is that he has tried for months to order the Punch bullets from the present maker/distributor, but has had no response - or bullets. Your solution may become popular here in the USA.
Good Show!
in my opinion the maker,grizzly cartridge co is a jerk.doesent answer the phone and as far as im concerned,you cant put in an order.for straight walled cartridges,its the best,but i and my gun dealer cant buy any.hope he goes out of business.

The scimatics maybe a valuable commodity, I have access to all the required components. Lathes brass ect.
The idea of turning my own appeals to the part of my brain that also seems to thing casting looks like a wonderful idea.
Did he turn two bullets at once mirrored from centre then split them?
At that time I had a problem to find CNC lathe and hunting trip was getting closer so finally I asked friend to make them one by one on "common lathe". Now it would be much better to turn them in files ready for CNC and just order quantity I need for next hunt

Dear
in my opinion the maker,grizzly cartridge co is a jerk.doesent answer the phone and as far as im concerned,you cant put in an order.for straight walled cartridges,its the best,but i and my gun dealer cant buy any.hope he goes out of business.
Edward,
I tried to find Grizzly in EU but it was impossible and now I hear from you that this is an issue even in US.
My bullet is quite different from Punch - it's made from different material, having driving bands to reduce initial pressure and different copper/lead ratio.

I wonder if they could be mailed from Canada to the eu?
@Serbian Hunter
As far as I know, ammo can not be transported via air but only by ships in Europe. Also, my country is very complicated with paperwork for guns and ammo. Anyway, I made my own cartridges and they worked very well on buff and for boar and deer Punch are too hard

Edward and other gents,
I know Mike Rintoul, the founder and owner of Grizzly, and have hunted with him. My best hunting buddy has known him 15+ years. Mike has provided custom loaded ammo for my friends and my self for more than 10 years. He was due to come to Texas in March of this year for a hunt, but shortly before the hunt, we lost contact with him. I have searched the Internet for information, but the only information I found last spring was that two different US distributors had split the sales opportunities and were to handle distribution to ammo and bullet dealers; no mention of direct sales.
My buddy has called all Mike's numbers and sent emails, all to no avail. At this point we have not heard from him since earlier this year; this after years of multiple contacts per month.
Heck, my guide even called Mike from the field after watching my 45-90 flatten a running bison; he wanted to double check the velocity of the African 450 grain Kodiak load ; Mike confirmed that it was 2150 fps.

I have no further explanation, but it does not look good for 'business as usual" at Grizzly Cartridge.

So, until further developments, replacing the Punch type bullet may be up to individuals or another company. I gave my next-to-last 430 grain .458 Punch bullet from the original inventor to a Texas shooter who wants to use it for specs to make his own. I wish him luck. I am saving my last Punch as a souvenir.

Edward and other gents,
I know Mike Rintoul, the founder and owner of Grizzly, and have hunted with him. My best hunting buddy has known him 15+ years. Mike has provided custom loaded ammo for my friends and my self for more than 10 years. He was due to come to Texas in March of this year for a hunt, but shortly before the hunt, we lost contact with him. I have searched the Internet for information, but the only information I found last spring was that two different US distributors had split the sales opportunities and were to handle distribution to ammo and bullet dealers; no mention of direct sales.
My buddy has called all Mike's numbers and sent emails, all to no avail. At this point we have not heard from him since earlier this year; this after years of multiple contacts per month.
Heck, my guide even called Mike from the field after watching my 45-90 flatten a running bison; he wanted to double check the velocity of the African 450 grain Kodiak load ; Mike confirmed that it was 2150 fps.

I have no further explanation, but it does not look good for 'business as usual" at Grizzly Cartridge.

So, until further developments, replacing the Punch type bullet may be up to individuals or another company. I gave my next-to-last 430 grain .458 Punch bullet from the original inventor to a Texas shooter who wants to use it for specs to make his own. I wish him luck. I am saving my last Punch as a souvenir.
when i first started doing business with mike i had great repore with him,right after he obtained the punch from belt mountain.what happened i dont know,thankfully i have a good amount of 41 mag,454 casull,475 linnebaugh,500 wyoming express factory loaded grizzly ammo.more than ill ever need at 81.gives me a nice cozy feeling.

It sounds like the Australian made Wooleigh bullets may be worth looking at.
They are a solid brass alloy as far as i know but they are exported and found in factory loads.
I believe they developed an alloy fit for purpose.
They dont have the lead in the back but they penetrate most medium and cause Hydrostatic shock due to the cavity in the nose.
Their website has more detail and they are still in business lets keep it that way.

It sounds like the Australian made Wooleigh bullets may be worth looking at.
They are a solid brass alloy as far as i know but they are exported and found in factory loads.
I believe they developed an alloy fit for purpose.
They dont have the lead in the back but they penetrate most medium and cause Hydrostatic shock due to the cavity in the nose.
Their website has more detail and they are still in business lets keep it that way.
i use the 286 gr hydro static solid woodleigh in my 9.3x74r double rifle and my scope sighted encore handgun.complete pass through on my last cape bull at 66 yards with the double and complete pass through on my scimitar oryx in texas with the single shot encore handgun at 129 yards,great bullet in my opinion.
IMG_4184.JPG
DSCF0671.jpg

Nice Buff. Nice jacket. Does thst cause issues when travelling through customs?
On another note it seems like North Fork are finished, Punch are uncontactable, is it Rhino bullets are rare to find perhaps its time to promote Woodleigh
I dont know them and i have no affiliation with them or even DG experience.
I am a Proud Aussie and we are a small economy with a lot of industry going offshore or foreign investors taking on our farmlands and mining.
Ive used some Woodleigh products and some communication with them and read nothing but good reports about product and service. Its time to spread the word.

Nice Buff. Nice jacket. Does thst cause issues when travelling through customs?
On another note it seems like North Fork are finished, Punch are uncontactable, is it Rhino bullets are rare to find perhaps its time to promote Woodleigh
I dont know them and i have no affiliation with them or even DG experience.
I am a Proud Aussie and we are a small economy with a lot of industry going offshore or foreign investors taking on our farmlands and mining.
Ive used some Woodleigh products and some communication with them and read nothing but good reports about product and service. Its time to spread the word.
never had a problem with the elephant vest as most people dont know what kind of leather its made out of,wont worry as i most likely wont be going back,to much bullshit.

Good evening gentleman I have had such a positive response to the last question I asked I decided to trouble you all with another, or in this case two.

My first question is , Is a single shot 45-70 an acceptable rifle for plains game?

My secound question is , how large of plans game would you feel 45-70 is effectively capable of taking ?

For clarity sake I am using a single shot Henry suitable for marlin level loads ( quote from Henry, I called) and a Nikon 1-4-20 monarch African.

Thank you all for in advance taking the time to answer.
@Skinnersblade
Mike Venturo hunted one of the African countries with a 40/80 or 45/90 or some other black powder cartridge and had no problems at all. His rifle was either an original or replica Sharpes. I will see if I can find the article for you.
Bob

ive killed bison,lioness,and a cape buffalo bull with my single shot scope sighted contender hand gun.bullet placement,proper bullet construction,and proper distance is required.63 yards was the distance on my cape bull.one shot.bullet used was a cor-bon 405 grain penetrator solid.the ground squirrels i shot was only for practice.

CRS

CRS,
Punch bullets are great but since I couldn't import them I was forced to develop my own solution.
I made my bullets on lathe (my friend draw and made them for me but according to my idea and inputs)
My project task was:
- Keep OAL on max 65.2mm in order to secure flawless cycling
- Maximize velocity but stay on 40.000PSI level
- Min bullet weight 400grs
Due to relatively low capacity of .45-70 case, I was forced to stay on as short bullet as possible so - stayed away from solids. Hard cast was one of the options but sometime lacking consistency. WFN is a shape which offers good penetration. Result: Copper bullet, hollowed base filled with soft lead made on lathe. In order to give some extra velocity put 7 driving bands. My calculations said that driving bands gave me add 30m/s on the same pressure level. Tested in 6L water jugs (6"x6" base) and bullet went through all 10 jugs I had in line (m=400grs, V=560ms)

View attachment 320620 View attachment 320621 View attachment 320622
@Serbian Hunter
Be careful with those projectiles mate. You could end up with people on AH wanting you to make them for themselves. Next thing you know your a bullet maker
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross