45-120

EDELWEISS

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
US, Canada, Middle East(does that count)
Im interested in these old BP cartridges; but have to admit that they confuse me when compared to the power of the NE rounds. A 45-120 looks very close to 450 NE (3 1/4), and I "know" or at least I know 450NE is powerful enough for dangerous game; but I cant find any comparison between 45-120 and 450NE.

Are they close? Can a 45-120 be used for dangerous game, in countries that require 375H&H as a minimum?

Im not interested in 45-70 "nuclear powered rounds". The 45-120 seems to be equivalent to the 450???

Thoughts

hi edelweiss from the info i have they are in no way comparable. the 45-120 with 500grn bullet at 1520 ft/sec produces 2561 ft/lbs , and the 450 3 1/4 NE with 480grn bullet at 2150ft/sec produces 4930 ft/lbs.

The 45-120 is actually equivalent to the 450 Black Powder Express, which with 120gr of Black, shot a 365 gr bullet @ 1700 fps for an energy of 2340fp.
In a strong modern rifle you could indeed load the 45-120 with smokeless powder to equal the 450 Nitro.

Hello,
If you can find a copy of, SPG Lubricants BP Cartridge Reloading Primer by Mike Venturino and Steve Garbe it is a very good source of information on black powder cartridges. It was printed in 1992, great velocity, energy, and trajectory tables. You could convert the energy to joules and determine what class of game the cartridge is legal for by the regulations for the desired country. You will find that some of the BP cartridges compare to some of the old BP expresses maybe, but not with anything using smokeless powders.
Hope this helps,
Dirtdart

I've built three doubles in the modern loading of this cartridge, 500 grain bullet at 2200 FPS and its a real killer. I like it because you can use a very narrow framed action. I did however have a custom reamer that opens the throat and neck up for modern bullets (.458). Loads are exactly the same as a 450NE. I call it a .458 NE American, which it is.

The difference is that the 45/120 is a black powder round and the operating pressure in 28000 and below and the 450NE is 43000ish.
If you load the 45/120 to the same pressure level it will get you 450NE ballistics. The only problem is that if you shot the higher pressure load in an
old Sharps or rolling block that was designed for BP pressure's you are asking for trouble. I shoot both 450NE double and an old shaps in 45/110 just so a 450NE won't chamber
enjoy both for their intended purpose.

Every so often I get the urge to rechamber (lengthen) a Pedersoli Double Rifle from 45-70 to 45-120. I know its been successfully done and its not complicated for competent gunsmiths. My question is would it be OK for say Leopard or maybe Lion. Obviously Id be hunting with a PH who would have a "modern" rifle.

EIDELWEISS,

The .45-120 is plenty for leopard and likely plenty for lion as well.

Heck, the .45-70 will probably get the same respect from people who have shot and seen shot quite a few large cats (I have not done so).

Many PHs will not guide for baited leopard unless the client is using a scope on their rifle.

Perhaps there might be one somewhere that would agree to your idea (it'd be a shame to have to scope a good looking hammer gun like yours).

Perhaps one of the PHs who offer hunting leopard with hounds would agree to your idea.

I do not hunt leopard because I am severely ADHD and cannot sit still in a blind very long ("ants in my pants") and am too old to keep up with a pack of hounds these days (youth is wasted on the young).

I can still walk all day with a large bore rifle and I shoot them very well but, I will never hunt lion due to the price.

However, if you do not find an Outfitter or PH here in this forum (there are several excellent ones here) that will accommodate you, I know one that occasionally gets a lion permit for a 100,000 acre concession bordering The Kruger Park, no fence between them, only a shallow river (I shot a 42" buffalo there, shown as my Avatar).

When he has a permit, he offers a tracking hunt on foot for true free-range lion.

You would be limiting your shot opportunity (wild lions are quite skittish/elusive/difficult to sneak up on) with no scope but, perhaps he might agree to your idea, I'm not sure.

Fly in the oatmeal - Those free-range lion hunts cost more than most folks can afford.

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.

I've just got one Edelweiss so I'll keep the forum informed!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois