Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
These last couple of weeks of dealing with all this gov't crap has taken it's toll on me. I was up for the fight, even welcomed it at one point. But no more. Combining all this latest crap with the hassle of airline travel and I've found myself burned out on it all. So with just 52 days before my next trip to RSA, I'm cancelling it. Sorry Jacques, I know this is short notice and I'm getting burned too with the lost airfare. But I just can't do it anymore, I'm done, no more Africa for me.

It has been a blast going to the conventions and meeting everyone. But if I'm not going to Africa anymore, there just seems to be no sense in attending. I will continue to contribute here on AH as we talk about hunting in other places too. I hopefully will have a report of a successful elk hunt this September. At the same I anticipate not being here as much.

Whatever the case, good luck and best wishes to all of you traveling abroad for hunts and taking your rifles!

APRIL FOOLS!!!!!

Sorry, I know your addiction is way to strong for this one buddy!

Dammit you guys is smart

Sorry if it makes you feel any better, I did type four or five words out before I saw your name and knew that it was a joke!

Darn and I was going to call and drive over for a sun downer and check your temperature...

It isn't all that far fetched that someone would blow a gasket and say, F**k it , I'm out! I feel that way now as far as taking guns along anymore. Its just such a pain in the ASS traveling with guns, and that was before this crap jumps up. I envision how easy traveling to Africa would be without all the BS packing and angst about SAPS and gun cases, and ammo cases, and forms and TSA, and CBP coming and going and doing transfers at airports, and all the attendant hassle. I am just not sure its worth it. I plan to go to Africa more, I hope at least a couple more times but when I think of how easy it would be without guns, I am strongly inclined to go that way.

It isn't all that far fetched that someone would blow a gasket and say, F**k it , I'm out! I feel that way now as far as taking guns along anymore. Its just such a pain in the ASS traveling with guns, and that was before this crap jumps up. I envision how easy traveling to Africa would be without all the BS packing and angst about SAPS and gun cases, and ammo cases, and forms and TSA, and CBP coming and going and doing transfers at airports, and all the attendant hassle. I am just not sure its worth it. I plan to go to Africa more, I hope at least a couple more times but when I think of how easy it would be without guns, I am strongly inclined to go that way.

I'm actually at this point thinking SAPS is easier than CBP.

I would like to suggest that the problem isn't rules, its ever changing rules. We can adapt to almost anything. SAPS is really no problem - fill it in right (in black ink!) the first time, and SA is a breeze to get into. Even leaving Canada - where we require export permits for the gun, the scopes, the ammo, the people who run the department are helpful and prompt. Rules haven't changed for years, and we all know what we need to do. I'd say it makes me 15 minutes to fill out the forms, and then I scan them and email them in. A week or two later, permit's in the inbox.

But when the rules change, and change frequently, then everyone gets confused and frustrated, likely on both sides.

My guess is that American hunters who were used to getting the CBP 4457 (which apparently requires you to show up before a customs officer with the firearms - that can't be the most convenient thing if you live is West Bugtussle), will - once the new system is worked out - just move over to getting registered and make the filings online. It may ultimately prove easier. (Which is not an excuse for change rules that have worked well for years and changing them in a half-assed manner). But in the meantime, chaos.

oh .....oh....oh...you didn't got me......:rolleyes:

At first I was sucked right in. Now, I'm laughing at myself. Next it will be, crap, now this means he's still going to be around pulling more crap on us!
:A Blowup:

At first I was sucked right in. Now, I'm laughing at myself. Next it will be, crap, now this means he's still going to be around pulling more crap on us!
:A Blowup:

Who me? :whistle: ;) :rolleyes:

Last edited:
It took me until about halfway through reading your post.......then it hit me......"It's April fools day"

Good one Phil!

Phil good thing i didn't see this first thing I would have to drive up to phoenix and take you out behind the wood shed and adjust you attitude till you came back to your senses.

Happy Aprils fools day!

Not that every single one of us hasn't had that thought once or twenty times. Good one, Phil. Wish I had thought of it first.....

Well done!
Happy April 1st.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg