Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
several sporting clubs
Hunted
several
I took my Winchester and baby sharps in 44-40 out today to check the load I want to use. I shot at 50 yards from a good rest(a little windy). the sharps shot the best(peep sight may have helped), with the Winchester 53 bring up the rear(open sights used). top target was shot six times with the sharps and the bottom target was shot 6 times with the Winchester. the load was 200gr JFP with H4227 powder at 1600 fps. after shooting I stopped at a friends farm and saw a ground hog out and put a sneek on him and got with in 50 yards or so and shot him off hand with the sharps.

DSCN1471 (2).JPG
DSCN1471 (3).JPG
DSCN1473 (2).JPG
DSCN1475 (2).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to have a nice M53 set up similar to yours. My pet load uses the Winchester 200 gr SP with 16.5 gr of Blue Dot. Velocity was in the mid 1600 fps range with good accuracy and enough pressure for consistent and clean burning.

that fps(1600 fps) is what I was looking for in my 92-53 Winchesters and baby sharps with 200 gr JFP bullets, and in my 73 Winchesters I run cast 200 gr LFP bullets at 1150 fps to be safe.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross