Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
DSC Life Member, International Member PHASA
Hunted
Several of the lower 48, Alaska, South Africa, Ireland, Argentina, Peru
Im getting ready to start reloading for 416 Taylor.

How necessary do you guys think crimping the cartridges is for this ammo?

My thoughts were its got a good bit of recoil to it (when shooting 400gr projectiles it produces roughly 25% more recoil energy than a 375 H&H shooting 300gr projectiles with roughly the same recoil pulse according to the Chuck Hawks recoil table), and that I should plan on crimping...

The problem is.. I cant seem to find anyone that makes a crimp die for the 416 Taylor...

Suggestions?

Im getting ready to start reloading for 416 Taylor.

How necessary do you guys think crimping the cartridges is for this ammo?

My thoughts were its got a good bit of recoil to it (when shooting 400gr projectiles it produces roughly 25% more recoil energy than a 375 H&H shooting 300gr projectiles with roughly the same recoil pulse according to the Chuck Hawks recoil table), and that I should plan on crimping...

The problem is.. I cant seem to find anyone that makes a crimp die for the 416 Taylor...

Suggestions?
I had LEE make a factory crimp die for my .404 Jeffery. The .404 is not listed in available calibers on their site but they had me mail them a dummy round and sent the dummy round back with a crimp die. If I remember it was around $30 and works excellent. I have a Taylor that one of these days when I get around to serious load development I have plans to see if they will make a factory crimp die for the Taylor. If you decide go that route let us know if they will do a .416 taylor.

As long as the bullets you are using have a cannelure in the proper location for the correct overall length then you could buy a second die set and pull out the seating stem and leave leave that die in the press just to crimp. Only suggesting this option when you are talking about what I would call a low cost die set which the LEE 2 die set in this cartridge is. I prefer to seat and crimp in two separate stages and would recommend crimping any .416 rounds that will be used in a magazine rifle.

I had Lee make a crimp die for my 400 H&H. Cheap and easy. Just send them a dummy cartridge.

Have an extra Lee crimping die for the 416 Remington . New never used it as when I ordered the die set a crimping die came with it. PM me if you think the 416 rem die might work. It should if I have my memory of pics right. Make you a deal.

Have an extra Lee crimping die for the 416 Remington . New never used it as when I ordered the die set a crimping die came with it. PM me if you think the 416 rem die might work. It should if I have my memory of pics right. Make you a deal.
The .416 Taylor cartridge is too short for the Lee factory crimp die in .416 Remington to work.

Dittos on having Lee make you a Factory Crimp Die. That is the simplest and cheapest option available.

I don't have case lengths handy but would a 416 Ruger fcd work on the Taylor ? I use a 338 win mag fcd on my 338-06 and it works great.​

Agree with others; have Lee make you a FCD.

I have been loading and shooting my 416 Taylor with 400gr projectiles with 70grs of Reloader15 and have never had any troubles caused by recoil. I have loaded up and down a couple grains each way and find this to be very accurate in the rifle pictured in my profile pic.

Am I understanding that you do not crimp your 416 T loads... and that you havent experienced any problems @Boyd Brooks ?

Am I understanding that you do not crimp your 416 T loads... and that you havent experienced any problems @Boyd Brooks ?
Thats correct I just use my Redding dies and seat the bullets to length. Two in the mag and one in the chamber and have not had any bullet movement on the cartridges in the magazine.

good info to know! Thanks!

I will probably go on and get the FCD from Lee.. for no more than they cost, its probably worth having available..

thanks for the tip on RL15 also.. Ive been looking at different powders and trying to figure out which ones to start with and try (Im a pretty dyed in the wool IMR 4064 guy and use it for the majority of my rifles.. but I havent found a good reference for 4064 with the 416T yet.. so I've been considering other options..)..

good info to know! Thanks!

I will probably go on and get the FCD from Lee.. for no more than they cost, its probably worth having available..

thanks for the tip on RL15 also.. Ive been looking at different powders and trying to figure out which ones to start with and try (Im a pretty dyed in the wool IMR 4064 guy and use it for the majority of my rifles.. but I havent found a good reference for 4064 with the 416T yet.. so I've been considering other options..)..
The Woodleigh reloading manual has a 416 Taylor section with load data for 350 and 400 grain bullets but no listing for IMR4064.

I have been loading and shooting my 416 Taylor with 400gr projectiles with 70grs of Reloader15 and have never had any troubles caused by recoil. I have loaded up and down a couple grains each way and find this to be very accurate in the rifle pictured in my profile pic.
Boyd,
Glad to hear this about crimping the bullets in the .416 Taylor. I purchased a .416 Taylor rifle a few months ago. Haven’t fired it yet. A few weeks ago I formed the cases from .458WM brass. I recently received some older Barnes original 400gr bullets without a cannelure and loaded them with 70.0 gr of Reloader 15 as Geoff McDonald from Woodleigh Bullets suggested. I tapered crimped them, so we’ll see what happens with the recoil and bullet movement this upcoming weekend at the range?
CEH

I have .416 Howell, an old wildcat based on a shortened .404 Jeffery case. Have measured the overall length of a number of cartridges that were left in the magazine while four shots were fired and none of the bullets moved in the slightest. Do some testing before going to the bother of purchasing a special die.

Crimping is like insurance. You could go 10 or 50 rounds or more without a problem but it's the one anomaly that'll get ya. Sooner or later there is a reasonable chance that the zigs and zags will line up and a bullet will get set back from recoil or from handling. Just a matter of that one piece of brass that is soft in the neck or the neck wall thickness being a little thin... For plinking/target shooting/berm shooting, just like the sticky chambering of an oversized case... no big deal. But if you are hunting and have spent serious money and time and effort on the hunt, the very little extra time and effort to crimp correctly with a die that is relatively inexpensive seems like super cheap insurance to me. And just because the recoil doesn't set back a bullet in the magazine, doesn't mean a rough handling incident, that you may not even be aware of, won't.

The other nice thing about crimping is it doesn't hurt anything, especially when talking larger caliber, serious hunting ammo.

One of the issues is availability. Lee should be able to custom make one but you need to contact Lee directly. I think they are about 27.00 plus shipping and may take quite a while. Lee customer service is hit-miss.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelitaAu

Latest profile posts

Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,