Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
Lifetime member NRA
All,

Does anyone load there 416 Rigby to 2100-2300 FPS for practice ammo? I’m thinking of shooting factory 416/404 ammo on safari. Just thinking out loud.

Thanks,
Drew

375Fox

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Zambia, Namibia, South Africa
I can’t answer for a 416 yet, but I had the same thoughts when I first got my 375. I had my gunsmith load me up some lighter loads to get familiar shooting gun, I now have a bunch of bullets I have no interest in shooting. If you are going to shoot might as well shoot with bullets you are going to hunt with or bullets with same point of impact. If you want to practice with less recoil dry fire is best practice, get some dummy rounds or put in a spent shell.

Just curious why would you choose to hunt with factory ammo over hand loads?

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
All,

Does anyone load there 416 Rigby to 2100-2300 FPS for practice ammo? I’m thinking of shooting factory 416/404 ammo on safari. Just thinking out loud.

Thanks,
Drew

I only "practice" with the loads I will be using during the hunt.

Andrew Short

Silver supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
Lifetime member NRA
I can’t answer for a 416 yet, but I had the same thoughts when I first got my 375. I had my gunsmith load me up some lighter loads to get familiar shooting gun, I now have a bunch of bullets I have no interest in shooting. If you are going to shoot might as well shoot with bullets you are going to hunt with or bullets with same point of impact. If you want to practice with less recoil dry fire is best practice, get some dummy rounds or put in a spent shell.

Just curious why would you choose to hunt with factory ammo over hand loads?
I’ve only ever loaded for 300WSM, 7mm08 and 223/5.56. I consider myself to be a novice reloader at best and I’m not sure if i trust my handloads on dangerous game... My hand loads may be just fine but I lack confidence in the skill.

375Fox

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Zambia, Namibia, South Africa
I’ve only ever loaded for 300WSM, 7mm08 and 223/5.56. I consider myself to be a novice reloader at best and I’m not sure if i trust my handloads on dangerous game... My hand loads may be just fine but I lack confidence in the skill.
Fair enough, definitely some good factory loads available. My new 416 is sitting at gunsmith until I get home from work, curious to see how I handle the recoil. I always thought my 375 with 300 grain bullets was a lot.

Andrew Short

Silver supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
Lifetime member NRA
I dont mind the 416. I think It’s very comparable to a 3 inch 12 gauge turkey load. I think You will be just fine given you shoot a 375.

Andrew Short

Silver supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
Lifetime member NRA
Wh
Fair enough, definitely some good factory loads available. My new 416 is sitting at gunsmith until I get home from work, curious to see how I handle the recoil. I always thought my 375 with 300 grain bullets was a lot.

What is your 416???

The Engineer

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, DSC
I never feel recoil when hunting. That being said I find I can shoot DG caliber rifles a lot more and not have the potential for developing bad habits (flinch) if I shoot lighter loads when practicing. The muscle memory carries over into hunting. My current 416 Rigby practice load is a 400gr Midway blemished bullet (Very cheap.) over 42.0 grains of 5744 powder. In my rifle this load consistently shoots 1.0 to 1.25" at 100 yards. I keep saying I will chrono the load but have not done so yet.

Light practice loads do not shoot to the same point of aim as a factory load but with the repeatability of modern scopes it is easy to reset the scope without having to sight in again. However, I have two scopes for my Heym Martine Express 426 Rigby. The Heym has machined in scope bases and using Alaskan Arms quick release rings I can change scopes and go exactly back to the same zero.

Andrew Short

Silver supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
Lifetime member NRA
I share the exact same thoughts as you! I think i will load some up for around 2000 FPS. You’re right, it’s not an issue to sight on a scope with a different load with just a few rounds.
My 404 has the Alaska QD rings as well. Very nice set up.

ianevans

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
zambia, SA, sweden ,USA ,Scotland zimbabwe
I shoot 350 gr Barnes at normal velocity ,bit kinder on the recoil and lets me practice a lot . i use proper factory ammo in Africa

spike.t

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.takerireservezambia.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci int, basc,wpaz
Hunted
zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe,Mozambique ,hungary, france, england
All,

Thanks,
Drew

2300 is basically the original standard velocity for 416 rigby....so unless you are one of those people over there that has to load things to hyper velocity you are already going to be using the perfect velocity for it....and it boots a bit but nothing that bad....

Andrew Short

Silver supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
Lifetime member NRA
That’s true. I usually load whatever the rifle likes similar to factory stated velocities.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LouisEchev

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Tally-Ho Hunting Safaris wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.
Lkhntr wrote on Warpig602's profile.
On the vx6 2-12 what does the zl2 stand for?

Thanks, Oliver
bowjijohn wrote on AfricaHunting.com's profile.
Many thanks for re formatting my article for the forum

I served my time in both the bush and during the bush war

I hope it did it justice

Education is where it is at - without it the wild places are history

You - sir - are well placed to make a difference

J