416 Rigby Sell Me On It

Right now it only takes two down, I should've been clearer and you can't really put in the tube when you have two down. We want at least three shots without having to reload. I agree you shouldn't need them, but since it's my kid, I want him to have some insurance

every one knows my opinion of the 416/404 cartridges... love em! (y)

be it a 416 Rigby, 416 Remington, 416 Ruger, 404 Jeffery, or the 500/416 NE. the 400gr 41/42 caliber bullet at 2300fps is both pleasant to shoot and powerful! I have already promised myself I will always have a rifle that fits in this bracket. it will most likely be either the 500/416 NE (already have it... sorta) or the 416 Remington (brass is cheaper).

I will admit im not a fan of the 416 Ruger, but that's not because it performs poorly. I just don't like proprietary cartridges.

-matt

Now I'm all screwed up! First I flip-flop between 375 Ruger and 416 Ruger. Then between 416 Ruger and 416 Rigby. Then someone decides to throw a bug in my ear about the 404 Jeffrey. For the last week or so I have been looking at the Jeffrey, components for reloading and such. Components for the Jeffrey are on the affordable side as compared to the 416's, however, the rifles are not. The only factory rifles I have found in the 404 Jeffrey is the CZ550 Safari Classic (fancy grade) for ~$3300USD. I do have an 8mm Mauser (98) barrel that could possibly be re-bored to 404 Jeffrey and all I would need is the Mauser 98 action to go with it. After looking at prices on all of that, it would still be about the same price as the brand new factory CZ. Problems, problems, and problems, sheesh!

The .404 components are cheaper than others, you just have to find a action, barrel and stock to build one. As if it were that easy:LOL::ROFLMAO::cool:

if cost is a concern then I recommend the 416 Rem mag. it will give you the same performance as all the other 416/404 cartridges but with much cheaper brass. rifles chambered in 416 RM are both available and inexpensive. a friend of mine just bought a nice looking Winchester M70 in 416 RM and he seems happy with it.

-matt

I am not a fan of the Big CZs.........they are just too damn big and clunky feeling to me many of them have to be sent off for feeding issues. I have all three of the RSMs 375H&H, 416Rigby and 458 Lott. While I don't like the square corners on the Rugers I think you get much more rifle for the money. If I where to have a 416Rem it would be in the new model 70 not the CZ.

Rigby or Remington? No doubt Rigby all the way. Lower pressure and you can easily hit 2400 with a 400grainer, extract and feed well and again lower pressure!

in defense of the 416 Rem Mag, it actually operates at a fairly low pressure if you keep it at standard velocity. a 400gr bullet at 2300fps is not even close to max pressure for the 416 RM. like the Rigby you can load a 416 RM up to 2500fps pretty easily with a 400gr bullet. the Rigby is larger and can take it further as ive heard them loaded up to 2600+ fps but if your goal is simply 2300fps then both the Rigby and the Rem Mag sit on relatively equal terms.

the main difference between the Rigby and the Remington Magnum is style and history. the Rigby is well... a Rigby, the name alone is synonymous with hunting in Africa. the Rigby is also an older cartridge with a long storied history of successful hunts in Africa. the Rem Mag is a relative new comer to the game and while it performs well it lacks that history the Rigby has.

-matt

I am not a fan of the Big CZs.........they are just too damn big and clunky feeling to me many of them have to be sent off for feeding issues. I have all three of the RSMs 375H&H, 416Rigby and 458 Lott. While I don't like the square corners on the Rugers I think you get much more rifle for the money. If I where to have a 416Rem it would be in the new model 70 not the CZ.
Rigby or Remington? No doubt Rigby all the way. Lower pressure and you can easily hit 2400 with a 400grainer, extract and feed well and again lower pressure!
No doubt, the Ruger RSM is one of the finest production rifles Ruger ever made, I gladly take one any day. There price has gone up because of limited supply, but it's a great rifle.
Again no doubt the 416 Rigby is nice but you will pay for it too. I doubt very much the animals can tell the difference between the two. Thanks to Remington for bringing out the 416 Rem over 25 years ago the .416 Rigby found new life....because it was largely forgotten by then.

I am not a fan of the Big CZs.........they are just too damn big and clunky feeling to me

I have a CZ550. It shoots great. Solid as a rock. Probably the most indestructible rifle I have. But I agree they are big and bulky. The Rugers fit me much better. If I was Brickburns size it wouldn't be an issue.

I keep the CZ because I am waiting on my growth spurt!:)

....................and again, we miss the point of the OP not giving a hoot about magnum belts as was posted on the first page...........................

Have shot magnums before, don't have a use for them personally. I absolutely abhor the "magnum belt" that could have the propensity for hanging up at the most in-opportune moment. I also don't like the idea of sizing off of the belt, where sizing should be measured at the shoulder of a cartridge for good solid chambering.

...................So, please quit posting about the Remington magnum. I haven't liked any Remington product produced after 1965 and damn sure can't stand magnum cartridges with belts. Thank you.

BTW, I do have a lead on a stainless steel action and barrel for a 404 Jeffrey build. Will buy a piece at a time and get it together at some point. Looks like it will cost about $1500 for parts and shipping.

missed yer comment about hating belted magnums, sorry.

-matt

I own a CZ in 416 Rigby like the one pictured. I have had no issues with mine. I went with the Rigby due to its history and I was already set up to reload for it. I also at the time owned a Ruger No. 1 in 416 Rigby. I now also own a CZ in 500 Jeff. So far no issues with it either, although the 500 and I are still getting to know each other.

416 Rigby , it hits with authority

CZ550 probably the best value for money 416 Rigby that is made

the 550's do need to be worked on but you will not be disappointed

Treat that 500 Jeffery with respect, and she'll be nice to you. I love mine.

A late Christmas present to self is a set of dies and shell holders for a 416 Rigby. Brass and bullets to trickle in during the year with the rifle coming sometime late summer or early fall.

A late Christmas present to self is a set of dies and shell holders for a 416 Rigby. Brass and bullets to trickle in during the year with the rifle coming sometime late summer or early fall.

what rifle make or are you having one built up?

The only real argument I hear against the .416 Rigby v. the .416 RUM is that the latter is less expensive to shoot.

And of course that's true. Ammo is cheaper. But really, this isn't a .30-06. How often will you really shoot this rifle? So often that the cost will make a real difference? Likely not.

So do the right thing! Get the Rigby!

One advantage is that you will never have to explain to anyone why you got the Rigby. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg