.416 Rigby racket..

Tam Dl

AH veteran
Reaction score
Are the Ruger # 1s tropicals, one of those rifles with a fixed form factor, where the bigger the bore, the lighter the overall rifle weight, as a result of the added metal removed? I think they call that "reverse engineering".

Forrest Halley

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Are the Ruger # 1s tropicals, one of those rifles with a fixed form factor, where the bigger the bore, the lighter the overall rifle weight, as a result of the added metal removed? I think they call that "reverse engineering".
No, not exactly. They end up around 9½# with a tropical and a D weight barrel in .458 Lott. Theoretically they should weigh more for the Rigby and the smaller bores, but they have been known to use the C weight barrels in some cases with the tropicals and this results in real boomers. I believe the .404 Jeffery was done this way as was the .450/.400 which make them less congenial for the average #1 connoisseur. This is also why you'll sometimes hear lamentations from those with #1's in .45-70 and ever so occasionally a lost soul who thinks he's got a .45-70 tropical.

I'm not a collector of these rifles. I have one in .375 H&H and .458 Lott. The are vastly different upon inspection. The .375 appears very well thought out and proportional, yet it is apparent that it's a "large" caliber rifle and not something common in a deer camp by any means. The .458 is in another group entirely as its profoundly thick barrel contour and open sights almost shout big bore.

Art Lambart II

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI, QDMA
Hunted
MI, TX, MO, South Africa Limpopo & Northwest Provinces
I own and shoot a Ruger #1 in 416 Rigby. My rifle has a Leupold DG scope and a mercury recoil reducer and weighs in at 11-1/2 pounds. I don’t find it unpleasant or difficult to shoot, but I’m not recoil shy. If you can shoot a 12ga with 3” slugs you can shoot a DG rifle. Correct shooting form is the most important thing to shooting a DG rifle well. Good form controls and softens recoil, bad form multiplies recoil. My #1 clover leaf’s shots at 50 yards and is under 1” at 100 yards, I would have no problem using my 416 Rigby at 200 yards.

Spooksar

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI, Dallas Safari Club, NFA ,CSSA NRA, CCFR
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, Canada (BC, Alberta Nunavet) Texas, New Mexico
I have had a no1 in 416Rigby, it was a horrible rifle. Why? Because the stock was "shaped" more lie a 2x6 pice of lumber then a rifle stock.
Sold it on. But pretty sure a proper stock would tame the beast to a manageable gun.
I find Ruger stocks in any rifle leave something to be desired

geoff rath

AH fanatic
Reaction score
I find Ruger stocks in any rifle leave something to be desired
For the heavier (tropical) rifles they definitely need a "straighter" stock,( a change of the angle of the butt, and less drop). Difference is chalk and cheese.

pjaln

AH senior member
Reaction score
for some reason I can't load my video of shooting my rigby but its not that bad

fourfive8

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Botswana
After all the build-up and internet keyboard advice... haven't heard from @OL'SMOKEY since the 18th. :)

Screen Shot 2021-12-31 at 5.08.51 PM.png

HWL

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Germany, Austria, Norway
Probably he had no luck.....? ;)

HWL

IvW

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASA, CHASA
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Namibia,Zambia
Nr 1 is not known for being recoil shy....

WAB

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
We’re all anxiously awaiting your range report from shooting that 416…

Very strange format in your response on the “originally posted by”. I wonder if Ol Smoky is still a member.

Kevin Peacocke

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SouthAfrica
I didn't find my 375 H&H Tropical bad at all. When I was bench shooting I found the most comfortable was to free rest the forend on the sandbag and use my left hand to pull the stock into my shoulder. It was also the most accurate like that.

NE 7x57

AH veteran
Reaction score
Love to shoot my Ruger #1s. Both are in 7x57 but the international is a viscous little rifle off the bench, I'd just about rather shoot my 300wm. It's no so much the recoil as the way it slaps me in the face. The other one was bought as a barreled action and the previous owner made the stock, it's easier to shoot.

I can't even imagine one in 416 :oops: at least not off a bench.

Forrest Halley

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
After all the build-up and internet keyboard advice... haven't heard from @OL'SMOKEY since the 18th. :)

View attachment 491544
He's likely a little weary of picking his head up after all this. Hahaha
Very strange format in your response on the “originally posted by”. I wonder if Ol Smoky is still a member.
Same guy...if you click and hit the posts table you'll see.
I didn't find my 375 H&H Tropical bad at all. When I was bench shooting I found the most comfortable was to free rest the forend on the sandbag and use my left hand to pull the stock into my shoulder. It was also the most accurate like that.
.375 H&H Tropical may well be the Belle of the ball.

colorado

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Love to shoot my Ruger #1s. Both are in 7x57 but the international is a viscous little rifle off the bench, I'd just about rather shoot my 300wm. It's no so much the recoil as the way it slaps me in the face. The other one was bought as a barreled action and the previous owner made the stock, it's easier to shoot.

I can't even imagine one in 416 :oops: at least not off a bench.

I'm with you. Ruger No. 1s as beautiful as they are slap me. My mildest recoiling big or medium bore rifle is my 7 1/2 lb (with scope) Rem XCR II in 375 Weatherby. With 375 H&H factory rounds it's a total pussycat. My CZ 550 in 500 Jeffery is a little more "sporty".

Sjakon

Gold supporter
AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Life Member Sporting Shooters Association of Australia and Life Member NRA
Hunted
Indonesia and Australia
I have a never shot nor heard the likes of the .416 Rigby! I recently purchased a Ruger No.1 in this caliber and SUNDAY.. is GUNDAY! Fellas, what can I expect? Can anyone describe what it sounds like? I can imagine this thing is going to get everyone's attention,..ESPECIALLY ME!!
I made the first shot from my new Mauser .416 Rigby on a bench and got cut by the scope despite using a Caldwell Shooting Rest. After fixing windage it shot nicely at 50 and 100m. Leaving for Limpopo in 2 days.

rookhawk

Silver supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
I have a never shot nor heard the likes of the .416 Rigby! I recently purchased a Ruger No.1 in this caliber and SUNDAY.. is GUNDAY! Fellas, what can I expect? Can anyone describe what it sounds like? I can imagine this thing is going to get everyone's attention,..ESPECIALLY ME!!

On a Ruger #1 its like an angry donkey kicking you in the face. Way too light of a gun for a comfortable shooting experience in my opinion. I’m now going to peruse your thread to the end and see if you came to that conclusion.

4adam12

AH senior member
Reaction score
Shot mine today, 93g 4831, 400g Barnes solid, wasn’t bad. I couldn’t tell a big difference between that and the 450/400 with 75g 4831 and a 400g Hornady DGS. I figured it would be more noticeable than it was, 416 may weigh more. Shot 20 of each.

Woodcarver

Bronze supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA Benefactor Life, Ducks Unlimited Life, RMEF Life, NAHC Life
Hunted
USA (CO, KS, TX, WA, AZ, TN), Alberta, Canada
He was taking a companion. Could be he has been preoccupied and still recovering from both experiences. :A Shades:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smtepoxyadhesive

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nevada Mike wrote on qmrp2567's profile.
375 H&H brass...

I'd like to have them. $125 for the 100 cases, don't want the smashed ones.

I am in Sonoita, AZ

Mike
We cannot wait to share in some amazing adventures with everyone in 2023 again! Please don't hesitate to message us for a quote, customized safari or even just a chat! #HuntBaylySippel
BLJC30 wrote on Tgood1's profile.
I seen a post saying that you do taxidermy in WV. Where are you located in WV and do you have a price list?
I'm going on my first safari in June.
SteveSac wrote on mdwest's profile.
Hey There,

Im looking to book my first African Safari for 2024 for my 40th birthday. I've never hunted Africa before, but was going to head to SA with my wife for a week then see her off and then stay and hunt.

Saw your safari come up as a recommendation and wondering if you had any time to chat.
Thanks!
Steve
ofbiro wrote on Theleatherman's profile.
Hi Theleatherman, I attach two price lists, one in English, one in Italian, because several words of the language used by the agent are very difficult to understand. If you get in touch with Laszlo Keresztes (owner/manager) tell him that you got the name from Paolo Sinha, italian hunter.
Suerte!