416 rigby or 416 remington?

PB458wm

AH member
Reaction score
Hello all! I am sure this question comes up often but I was hoping to get some input on a upcoming opportunity I have. I have the opportunity to purchase either a Winchester model 70 in 416 remington, and looks almost brand new. The other option is a Ruger (not sure the model) in 416 rigby, looks to have more wear than the Winchester but still in great condition. I don't have a lot of experience with either cartridge, but have been shooting a 458 win mag for several years. I will primarily be reloading ammunition for rifle that I chose. With this what would you recommend?

This is a Pepsi vs Coke question.

Rigby is the classic 416 with more capability when reloaded, but it’s more expensive in factory ammo. The Remington is perfectly capable, more affordable option, but in a belted cartridge similar to your 458. It’s more a question of personal taste.

The Ruger RSM in a Rigby is more difficult to come by as they quit making them. However, the CRF Model 70 design is no slouch.

My personal taste is the Mod 70 in 416 Remington.

I have owned both.
The Winchester is easier to use (ammo, or reloading costs, good handling), but a Ruger RSM Safari Magnum in 416 Rigby is a special rifle.

I do not see another American gun company offering this level of safari rifle, as in the foreseeable future. Current costs would be ridiculous. As others have stated, just the machining of the integral Quarter Rib, and Recoil lug for the barrel would cost 2x the cost of the whole rifle.

In the future, you can probably buy a Winchester 70 .416 Remington much easier, than a Ruger Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby.

The Ruger will be a good investment going forward.

a Ruger RSM Safari Magnum in 416 Rigby is a special rifle.
Enough said.....But it will also cost you more to buy it (once you find one) and then more to shoot it, factory or reload.

With the current availability of reloading components I would say go with the 416 Remington Magnum. Also the 416 Remington Magnum can be put into a lighter trimmer gun if you're going to do a lot of walking.

The Rigby is definitely a classic and will always be popular. The Remington is a newer cartridge and easier to find brass and loaded ammo. I chose a Remington based on that alone. I doubt a buff or anything else will be able to tell the little difference in ballistics between the two.

When the 416 Remington appeared in 1989 it was so well received some writers predicted it would replace the 416 Rigby. Instead there was a resurgence of the Rigbys popularity. I had been using the 416 Rigby for decades taking scores of Cape buffalo and lots of plains game. As I am a gun nut, I had a 416 Remington custom made to try out In Africa. I work up loads near the coast and found i had to tinker with the sights a bit when on the dry, higher environment of East Africa but no big problems, probably due to the Remingtons higher pressure. Since then have used the Remington to kill a half dozen buffalo and some plains game no problems what so ever. I have two 416 Rigbys and would not trade them for anything. I hasten to add the 416 Remington is a great African cartridge. If that is what you have or want relax you will love it. Kindest Regards

The Ruger has about a $1000 head start on potential resale value if that is even a consideration. Some will say that nostalgia shoots big animals better but I've never seen it. :) The two cartridges are nearly ballistically identical. The very large Rigby cartridge was developed to prevent overpressure by the extremely heat sensitive cordite in hot environments. The oversized cartridge called for oversized actions. The Remington is the more user friendly of the two. Depending on year of manufacture, the Winchester 70 in 416 may be one of the smoothest cycling large rifle actions out there. Modern, temperature insensitive powders like Varget help prevent overpressure issues in cartridges like the 416 Remington.

Both calibres work and have good history in Africa.

The ruger will be hard to find again the winchester rifle not its basically a call between classic and newer model 416.

For me I would take the Rigby as the classic value means more to me.
After you get hold of 80-100 odd cases you will be fine reloading those cases if looked after can be used 10+ times each with the lower pressure value of the Rigby.

Personal preference is what this is about.

both rifles are good.
both calibers are good.
Rem is cheaper to shoot but reloading makes that nearly par
The Winchester is likely cheaper than the ruger although you will always recover the purchase price of the either.

I like the rigby cartridge more and that was my choice.
I’d suggest the rigby in ruger be the one to go for (y):)

As others have suggested, you can’t go wrong with either one. I shoot a 416 Hoffman, essentially the same as the Remington, in a pre-64 model 70. It’s a wonderful rifle in an excellent cartridge. lighter, easier carrying and handling rifle and outstanding dangerous game cartridge.

If I were in your shoes, I’d go with the Remington.

Well, as said apples and oranges. I have both and the stats are about the same but the Rem does need much higher pressure to do what the Rigby does.
If you pick the Rigby order a Lee crimping die it saves cases.
I like the Rigby but for nostalgia only.

Get the Ruger in .416 Rigby. They are discontinued and thus harder to come by. Also resale value (if that sort of thing appeals to you) will be higher than the Winchester in .416 Remington Magnum (which is officially still in production). Also, the .416 Rigby is a lower pressure cartridge than the .416 Remington Magnum.

My DG rifle is a RSM .416 Rigby. I like the cool factor of using traditional calibers, but both will do the job. My only complaint with my Rigby is the limited magazine capacity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MckinleySv

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!