.416 Rigby from prone?

I'll chime in here since we have the exact same rifle. I've never shot mine from prone, and don't plan to. However, I don't plan to hunt deer with it either. What I can tell you, from experience gained in a recent safari, in real action the recoil is just not that bad...especially when the heart is pumping and adrenaline is rushing. Of the eight animals I took, six were with the .416 Rigby and the recoil was unremarkable (though I did get a slight kiss from my scope once). You've made a good choice; the mighty .416 Rigby is an outstanding caliber for Africa!

njc110381
May l ask your height and weight ?
The others are correct . Shooting anything of this large calibre from the prone position may cause damage to your body.
I personally would not recommend anything larger than a 9.3 millimeter mauser cartridge to be fired from the prone position. It is a position which makes your body bear the brunt of the weapon's recoil.
On a related subject , recoil can actually cause severe body damage if one is not careful.
Last year a student at Bangladesh Shooting Federation had his collar bone broken by attempting to shoot an over under 12 bore shot-gun calibrated for the 89 millimeter cartridge . The poor young man was in a great deal of pain.

njc110381
May l ask your height and weight ?
The others are correct . Shooting anything of this large calibre from the prone position may cause damage to your body.
I personally would not recommend anything larger than a 9.3 millimeter mauser cartridge to be fired from the prone position. It is a position which makes your body bear the brunt of the weapon's recoil.
On a related subject , recoil can actually cause severe body damage if one is not careful.
Last year a student at Bangladesh Shooting Federation had his collar bone broken by attempting to shoot an over under 12 bore shot-gun calibrated for the 89 millimeter cartridge . The poor young man was in a great deal of pain.

I'm around 14 stone/85kg. Height 5'7"/1.7m. I can see how that could happen. I hope the poor lad recovered and is able to shoot again now?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WinfredFin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!